ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 44
« First < 313738394041 424344 >
Media Center>Lord of the Rings - Rings of Power
BigRedChief 05:38 PM 04-05-2018
Premieres Sept. 2nd

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:53 AM 10-17-2022
it's not disappointing, because it's a gandalf origin story, and we've never seen that
[Reply]
loochy 02:27 PM 10-17-2022
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
it's not disappointing, because it's a gandalf origin story, and we've never seen that
I really don't think it's him. They are directly conflicting two things from the books. 1) the time of his arrival 2) him heading east to Rhun. Gandalf's travels were restricted to western middle earth

Originally Posted by :
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir mong the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves, Olorin I was in youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not."

[Reply]
ModSocks 02:34 PM 10-17-2022
Kinda lacked "boom" for a season finale imo. Didn't leave me with any anticipation for the next season.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 03:13 PM 10-17-2022
Originally Posted by loochy:
I really don't think it's him. They are directly conflicting two things from the books. 1) the time of his arrival 2) him heading east to Rhun. Gandalf's travels were restricted to western middle earth
Ah, I see the problem. You are assuming the showrunners are trying to stick exactly to Tolkien canon lore instead of trying to make an entertaining TV show with a character audiences are familiar with.

Everything they've shown us in the actual show itself has suggested it is Gandalf to this point. Are they really gonna have the guy reciting Gandalf lines from a celebrated film series and then have him not be Gandalf? That would be quite the swerve.
[Reply]
loochy 03:17 PM 10-17-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Kinda lacked "boom" for a season finale imo. Didn't leave me with any anticipation for the next season.
That's because we already know what happens. It's tough to be suspenseful in a story with a pre-written framework. They should really focus more on the original characters IMO
[Reply]
Bowser 03:24 PM 10-17-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I think the "boom" was supposed to be the Sauron reveal, but most had already figured that out. And also the Gandalf/not-Gandalf as Sauron, but really he's Gandalf (not-Gandalf)! I agree that he IS Gandalf just based on the fact he's speaking Gandalf lines, as others have said.

As a fan not up on The Silmarillion, is it possible that Adar is the Witch King of Angmar, eventually, or are the Nazgul all former men that were once kings? Trying to figure out what his role is, for when he was asked if he's a god, he answers "not yet".
[Reply]
loochy 03:25 PM 10-17-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Ah, I see the problem. You are assuming the showrunners are trying to stick exactly to Tolkien canon lore instead of trying to make an entertaining TV show with a character audiences are familiar with.

Everything they've shown us in the actual show itself has suggested it is Gandalf to this point. Are they really gonna have the guy reciting Gandalf lines from a celebrated film series and then have him not be Gandalf? That would be quite the swerve.
Yeah, there are plenty of completely vague and unexplained areas for them to expand into that they don't need to contradict what has already been said.
[Reply]
loochy 03:31 PM 10-17-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I think the "boom" was supposed to be the Sauron reveal, but most had already figured that out. And also the Gandalf/not-Gandalf as Sauron, but really he's Gandalf (not-Gandalf)! I agree that he IS Gandalf just based on the fact he's speaking Gandalf lines, as others have said.

As a fan not up on The Silmarillion, is it possible that Adar is the Witch King of Angmar, eventually, or are the Nazgul all former men that were once kings? Trying to figure out what his role is, for when he was asked if he's a god, he answers "not yet".
Heh, yeah, Lord of the Southlands (Mordor). He's not as pretty/sneaky/silver tongue as I thought. I expected something like a beautiful elf with the silver tongue of Presidential Bill Clinton.

I think Adar is one of the original ancient elves that Melkor corrupted when creating the orcs. I believe him when he says that he cares for the orcs and despises Sauron for the way he treats them. I'm guessing he has some plan to try to rise up and challenge Sauron.

The Witch King, at this point, wouldn't be in the story because he came into the service of Sauron because of the corrupting gift of one of the nine rings that haven't been created yet. If he was alive or in power at this point, he'd be up in Angmar doing Angmar things.

Also, the nine rings went to men. Adar is not a man, he's an elf / abomination.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:40 PM 10-17-2022
^^^that said, I am REALLY looking forward to the creation of the nine

that's going to be completely badass
[Reply]
loochy 04:02 PM 10-17-2022
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
^^^that said, I am REALLY looking forward to the creation of the nine

that's going to be completely badass

I'm looking forward to seeing how Sauron goes from Numenorian prisoner to Ar Pharazon's most trusted advisor and how he convinces most of Numenor to worship Melkor. Like WTF man?
[Reply]
Bowser 04:20 PM 10-17-2022
Since you two are here, a quick question - in the movie Return of the King, did Gandalf say the pirates that showed up, only to be slaughtered by Aragon's band of ghost demons, were from Numenor? From what we've seen, Numenor seems to be a big deal, but it's hardly even referenced in the movies (I assume Sauron eventually destroys the place, but I really don't know).
[Reply]
loochy 04:33 PM 10-17-2022
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Since you two are here, a quick question - in the movie Return of the King, did Gandalf say the pirates that showed up, only to be slaughtered by Aragon's band of ghost demons, were from Numenor? From what we've seen, Numenor seems to be a big deal, but it's hardly even referenced in the movies (I assume Sauron eventually destroys the place, but I really don't know).

They were Corsairs of Umbar. Technically they were of Numenorian descent because they broke away from Gondor in a sort of civil war
[Reply]
tredadda 07:50 PM 10-17-2022
If they are fine injecting Gandalf into the second age I don’t see why him going to Rhun is a stretch.
[Reply]
loochy 08:00 PM 10-17-2022
Originally Posted by tredadda:
If they are fine injecting Gandalf into the second age I don’t see why him going to Rhun is a stretch.

Might as well have Obi Wan come and save the harfoots from the Klingons
[Reply]
tredadda 08:01 PM 10-17-2022
I'm looking forward to seeing how Sauron goes from Numenorian prisoner to Ar Pharazon's most trusted advisor and how he convinces most of Numenor to worship Melkor. Like WTF man?
I am fascinated to see him return to Numenor and see how he convinces them to foolishly sail west and eventually the whole island being destroyed. The Queen Regent got a glimpse of what’s to come. Just waiting for next season to see if it happens.
[Reply]
Page 41 of 44
« First < 313738394041 424344 >
Up