ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 78
« First < 7891011 121314152161 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Walt Disney World
Brianfo 12:01 PM 01-11-2006
My wife and I will be taking 2 small children to Walt Disney World in Florida in 2 weeks. I get to go as a bonus thru my work. We are staying at the Hilton. My question is what is the weather like down there in January? Any good ideas on what to see and do with twins that are 2 years old? I am kind of looking forward to it. A chance to get out of Iowa in January. Oh well, enought blabbing. Any responses are greatly appreciated.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:16 PM 07-07-2008
Originally Posted by mmaddog:
FastPass is great....and can be used to to even more advantage when properly utilized.
Fastpass rocks. Disney does an amazing job of ride loading as well. Especially in comparison to the average SIx Flags type of theme park. The employees are very well trained.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 06:37 PM 07-07-2008
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Fastpass rocks. Disney does an amazing job of ride loading as well. Especially in comparison to the average SIx Flags type of theme park. The employees are very well trained.
What I really like about Disney is how clean they keep the Parks and how quickly they keep the lines moving. It's almost like they have someone watching every ride from a monitor board and add cars to the rides to accomodate the increase in ridership.

mmaddog
[Reply]
007 08:00 PM 07-07-2008
What I really like about Disney is how clean they keep the Parks and how quickly they keep the lines moving. It's almost like they have someone watching every ride from a monitor board and add cars to the rides to accomodate the increase in ridership.

mmaddog
Agreed on that. They keep the lines moving well. I love that most all of the rides have interactive lines too.

Sure wish Walmart would do that with their checkout lines. heh
[Reply]
007 08:02 PM 07-07-2008
The problem with most people that go is that they refuse to enjoy the parks like they are kids. The Magic Kingdom is meant to be enjoyed like you aren't an adult....but most people have a pole stuck up their butt and can't do that.

mmaddog
I spent the entire trip just enjoying watching my kids have fun. We had our challenging days but in the end, they had fun and that was all that mattered to me.
[Reply]
wutamess 08:36 PM 07-07-2008
The problem with most people that go is that they refuse to enjoy the parks like they are kids. The Magic Kingdom is meant to be enjoyed like you aren't an adult....but most people have a pole stuck up their butt and can't do that.

mmaddog
Guilty!
Hated the freaking hot ass concrete/asphalt jungle of Epcot Center.
Wouldn't go back unless kids wanted to go.
I'll keep them ignorant.
[Reply]
Silock 10:15 PM 07-07-2008
Originally Posted by Silock:
Anyone have any recommendations on things to do at WDW that are inexpensive, yet something people don't do often? Like a backstage tour kind of thing or something?
^
[Reply]
007 10:19 PM 07-07-2008
^
Outside of the character meals (which technically are popular), I have no idea. Mmaddog would be the authority to turn to here I think.
[Reply]
Mosbonian 11:22 PM 07-07-2008
Anyone have any recommendations on things to do at WDW that are inexpensive, yet something people don't do often? Like a backstage tour kind of thing or something?
Backstage tours are expensive....if you are looking for something inexpensive and fun try the Chip-N-Dale Campfire Sing Along at Fort Wilderness one evening. About the only cost is food/drinks if you don't take it yourself. You get the chance to roast marshmallows, have a sing-along, and see 1 or 2 Disney movies all outdoors. Bring a blanket and sit on the ground or sit in the bleachers.

Depending on the time of year, go to Downtown Disney in the evening. There is usually some type of free entertainment at the stage area near the World of Disney Store. Go early enough, buy some ice cream at Ghiradelli's Ice Cream Parlor and crowd watch waiting for the evening festivities.

If you just want to kill an evening and not spend any money and are staying on property, take a tour of all the Disney hotels. The most interesting is the Animal Kingdom Lodge, where you can sit out back of the hotel around a small campfire. Occasionally you will catch a glimpse of one of the animals in the savannah.

One of the fund things to do at each resort is search for the "hidden Mickey's" that are in each resort. A couple of the resorts make a game out of it for the kids, replete with clues to their whereabouts and a prize for locating all of them at the resort.

If you have some time and don't mind forking over $40 you can rent a boat and go out on the Seven Seas Lagoon that is in front of The Magic Kingdom.

