ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 8
< 12345 678 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Are you willing to trade up in the first for an LT?
ntexascardfan 02:45 PM 03-16-2021
If so, how much draft capitol are you willing to give up for them and who do you want?
[Reply]
Toad 10:08 AM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
My personal belief is that this is an extraordinarily weird year to ask them to be "right" about the left tackle position due to the overwhelmingly strange year due to COVID.

It's far easier to grade skill position WR's, RB's, CB and safeties this year than DE's and offensive lineman, especially when you're talking about the absolute need for the left tackle to be ready to face the Patriots, Ravens, Redskins, Titans and Bills defenses Week 1, not to mention their division rivals in the Chargers, Raiders and Broncos.

If their rookie left tackle faces a Bill Belichick defense Week 1, he'd better be 100% ready to kick ass because otherwise, Belichick will mind**** him, something that he may not get over for the entire season.

I'm not against them taking a LT in the first but they'd better have less doubt about it than I do because there is the possibility that it could become a disaster of epic proportions and make the Super Bowl look like a picnic.
Nice post. I agree.
More generally, with the difficulty to assess players (COVID opt outs and shortened season), trade ups across all positions may be more risky than usual.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:37 AM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by Stryker:
Check this video - also against Chase Young...DO IT! Do not let him go to the Chargers!

Pretty much every scouting report on Slater starts with something like this:

"Slater doesn’t possess ideal height or length and could be moved inside, but his athletic skill set and overall technique project well as a blind-side protector."

TDN goes into considerably more detail.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...rashawn-slater

Originally Posted by :
For teams that don’t prioritize certain measurable thresholds, he appears to be a viable candidate to do the same in the NFL—based specifically on his work against 2020 No. 2 overall pick Chase Young in pass protection. But Slater’s ceiling is likely lowest on the edge and the further into the heart of the line he transitions, the higher his potential is to become a perennial Pro Bowl player and potential All-Pro candidate in my eyes.

Ideal Role: Starting center (teams will be well within rights to let him fail outside and work in if preferred).
And while his work against Chase Young stands out, you know what doesn't? Getting dominated, in multiple games in different years, by Iowa's AJ Epinesa.

Slater has physical limitations that he can never overcome. He's "maxed out" basically in that the only thing boosting him into this discussion is his mature technique.

A guy like Darrisaw (who the Chargers reportedly covert more than Slater) has a physical body that Slater can't touch and the ability to develop techniques just like Slater.

There's no reason to trade multiple high-round picks to get up there to draft Slater when several NFL teams think he's not suited to actually be an NFL tackle.
[Reply]
kccrow 03:06 PM 03-18-2021
You know who Slater measures the same as?

Jason fucking Peters.

You know who he plays like?

Jason fucking Peters.
[Reply]
kccrow 03:11 PM 03-18-2021
I had the swear in the emphasis there. :-)

I really like Slater. If he falls, oooooooooooh boy. Giggity.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:41 PM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
You know who Slater measures the same as?

Jason fucking Peters.

You know who he plays like?

Jason fucking Peters.
Jason Peters is 2 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier than Slater. Jason Peters has 33 1/8 inch arms while Slater's arms are 32 1/4.

I've seen Slater play A LOT. He lacks ideal length and struggles against guys that are long and lean.

I'm glad you like him. I don't and trading up into the teens for him would be just plain dumb.
[Reply]
htismaqe 06:43 PM 03-18-2021
And to be fair, you said "if he falls". Sure, that's fair.

But my original response was to Stryker, who said "don't let him go to the Chargers". They pick 13th.
[Reply]
Stryker 06:48 PM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Pretty much every scouting report on Slater starts with something like this:

"Slater doesn’t possess ideal height or length and could be moved inside, but his athletic skill set and overall technique project well as a blind-side protector."

TDN goes into considerably more detail.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles...rashawn-slater

And while his work against Chase Young stands out, you know what doesn't? Getting dominated, in multiple games in different years, by Iowa's AJ Epinesa.

Slater has physical limitations that he can never overcome. He's "maxed out" basically in that the only thing boosting him into this discussion is his mature technique.

