ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 26
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Media Center>Building a new PC
TambaBerry 06:12 PM 02-28-2023
Have a 3090 currently but am severely bottlenecked. Looking to get the best possible PC that I can build through microcenter in Kansas City. Looking for high end so like 13900k and ddr5 ram.
[Reply]
Tnerped 08:44 AM 04-29-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
RTX 3070 Ti AORUS MASTER on the way :-)
3070 ti is quite nice. I'm quite happy with mine.

What's with the PCIe SSDs? How are they compared to regular ones?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:19 PM 04-29-2023
Originally Posted by Tnerped:
3070 ti is quite nice. I'm quite happy with mine.

What's with the PCIe SSDs? How are they compared to regular ones?
windows booting up in 10 seconds is uh, nice

if you get a 990 pro update the firmware...i had to create a bootable usb drive
[Reply]
jd1020 01:40 PM 04-29-2023
If you already have a SATA SSD and only use your computer for typical shit then there's no need to upgrade to a NVMe.

The real world performance difference for normal computing is milliseconds. You'll shave minutes off production if you are working with large file transfers, though.
[Reply]
Fish 03:35 PM 04-29-2023
A SATA SSD typically has a read speed of 300-500MB/s. An NVME M.2 typically has a read speed of 3500-7500MB/s.

It's very noticeable. NVMEs are cheap. If you have the capability, definitely do it.
[Reply]
Fish 03:37 PM 04-29-2023
FYI... RAM prices have dropped by about 60% over the last week or so. Even DDR5.
[Reply]
jd1020 09:17 PM 04-29-2023
The definitely noticeable difference between a SATA SSD and a NVMe SSD for your average user.

Like I said, unless you are working with large file transfers where you'll be saving minutes in production, then save your money and put it to better use than upgrading a SATA drive.
[Reply]
Pants 09:54 PM 04-29-2023
I pulled the trigger, boys.

The Micro Center bundle deals are too good to pass up.

Gonna be:

32GB DDR5 RAM
RTX 4080
2TB 990 Pro (snagged on Amazon sale for $180)
360mm AIO liquid cooler

Total budget for everything including Win 11 is about $2,400. After gift cards I had sitting collecting dust and a credit card cash back offer, gonna be under $2,000 out of pocket for me.

I was way overdue.

Next question is, what's the best place to sell my old PC, FB marketplace?
[Reply]
Fish 10:37 PM 04-29-2023
Originally Posted by jd1020:
The definitely noticeable difference between a SATA SSD and a NVMe SSD for your average user.

Like I said, unless you are working with large file transfers where you'll be saving minutes in production, then save your money and put it to better use than upgrading a SATA drive.
No offense, but Windows load times aren't really a good indicator of overall performance in most cases. It's as simple as read/write times, and there's really no argument when you break down the numbers. The difference on average is ~350MB/s compared to ~3500MB/s. You're going to notice that difference in many more areas other than just large file transfers.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:41 PM 04-29-2023
Originally Posted by Pants:

Gonna be:

32GB DDR5 RAM
RTX 4080
360mm AIO liquid cooler
Nice. That's going to be a greasy fast speed demon.

Make sure you update the firmware on the 990 Pro before you do anything else.
[Reply]
Fish 10:58 PM 04-29-2023

Gonna be:

32GB DDR5 RAM
RTX 4080
360mm AIO liquid cooler

Total budget for everything including Win 11 is about $2,400. After gift cards I had sitting collecting dust and a credit card cash back offer, gonna be under $2,000 out of pocket for me.

I was way overdue.

Next question is, what's the best place to sell my old PC, FB marketplace?
Nice. That will be a really sweet rig. Especially for that price.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my mobo/CPU/RAM/etc. Jumping to DDR5 as well. Still waiting on 32GB of DDR5 6000 to arrive, so I can install everything. Upgrading mobo/CPU/RAM/CPU cooler/case fans/adding another 1TB NVME. Plan to overclock Intel i5-12600K, hoping to hit 5+Ghz stable but haven't had a chance to test. New ASUS boards let you OC cores individually, so you can adjust performance cores differently than efficiency cores.

Speaking of.. have you guys seen ASUS's new AIOC? You basically turn it on, and it uses AI to learn your system's system capabilities and cooling in real time with regards to overclocking, cooling, etc. It will sample your running system over a matter of weeks, and automatically overclock your system using settings derived from your sensors and usage to the best it's capable of. You don't have to tweak individual settings and then stress test for hours to see if your settings actually worked. You can automatically overclock an individual system according to what they are actually hardware capable of, as opposed to recommendations. Easy one-click overclocking that can essentially improve your CPU performance by 1-1.5Ghz improvement just by letting the system AI learn how your system works. You can set it to auto overclock your system as long as it stays under a specific target temp, and it will auto overclock up to that temp without any input.

I haven't really looked at any other mobos with this capability because I'm a total ASUS homer, but they likely have similar tech.

If anybody has any questions about overclocking, hit me up I've been pushing systems for a long time.
[Reply]
Fish 11:04 PM 04-29-2023
Description for AMD OC, but it's almost identical to Intel and gives you a good idea of how it works...

[Reply]
Fish 11:25 PM 04-29-2023
Also... NVidia RTX users, don't forget to enable RTX Super Resolution with the most recent driver. It makes a really noticeable difference when streaming from any Chromium based video source. YoutubeTV, Netflix, Disney+, Prime Video, Peacock, etc. If you're streaming video in a Chromium based browser, it will automatically upconvert your video using AI technology taking advantage of the graphics capability of your RTX GPU. It's a very noticeable difference on my system. 720/1080p content looks more like 2K content with most stuff.

[Reply]
Fish 11:29 PM 04-29-2023
For reference... watch these videos before and after you enable it...

[Reply]
Pants 11:40 PM 04-29-2023
Wow, I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks, Fish!!
[Reply]
Fish 11:47 PM 04-29-2023
Wow, I had no idea this was a thing. Thanks, Fish!!
Welcome. I also recommend searching through individual specific settings for your exact GPU/mobo. The settings within the NVidia Control Panel can make a huge difference in your experience. Search for your exact GPU/mobo for the best recommended settings. Do the same for your exact monitor and it's internet recommended settings. Make sure your monitor's most capable resolution is what you're actually running.

Here's a good typical rundown: https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...anel-settings/
[Reply]
Page 13 of 26
« First < 3910111213 1415161723 > Last »
Up