ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Which one do you pick?
Utah plus $250,000 annual stipend 29 53.70%
North Carolina plus $620,000 annual stipend 25 46.30%
Gosh, I can't decide. 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Mansionmania Tournament: Round 1, Heat 15
Rain Man 07:21 PM 10-17-2021
Mansionmania continues. I'm going to show you the most expensive homes in every state and a few territories, with a few extras thrown in from the largest states to get the tourney up to 64. It'll be a single-elimination tournament.

You will choose among each pair of houses with the following assumptions:

I encourage you to click on the maps in the listings to see the general location and neighborhood.

Also, I will only enter contestants if they have a sufficient number of photos to judge, as determined by me.

Your entries in this heat are:

Utah:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M20381-15928

North Carolina:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M90284-78174

I made a judgment call on Utah. There was one property that was more expensive, but despite being large the house looked really cheap and non-mansionlike, so I figured most of the value was in the land even though the house was large. So I went with the #2 house, and you cannot deny that it was intended to look like a mansion.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:54 PM 10-17-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
2 straight weekends of traveling has got me behind in this, can I still vote in the previous rounds that I missed?
Sure. I'm generally finalizing the scoring of the heats that are three rounds previous since the voting usually stops or the outcome is pretty certain at that point. But comments are always interesting even if the voting is pretty much decided.
[Reply]
Shag 11:12 PM 10-17-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Utah - Great curb appeal. The inside looks like the architect was a 12-year old girl who grew up with Disney, but you could work with it. It's way too white, but throw a few coats of paint around and you can warm it up. The setting is great, and 3,300 acres means that I could while away my time doing lots of little hikes. The pool is too small to be really useful, but I like that it's indoors. It's 60 miles from Salt Lake City and other places like Provo. But Salt Lake City isn't exactly a mecca of arts, culture, and night life. Utah is gorgeous and has low humidity, and it's really unfortunate that the Mormons found it before other people did. All in all, I could live there, but I'd really look forward to my vacations.
This seems to be a common critique of yours across many of the properties, and I'm curious about it. All the pools have seemed of a perfectly reasonable size to me, suitable to how I'd use a pool - relaxing, floating, drinking. What exactly are you looking for in a pool?
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:29 PM 10-17-2021
Originally Posted by Shag:
This seems to be a common critique of yours across many of the properties, and I'm curious about it. All the pools have seemed of a perfectly reasonable size to me, suitable to how I'd use a pool - relaxing, floating, drinking. What exactly are you looking for in a pool?
I wouldn't use a pool for those reasons. Plus, I can't swim. But I'd love to have a pool that's long enough that I can jog in it. A small pool could potentially work if it's got a resistance current, but for the most part I need length.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 06:31 AM 10-18-2021
North Carolina home wins this one easily for me.

First thing I'd spend my massive stipend on would be putting in larger windows.
[Reply]
wazu 09:01 AM 10-18-2021
No-brainer here. One is on the ocean, one isn't.
[Reply]
EPodolak 11:38 AM 10-18-2021
Thought Utah for sure, before looking at the other one. NC by the sea is pretty fantastic though. Yeah I'd love the seaside too much to pass it up.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:39 AM 10-18-2021
This one's a dogfight. It'll be interesting to see who wins.
[Reply]
kepp 02:33 PM 10-18-2021
The interior of the Utah house would need some cosmetic changes, but the acreage and terrain does it for me. I could hike, trail run, mountain bike, hunt...Utah all the way.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:43 PM 10-18-2021
Originally Posted by kepp:
The interior of the Utah house would need some cosmetic changes, but the acreage and terrain does it for me. I could hike, trail run, mountain bike, hunt...Utah all the way.
Can't hear the waves crashing, feel that sea breeze, or swim in the ocean!
[Reply]
Hoover 02:45 PM 10-18-2021
I spent ten days in 2012 in a beach home on the Isle of Palms in South Carolina. I was there to cover the South Carolina presidential primary. I didn't get much done because I just looked at the ocean all day. And as relaxing as that could be, I'd take the Utah place. Give me space. House is a too formal for me, but I'd probably grow into it.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 03:15 PM 10-18-2021
Originally Posted by Hoover:
I spent ten days in 2012 in a beach home on the Isle of Palms in South Carolina. I was there to cover the South Carolina presidential primary. I didn't get much done because I just looked at the ocean all day.

Originally Posted by :
And as relaxing as that could be, I'd take the Utah place. Give me space. House is a too formal for me, but I'd probably grow into it.

[Reply]
Rain Man 03:19 PM 10-18-2021
Originally Posted by kepp:
It would be like living inside a giant wedding cake with the current design. But it's got a lot of potential. A little paint, a couple of big TVs, and I could move right in.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 03:34 PM 10-18-2021
North Carolina easily wins. The house needs a lot of updating, but the stipend has enough for that and a really nice boat.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:21 AM 10-19-2021
I hate the NC house. The Utah home is a bit ostentatious for my taste, but I like it more than the NC home, and I like the land/etc better in Utah.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 06:04 PM 10-19-2021
I like the beach. North Carolina, and I would spend the stipend on hurricane / flood preparation equipment.

Utah just looks fake and sort of creepy. Like if I lived there I would have to have sex with my wife through a hole in a sheet.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up