ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 75 of 163
« First < 25657172737475 7677787985125 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Official 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread
TripleThreat 05:48 PM 11-09-2022

YOUNG AMERICANS
The USMNT was by far the youngest team to qualify for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, garnering valuable experience going through the rigors of World Cup qualifying. Through 14 qualifiers, the USA Starting XI came in at an average of 23.82, almost two years younger than the next closest team, Ghana at 25.67. Together, the other 31 participating teams averaged a Starting XI age of 27.5 through qualifying, nearly four full years older than the U.S. Sources say this is one of the youngest, but most talented teams the U.S. has ever fielded. While they may not win the world cup this year, they may garner the experience needed to make a serious run on home soil in the year 2026 when the World Cup comes back to North America.

2022 USA World Cup Roster

FORWARDS
Jesús Ferreira (FC Dallas)
Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders)
Christian Pulisic (Chelsea)
Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund)
Josh Sargent (Norwich City)
Timothy Weah (Lille)
Haji Wright (Antalyaspor)

MIDFIELDERS
Brenden Aaronson (Leeds United)
Kellyn Acosta (LAFC)
Tyler Adams (Leeds United)
Luca de la Torre (Celta Vigo)
Weston McKennie (Juventus)
Yunus Musah (Valencia)
Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders)

DEFENDERS
Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic)
Sergiño Dest (AC Milan)
Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls)
Shaq Moore (Nashville SC)
Tim Ream (Fulham)
Antonee Robinson (Fulham)
Joe Scally (Borussia Monchengladbach)
DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami)
Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC)

GOALKEEPERS
Ethan Horvath (Luton Town)
Sean Johnson (NYCFC)
Matt Turner (Arsenal)
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 08:34 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by TripleThreat:
Yes and no, from my experience it’s all a secondary game on its own. This year is a lot better because of the added stoppage at the end but the last 10-15 minutes is the same as it was back in the early 2000’s…

I don’t fault anyone for hating on the flopping, even European fans hate that garbage which is why I think fifa implemented this new rule.
It's a stain on the sport. That was a really exciting game today and that ridiculousness detracted from it - at least for me. There's got to be something they can do. Make a guy sit if he's down for 30 seconds? Anything.
[Reply]
Mizzou_8541 08:38 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
It's a stain on the sport. That was a really exciting game today and that ridiculousness detracted from it - at least for me. There's got to be something they can do. Make a guy sit if he's down for 30 seconds? Anything.
Until the referees stop placating it, it won’t change.

This is why I love Adams and Aaronson. They don’t ever flop.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 08:47 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541:
Until the referees stop placating it, it won’t change.

This is why I love Adams and Aaronson. They don’t ever flop.
Watch the England vs USA game and then watch Italy play Brazil. Night and day.
[Reply]
Mizzou_8541 09:36 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
Neymar never flops

/sarcasm
[Reply]
BWillie 09:50 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
They should be penalized for flopping. If they were, they would stop doing it. College basketball has been enforcing an auto technical foul, no warning this year on flops and it's really starting to clean up the game.
[Reply]
penguinz 09:57 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by BWillie:
They should be penalized for flopping. If they were, they would stop doing it. College basketball has been enforcing an auto technical foul, no warning this year on flops and it's really starting to clean up the game.
So this is one law in the game the really could update. The current law says that:

attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)" must be sanctioned as unsporting behavior which is misconduct punishable by a yellow card.

So if the referee does whistle this then they are mandated to issue a yellow. No players would finish a game if all the dives/flops are called.

They should update this so that it can be called without the mandated yellow.

As it is the referee must use their judgement on if the flop impacted the ability for the opposing team to play the ball or not. Most often just wave the player up or verbally call him out.
[Reply]
Mizzou_8541 10:03 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by penguinz:
So this is one law in the game the really could update. The current law says that:

attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)" must be sanctioned as unsporting behavior which is misconduct punishable by a yellow card.

So if the referee does whistle this then they are mandated to issue a yellow. No players would finish a game if all the dives/flops are called.

They should update this so that it can be called without the mandated yellow.

