Page 7 of 52
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Trey Smith Thread*****
Dante84 03:34 PM 05-01-2021
More to come!

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TwistedChief 04:53 PM 05-01-2021
If you’ve allowed a sack in college, Veach wouldn’t even consider taking you home and kicking you out of bed in the morning.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 05:04 PM 05-01-2021

Chiefs just got A REAL GUARD! Congrats brotha can’t wait to see you put on that yellow jacket @TreySmith73 enjoy a great city better people n the best bbq #chiefkingdom y’all got the best pick in the draft !!! Go be great!!!!!!!!!

— Kahlil McKenzie Jr. (@Kahlil_Mckenzie) May 1, 2021

[Reply]
oldman 05:50 PM 05-01-2021
The footwork issues can be fixed with coaching. It's one thing to play with those in college, quite another in the NFL. Let's just hope he listens. The other thing that bothers me is the blood clot issue. I know it's been 2 years, but that willl have to be monitored. I'm OK with this pick at 226.

To the issue of the number linemen, Long and Blythe are cheap 1 year rentals. The only way Wylie should ever see Arrowhead again is on TV. The same thing can be said for Witzmann.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 05:53 PM 05-01-2021
This pick IMO was influenced by the nasty attitude that Osemele brought to the line. Reid commented that it was a welcome addition too
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:06 PM 05-01-2021
Originally Posted by Kellerfox:
They aren’t going to get rid of Rankin as our #4 OT in my opinion, and let’s assume Smith is safe. That likely spells the end of Wylie and Allegretti at a minimum, and maybe LDT if they think Long is he starter at RG. Hope we can get Allegretti onto the PS.
The Chiefs can't cut LDT without taking at least a $5 million dollar dead cap hit, so I don't think there's any doubt he'll make the 53.

Allegretti started way too many games last year for him to slip through waivers and he'd be claimed immediately.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:09 PM 05-01-2021
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Winnebago is a development tackle so it'll depend if they keep 3 or 4.
Well, if Niang is the starting right tackle as expected, I think Remmers will once again be the Swing Tackle and who ever wins the battle battle between Winnebago and Rankin will end up as their second backup.

I tend to think Smith will be the 3rd or 4th guard, with Winnebago on the PS and Rankin outright cut.

It's pretty clear that the Chiefs don't trust Rankin because if they did, Reid would have plugged him into the left tackle position for the Super Bowl.
[Reply]
dirk digler 06:16 PM 05-01-2021
From what I understand he hasn’t had blood clots since 2018 so hopefully he will remain healthy because we just got one of the steals of the draft.
[Reply]
Frosty 06:25 PM 05-01-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
A REAL GUARD. As opposed to a DT that tries to convert to guard, right?
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 06:26 PM 05-01-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
The Chiefs can't cut LDT without taking at least a $5 million dollar dead cap hit, so I don't think there's any doubt he'll make the 53.

Allegretti started way too many games last year for him to slip through waivers and he'd be claimed immediately.
He's also a quality lineman. As last year shows, you cannot have too many of those.
[Reply]
Coach 06:52 PM 05-01-2021
Oh my, I really like the nastiness of this guy.

Looks like Trey was an All-American for a reason �� @TreySmith73 pic.twitter.com/ohRkzLSjUq

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) May 2, 2021

[Reply]
Kellerfox 06:57 PM 05-01-2021
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

The below is based on my understanding of his contract, which very well could be wrong.

His base salary and bonus are guaranteed this year regardless, so the issue is over next years prorated bonus in what is effectively a void year. The options are simple:

Keep LDT for the 2021 season (would be his last year here unless extended) and his cap hit is $4,750,000 this year and $2,000,000 next year when he’s off the roster

OR

Cut LDT and pay all $6,750,000 in 2021 and have more cap space in 2022

I’m not advocating for either approach. Assuming he regains his prior form, he is competing for a starting position and we aren’t cutting a starter. But, if he isn’t the same player he was due to increased age and time off, there is rational logic that may make him an appealing cut. We currently have available cap space in 2021 with very few holes to fill. 2022 may be tight given how few players we have under contract. After Training Camp, if it’s determined that LDT isn’t one of our top 9-10, Veach may prefer to bite the bullet this year to have more flexibility next year.

Again, I think he’s safe and I think he contributes, but I also think there are scenarios where he could be cut.

Edit: Yes, also agree with you that I don’t think Allegretti would make it to the Practice Squad. He would get snatched up. I like him as swing depth... but we’ve also got a lot of depth now and only so many roster spots.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:02 PM 05-01-2021
His base salary and bonus are guaranteed this year regardless, so the issue is over next years prorated bonus in what is effectively a void year. The options are simple:

Keep LDT for the 2021 season (would be his last year here unless extended) and his cap hit is $4,750,000 this year and $2,000,000 next year when he’s off the roster

OR

I’m not advocating for either approach. Assuming he regains his prior form, he is competing for a starting position and we aren’t cutting a starter. But, if he isn’t the same player he was due to increased age and time off, there is rational logic that may make him an appealing cut. We currently have available cap space in 2021 with very few holes to fill. 2022 may be tight given how few players we have under contract. After Training Camp, if it’s determined that LDT isn’t one of our top 9-10, Veach may prefer to bite the bullet this year to have more flexibility next year.

Again, I think he’s safe and I think he contributes, but I also think there are scenarios where he could be cut.
The only way he’s cut is if he’s completely out of shape, lethargic and slow in Training Camp.

Otherwise, the Chiefs would be taking a huge risk with Kyle Long, who hasn’t played in two years and hasn’t been healthy enough to play a full season in six years, and a 6th round guard.

This is going to be, at minimum, a 20 game season and possibly 21. I just don’t see any benefit in cutting LDT unless the dude is just no longer a football player.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07:03 PM 05-01-2021

#ChiefsKingdom I’ll go ahead and ask the obvious question @TreySmith73 and I are thinking as O-Linemen... best bbq joints in KC?

— Creed Humphrey (@creed_humphrey) May 1, 2021

[Reply]
Coach 07:08 PM 05-01-2021
The below is based on my understanding of his contract, which very well could be wrong.

OR

Edit: Yes, also agree with you that I don’t think Allegretti would make it to the Practice Squad. He would get snatched up. I like him as swing depth... but we’ve also got a lot of depth now and only so many roster spots.
You must be new here, so, first thing first:

Welcome aboard. Second thing,

Good post, I like it. I can see that it can go both ways. I think the bigger culprits of likely getting cut first before LDT would be Rankin and Wylie. Wylie was bad, and never really impressed me that much. So I see those two guys getting kicked to the curb first before messing with LDT.

Of course, like you said, if LDT skills has declined because of the opt-out year, I can see that scenario happening as well. But the risk the Chiefs run is that if they lose LDT and keep Wylie, and Long gets injured again.... yeah.

I just feel like Wylie is the worst option to keep on the roster, one way or another.
[Reply]
Mecca 07:09 PM 05-01-2021
So there's a rumor floating that the Chiefs are the only team that medically cleared Smith. Carolina and NE had interest as far back as round 3 and their medical staffs said no go.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 52
« First < 34567 89101117 > Last »
Up