ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Could you field a punt for the Chiefs?
Yes, my hands are solid. 30 27.78%
No, I would massively fugg it up. 78 72.22%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Could you field a punt for the Chiefs?
Red Dawg 02:19 PM 11-28-2022
What say you CP high school football heroes.
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:06 PM 11-28-2022
NFL players are a lot faster and get down the field a lot quicker than high school players. NFL punters kick it was higher than highschool kickers. I doubt any of you could do anything other than call a fair catch.

Could you imagine you see the ball and your trying to track that ball, but you also have NFL players hauling ass down the field so you have to try to judge how close they are or where they are on the field while also trying to catch the ball. Fuck that.

I don't blame Skyy Moore one bit and he shouldn't continuously be put in that situation. Is he supposed to go to his coach and tell him that he's not going to be returning punts anymore? Toub is really starting to make me not like him.
[Reply]
Rain Man 03:06 PM 11-28-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
You'd go viral on Twitter if you pulled it off though.
Some guy who broke up a pass in 1961 is still shown online 60 years later. He's the first documented patriots cheater.

[Reply]
htismaqe 03:07 PM 11-28-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
This is true.

Put that kind of wind into the equation and it's a shit-show.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing it.

I don't think it's as hard as you do. Nobody's saying anything about making a team (I believe that would make the question a nullity as none of us has even the vaguest belief we could make an NFL football team).

But rather, if you won a contest and they said "hey, you get to field the first punt of the 2nd half of X game..." for some weird reason. I dunno, maybe you cured Eric Berry's Haglunds.

Just an average old punt where they're not blasting it away from you and making you run and chase it. you get stationed 50 yards past the LOS in the middle of the field and the punters gives you a solid little 50 yard boot while the coverage is firm enough to hold everyone off you.

I just don't buy the idea that this is some impossible feat.
Sorry man. They were talking about gunners and shit. That's not a halftime contest, that's a game.

Don't get me wrong, I never said fielding a punt was impossibly hard. Just that nobody here could field one. There might be somebody here that could do it but it ain't the people here claiming they can.
[Reply]
dirk digler 03:08 PM 11-28-2022
btw if you ever go to the game early or training camp there is kids out there catching punts all the time so it is not impossible.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:09 PM 11-28-2022
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
btw if you ever go to the game early or training camp there is kids out there catching punts all the time so it is not impossible.
But see, now you're getting into semantics again, stuff that WC doesn't want to consider.

Are we talking about a contest? Or pre-game?

With all the talk of fair catches and NFL gunners, don't you think people are actually talking about fielding a punt DURING A GAME? Because they are.
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:10 PM 11-28-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
This is true.

Put that kind of wind into the equation and it's a shit-show.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing it.

I don't think it's as hard as you do. Nobody's saying anything about making a team (I believe that would make the question a nullity as none of us has even the vaguest belief we could make an NFL football team).

But rather, if you won a contest and they said "hey, you get to field the first punt of the 2nd half of X game..." for some weird reason. I dunno, maybe you cured Eric Berry's Haglunds.

Just an average old punt where they're not blasting it away from you and making you run and chase it. you get stationed 50 yards past the LOS in the middle of the field and the punters gives you a solid little 50 yard boot while the coverage is firm enough to hold everyone off you.

I just don't buy the idea that this is some impossible feat.
But any type of in game situation isn't going to give you those parameters and you will have to deal with some wind, spin on the ball, keeping track of that ball as NFL players are hauling ass down the field to knock the shit out of you. Fielding a punt for the Chiefs sounds like you're in the game and you're a Chiefs player.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:10 PM 11-28-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
:-)

So true! Especially if one should do it naked!
If you can get on a football field naked and catch a punt, you deserve a contract.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 03:10 PM 11-28-2022
The question is a lot more complex than you think. You've simplified it greatly, probably because actually considering said factors is beyond you.
Nah, my calculator is compact, and I never leave home without my astrophysicist to help me figure out all sorts of complex issues, like do I have enough time to pull out into the road before the vehicle approaching gets there, (how fast is the wind blowing, what season is it, what's the weather like, is the sun out, how much tread is on my tires, whats my power to weight ratio in the vehicle im driving, what's the temperature of the asphalt, etc... i mean this is life and death here.)