These are just a few of the inexpensive things that you can do...if these are your cup of tea, send me a PM telling me what you are specifically looking for and I can help you.

mmaddog
[Reply]
DaKCMan AP 05:41 AM 07-08-2008
Originally Posted by wutamess:
Guilty!
Hated the freaking hot ass concrete/asphalt jungle of Epcot Center.
Wouldn't go back unless kids wanted to go.
I'll keep them ignorant.
Really? Epcot is, by far, my favorite of the 4 parks.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:25 AM 07-08-2008
Your post is so long I will touch each one individually...

Magic Kingdom really is for kids, but there are things that are meant for people of all ages....you didn't mention Mickey's PhilharMagic which is actually pretty cool, and a great place to cool down. Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Railroad are actually pretty cool when it comes to rides, but remember, when you ride Splash Mountain you WILL GET WET! Buzz Lightyear's Star Command just went thru a makeover so that is why it is still fun. Most of the rest of the rides are more mild stuff meant to entertain the younger set.

mmaddog
Which one is Splash Mountain? What does it do exactly?
[Reply]
Lzen 07:28 AM 07-08-2008
Mission:Space is definitely not for everyone....in fact I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who gets dizzy easy or car sick easy. Plus if you have any physical ailments it only amplifies the problems. Test Track is great...I rode it several times. Unlike you I ejoyed Soarin' especially since I got to sit on the top row where the effect is felt the most. And Ellen's Energy Adventure was more enjoyable that I thought it would be. Since your stay there was abbreviated you probably missed Maelstrom which is in the Norway Pavilion and American Pavilion replete with the Fife and Drum Corp. The renovation that was done on Spaceship Earth actually made it disappointing...if you haven't done it once before, I would recommend seeing it, but a 2nd visit isn't worth it.

mmaddog
I forgot to mention Spaceship Earth. Yeah, we thought that one was okay. Rode it a couple of times. It was kind of funny to see our futures. :-)
[Reply]
Lzen 07:29 AM 07-08-2008
Disney Hollywood Studios is the real enigma of all the Parks....it can't get an identity and that is what hurts it. The Star Wars ride, Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular, The Stunt Car Show, Hollywood Tower of Terror, and Aerosmith Roller Coaster and Muppets in 3-D are about all that is there for entertainment. Everything else is pretty mild...this is the park I enjoy the least.

mmaddog
Oh man, I forgot to do the Muppet show. I really wanted to catch that one. Every other one of those we did and enjoyed.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:31 AM 07-08-2008
I assume you rode the Safari first thing in the AM....that is when the animals are most active, mostly because they are being fed. The Tree of Life is so cool...and even more fun to pick out all the animals that are interwoven together in the carvings. The Bugs Life is fun, but it really does scare many little ones, especially at the end (you know what I mean). Expedition Everest is not for anyone scared of roller coasters, but must be ridden at least once. The Kali River Rapids are a ride best enjoyed when you want to cool down, and is another ride that guarantees you WILL leave it wet. My son and I ride the Dinosaur ride at least 3 times when we go. But if you have back or neck problems I wouldn't suggest trying it. You didn't mention the Primeval Whirl in DinoLand...did you ride it? That was actually pretty fun even though it was in an area that is populated with mostly kid oriented rides.

mmaddog
Yes, Safari was the first thing we did so that we would be able to see active animals. Thanks for that advice, btw.
We rode the Dinosaur ride about 2 or 3 times. I really enjoyed it.
I did not like the Primeval Whirl at all. It was to jerky and really didn't spin around at all until you were already half way through the ride.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:35 AM 07-08-2008
Originally Posted by Guru:
Agreed on that. They keep the lines moving well. I love that most all of the rides have interactive lines too.

Sure wish Walmart would do that with their checkout lines. heh
The problem with Walmart is that they do have interactive lines. It's just all geared toward women. When was the last time you saw a men's magazine while waiting int he checkout line?
:-) Walmart!
[Reply]
Lzen 07:37 AM 07-08-2008
Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP:
Really? Epcot is, by far, my favorite of the 4 parks.
I thought Epcot was one of the best, as well. To each his own, I guess.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 78
« First < 7891011 121314152161 > Last »
Up