A guy like Darrisaw (who the Chargers reportedly covert more than Slater) has a physical body that Slater can't touch and the ability to develop techniques just like Slater.

There's no reason to trade multiple high-round picks to get up there to draft Slater when several NFL teams think he's not suited to actually be an NFL tackle.
I stand corrected and thank you for the input :-)
[Reply]
Stryker 06:53 PM 03-18-2021
And to be fair, you said "if he falls". Sure, that's fair.

But my original response was to Stryker, who said "don't let him go to the Chargers". They pick 13th.
So who do you like? What do you think the Chiefs should do? Move up, stay put, trade back, BPA? What would you like to see happen? Not a smart ass just curious of your opinion.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:16 PM 03-18-2021
Originally Posted by Stryker:
So who do you like? What do you think the Chiefs should do? Move up, stay put, trade back, BPA? What would you like to see happen? Not a smart ass just curious of your opinion.
I'm not trading multiple high round picks for anybody. That's just my take.

I'd stay put and go BPA. But I also firmly believe that trading up for a LT is a panic move. They're not done in free agency. People just need to be patient.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:18 PM 03-18-2021
I'm not trading multiple high round picks for anybody. That's just my take.

I'd stay put and go BPA. But I also firmly believe that trading up for a LT is a panic move. They're not done in free agency. People just need to be patient.
I like it thanks! :-)
[Reply]
kccrow 07:50 PM 03-18-2021
Jason Peters is 2 inches taller and 25 pounds heavier than Slater. Jason Peters has 33 1/8 inch arms while Slater's arms are 32 1/4.

I've seen Slater play A LOT. He lacks ideal length and struggles against guys that are long and lean.

I'm glad you like him. I don't and trading up into the teens for him would be just plain dumb.
Where are you getting your info?

Slater's pro day results were 6'4-1/8" while Peters was 6'4-1/2"
Slater's arms are 33.0" while Peters is 33-1/8"
Slater came in at 304, Peters at 328.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 11:37 PM 03-18-2021
The more I look at mock drafts, I dont think we will need to trade up to get a LT.

Look at the OT rankings thread, every mock I have seen has only the top 4 on that list gone before we pick. That leaves some very good OTs for us!
[Reply]
kccrow 02:31 PM 03-19-2021
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:
The more I look at mock drafts, I dont think we will need to trade up to get a LT.

Look at the OT rankings thread, every mock I have seen has only the top 4 on that list gone before we pick. That leaves some very good OTs for us!
What LT prospects are there that aren't projects that won't likely contribute much in 2021?
[Reply]
Stryker 08:47 PM 03-19-2021
Absolutely - WE NEED AN OT!

We need an OT. If we were to "think" about moving up then we might as well go all the way to the top 10 to grab Penei Sewell. That right now is the ONLY player I would want to trade up for. His projection lately was to the Bengals at 5 but they just sighed Reiff. We moved up for Mahomes why not move up for Sewell and move forward. Fill in other needs after draft for June 1 releases with the money held from not getting Trent Williams. Just my immediate .02
Chiefs gave up pick 27, a 3rd and the first in 2018. Give the Bengals our 31st, a 3rd and 2022s 1st and see if they bite.
[Reply]
kccrow 09:32 PM 03-19-2021
Shit, while we're at it let's just trade Tyreek to the Dolphins for 3 and 18. No balls, no blue chips. Let's go.

Sign FA DE Jordan Jenkins, SS Kenny Vaccaro, and WR Willie Snead
1-03. LT Penei Sewell, Oregon
Tyreek Hill to Miami for 3 and 18.
1-10. WR Jalen Waddle, Alabama
Trade Dallas 18 and 31 for 10 and 75.
2-46. OC Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
Trade 63, 94, and 144 to NE for 46
3-75. TE Hunter Long, Boston College
4-136. DE Janarius Robinson, Florida State
5-156. LB/SS JaCoby Stevens, LSU
Trade 175 and 205 to Philadelphia for 156
5-181. WR Josh Palmer