So yeah, catching a football will be a breeze.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:10 PM 11-28-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
But any type of in game situation isn't going to give you those parameters and you will have to deal with some wind, spin on the ball, keeping track of that ball as NFL players are hauling ass down the field to knock the shit out of you. Fielding a punt for the Chiefs sounds like you're in the game and you're a Chiefs player.
Exactly my point.

The title of the thread says "could you field a punt for the Chiefs". That implies doing it during a game. As a Chief.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:12 PM 11-28-2022
Originally Posted by Wallcrawler:
Nah, my calculator is compact, and I never leave home without my astrophysicist to help me figure out all sorts of complex issues, like do I have enough time to pull out into the road before the vehicle approaching gets there, (how fast is the wind blowing, what season is it, what's the weather like, is the sun out, how much tread is on my tires, whats my power to weight ratio in the vehicle im driving, what's the temperature of the asphalt, etc... i mean this is life and death here.)

So yeah, catching a football will be a breeze.
So you're a truck driver. And you're going to field NFL punts.

:-)
[Reply]
dlphg9 03:12 PM 11-28-2022
But see, now you're getting into semantics again, stuff that WC doesn't want to consider.

With all the talk of fair catches and NFL gunners, don't you think people are actually talking about fielding a punt DURING A GAME? Because they are.
The question is field a punt for the Chiefs and that sounds like an in game situation. The question isn't could you catch a punt. I take the question to mean that you are fielding the punt in a game for the Chiefs.

We seem to agree
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 03:13 PM 11-28-2022
That would be a no.

And I’d dearly love to see anybody here attempt to catch one. If you haven’t had a helmet on and tried to track a punt, you’re kidding yourself.

As a baseball player, it always took a few practices to keep my head from moving while tracking fly balls. Put on a helmet and and look up into the sky and catch a punt coming down from 70/75 feet in the air?

Not a ****ing chance.

If you misplay it by 3 inches, it’s a Tyson punch to your helmeted dome. And if you don’t wear a helmet, I hope to **** there’s a neurosurgeon available fix your skull fracture.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:14 PM 11-28-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Is this a road game or a home game?
Road game.

Minneapolis.

4th and 16 at their own 19, so no chance of a fake.

1st quarter, so a basic punt return coverage.

Moore was hurt in warm-up and you've been chosen from a random drawing, so no time to prepare; just a few minutes to suit up and then a few minutes on the sidelines to do any basic warm ups that doesn't include fielding punts.

You got plenty of sleep the night before and had a hearty breakfast 3 hours ago, including a cup of coffee, then 20oz of Dr Pepper that you finished 5 minutes before kickoff. If you were heading to Costco, you might pee out of the convenience of doing so, but it's not something that's on your mind.

Along with a uniform, helmet, etc; you get your choice of gloves, or to go without. You are provided standard cleats for turf that fit snugly, but not too tight.

You are currently as healthy as you can be, with no temporary issues (no non-chronic soreness or illness). You are otherwise at your current level of fitness, including any chronic/permanent issues, such as only having one arm or tennis elbow that won't fucking go away.

It is currently sunny and 45⁰ outside, and a comfortable 72⁰ inside the dome.

*edit... you are given instruction on where to stand on the field with a high probability the punt would land in front of you if you didn't move (in other words, you'll most likely not have to backpedal to make the catch, but will probably have to move laterally and/or forward). You're given no other information on punter tendencies. It is of course highly recommend to call a fair catch, but that's completely up to you.
[Reply]
dirk digler 03:14 PM 11-28-2022

Sure. In a game cold turkey no fucking way. It would drop on my head and knock me out lol.

But in a game but with alot of practice with a NFL punter for a few weeks...yeah I think I could field a fair catch.
[Reply]
Megatron96 03:15 PM 11-28-2022
They aren't fielding NFL punts in a fucking dome, let alone in weather.
I was trying to be nice.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up