As it is the referee must use their judgement on if the flop impacted the ability for the opposing team to play the ball or not. Most often just wave the player up or verbally call him out.
Agree with this completely. Referees view this as part of the game way too much. Start handing out yellows and this bullshit will end quickly. Especially in the box. Watch a full slate of games in the premier league on a given weekend, you will see dudes flopping when if they played through the whistle they could have scored or prevented a score.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:07 PM 11-29-2022
The heat gonna be real interesting with overtimes. Especially since usa seems to love ties and close games. I hope we are better prepared having played in some sweltering heat in southern countries. Though a lot of our players have mostly trained in Europe. In either event it seems like it’s hurting European teams which maybe is good for us. Apart from getting gassed vs wales we seem to keep good energy in the latter stages
[Reply]
TambaBerry 10:09 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by dmahurin:
Ive never really been into soccer until I saw someone recently compare it to basketball in the sense of passing around to try and set up plays and once I understood offsides and what to look for, it's kind of enjoyable.
I did earlier in this thread
[Reply]
Mizzou_8541 10:15 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
The heat gonna be real interesting with overtimes. Especially since usa seems to love ties and close games. I hope we are better prepared having played in some sweltering heat in southern countries. Though a lot of our players have mostly trained in Europe. In either event it seems like it’s hurting European teams which maybe is good for us. Apart from getting gassed vs wales we seem to keep good energy in the latter stages
Really disagree with us getting gassed against wales. Wales players are ancient and we are the second youngest team in the World Cup. Take away Tim Ream (which I don’t want to) we are the youngest team. Two of our most important players play for Leeds and and high press every match. We didn’t get gassed. We got Kim Anderson’d.

Kim Anderson was a historically bad coach for Mizzou if you don’t know. Like…rewrite the record books bad.

We were bad in 2H versus Wales because GB went into a shell. We stopped pushing and tried to defend without an attacking mindset. Saw it today against Iran.

We need to let our midfield play, which surprisingly, has been one of the best this cup.
[Reply]
Eleazar 10:25 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541:
Agree with this completely. Referees view this as part of the game way too much. Start handing out yellows and this bullshit will end quickly. Especially in the box. Watch a full slate of games in the premier league on a given weekend, you will see dudes flopping when if they played through the whistle they could have scored or prevented a score.
The trouble is that it’s so difficult to spot a flop at game speed. even if you wanted greater emphasis on calling it, the ref has to be positioned perfectly in a way that makes it clear the player is diving in order to book someone for simulation.

And there’s also a whole spectrum of what people call diving. How do you separate an obvious flop with no contact from a situation where there is light contact and a player just goes down a little too easily? How do you separate the situations where a player is genuinely in pain and is down until it subsides enough to continue from one where he wasn’t truly hurting?

Even if you are going to have VAR stopping the match after looking at replays, all of these are still judgement calls in the mind of an officialthat are never going to be called consistently and the situation is no better.

What we have now is the best of all possible worlds, where a flop involving a penalty will be seen on VAR and the rest just get ignored.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:32 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by Razaele:
The trouble is that it’s so difficult to spot a flop at game speed. even if you wanted greater emphasis on calling it, the ref has to be positioned perfectly in a way that makes it clear the player is diving in order to book someone for simulation.

And there’s also a whole spectrum of what people call diving. How do you separate an obvious flop with no contact from a situation where there is light contact and a player just goes down a little too easily? How do you separate the situations where a player is genuinely in pain and is down until it subsides enough to continue from one where he wasn’t truly hurting?

Even if you are going to have VAR stopping the match after looking at replays, all of these are still judgement calls in the mind of an officialthat are never going to be called consistently and the situation is no better.

What we have now is the best of all possible worlds, where a flop involving a penalty will be seen on VAR and the rest just get ignored.
That's why you have a team that reviews it after the fact, like they have done in other sports. And they will enforce the penalty retroactively.
[Reply]
TripleThreat 11:30 PM 11-29-2022
Originally Posted by dmahurin:
Ive never really been into soccer until I saw someone recently compare it to basketball in the sense of passing around to try and set up plays and once I understood offsides and what to look for, it's kind of enjoyable.
Welcome to the club brother
[Reply]
Womble 09:21 AM 11-30-2022

[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 09:27 AM 11-30-2022
Originally Posted by Womble:
Haha when your starting forward looks the same as the dead people in the picture you know they’re coming home empty handed again. Also, no one knows who any of those people are besides that pretentious bitch that died in a crash.
[Reply]
Page 75 of 163
« First < 25657172737475 7677787985125 > Last »
Up