ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Crow's 2024 "What I Want" Mock
kccrow 03:27 AM 04-13-2024
I have struggled in evaluating this year's class. The fits I love I don't feel will be there. Most of the guys I like that should be there have major questions. The more I watch the WR class, the less I think it's all that much of a rare one because most have excessive warts and rankings are all over the place. At the end of the day, this mock always ends up a horrific miss anyhow. So here goes...

1-016 | WR Brian Thomas, Jr. - LSU (6'3" 209)
Trade: 1-32, 2-64, 2025 3rd f/TEN to SEA for 1-16
When it comes down to it, you have to find ways to acquire premium players in the first round. Veach is a day 3 mastermind so I have some faith there that he'll find talent. It comes down to LT or WR and I just don't see talents who are worth their salt at LT being available beyond the 14th pick. Seattle is a prime trade partner with no 2nd round pick and primarily needs a major infusion of talent on the interior offensive line. The Chiefs could have the opportunity to move up and get an elite-level playmaker at WR here. I'd say re-sign Donovan Smith for another season at LT and call it a day. Thomas brings size, elite deep speed, and an LSU pedigree to the table. His 17 receiving TDs this year led the FBS. Thomas looks like a high-level, true #1 target and I don't get that vibe from any of the WRs that could be taken after him.

3-95 | TE Jared Wiley - TCU (6'6" 249)
My list of needs that I think KC should attempt to address this offseason includes WR, LT, IOL, and TE. I'm sticking as close to that theory as I can here and opting to go after a potential Kelce replacement with Wiley. He's the closest comp to Kelce in this draft. Wiley has great size, moves well, possesses good straight-line speed, and sports vice-grips for hands with only one drop in 120 career targets. He has good quickness, not elite, but it should be enough once he learns to run NFL-caliber routes to create space at the breakpoints. He's also a sound blocker. His 8 TDs and 5 red zone TDs this season both led the FBS for TEs. I don't think there's a more complete TE in this class when you look at size, speed, ability, and lack of baggage.

4-131 | OT Delmar Glaze - Maryland (6'4" 315)
Glaze is a smooth mover with outstanding width, premier arm length (34-7/8"), and outstanding grip strength. He has a strong anchor but his foot speed might not be good enough to remain at tackle in the NFL. He looks tailor-made to be an NFL guard though. Glaze takes great angles in the run game and has the athleticism to get to the second level and secure blocks in zone concepts. He played the entirety of his career at LT and RT but looks to have more than adequate lateral agility to handle interior duties and the haunches to anchor against power. At the end of the day, he could also function as a reserve swing OT but he'll need help to his outside with speed rushers who can really push the arc.

5-159 | DT Jaden Crumedy, Mississippi State (6'4" 304)
I really like Mississippi State DTs and Crumedy is no exception. He features outstanding quickness off the snap, which (to me) is trait priority number one, keeps a low pad level with good knee bend, and maintains his balance to stay off the ground and actively in the play. He's a guy that you can fire into the A or B gaps and has experience doing both, which bodes well for him seeing snaps at the 1 and 3 in our scheme. He needs to learn to use his hands with better efficiency and placement, though he has a decent two-arm similar to Chris Jones. He'll also have to maintain better gap control. In the end, Crumedy doesn't need that much work to get to where you need him to be to take meaningful reps, and could be a really good player in year two.

5-173 | WR Ainias Smith, Texas A&M (5'9" 190)
I don't know if there's a better overall gadget player in this class than Ainias Smith and he's one of the more elusive weapons to boot. His recovery from a stress fracture impacted his times in workouts. You can see on tape his quickness off the line and in/out of breaks. Smith has outstanding focus and makes plays on the interior in traffic. He was so valuable as a weapon for Texas A&M that they even had him line up in the backfield and take snaps at running back. Smith's elusiveness and ability to start/stop on a dime made him an excellent YAC player. What makes Smith even more attractive is that he was one of the best punt returners in the nation. If you can get an excellent slot player with special teams ability in the late 5th, consider it a win.

7-221 | RB Blake Watson, Memphis (5'9" 200)
Watson is a former WR turned RB so you know he can make his mark out of the backfield, and there was no doubt on film with 90 receptions for 794 yards and 5 TDs spread over the past two seasons. Watson possesses game-breaking speed (4.40) for the position and outstanding contact balance, which bodes well for his NFL prospects. He has good quickness to the hole and the patience and vision to set up cutbacks in zone. He's older than you like at 24.5, but he's a burn-and-turn guy that you're looking to make hay with as a 3rd down back on a rookie contract. He just has to clean up his pass-blocking to give himself a full-time job. Very much a McKinnon replacement type.

[Reply]
RunKC 09:46 AM 04-14-2024
I will say that I think this draft is going to be focused on multiple weapons for the offense to use this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR, TE and RB all taken. Value is just so good this year

Jared Wiley and Ben Sinnott are my favorite TE’s for us in this draft
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 04:08 PM 04-14-2024
I agree that if we probably need to jump JAX and CIN if we want BTJ.
[Reply]
kccrow 05:39 PM 04-14-2024
Originally Posted by gordonelloyd:
I agree with trading up with Seattle, but I don’t think I would do it for Thomas. We really don’t need superstar, wide receivers, we just need to make sure we don’t have terrible ones having to play like Moore and Toney last year. And it’s unclear if Thomas is that much better that others that we could get later on, especially Franklin. In my view.

I wonder what tackles you thought would be gone by the Seattle pick? Probably Alt and the 3 Fs, but what about Latham? I think he might be worth it at 16. And although we can get a good enough receiver, fairly easily in free agency and later on in the draft, I don’t think the same can be said about a long-term prospect at left tackle. That’s where I think we should concentrate in the draft. And we definitely should resign Smith ans insurance and hope he will be cheap like last year.

I also think if Bowers is available at 16, that would be a great trade up as it would give us another receiver, and an eventual replacement for Kelce.
I addressed this somewhere. At OT the only ones I'm legimately interested in in the first are Alt, Fautanu, and Fashanu. If any were there at the 16 spot, I'd make the move over a WR, honestly. If we're stuck at 32, I'd opt for Troy Franklin if he's there. If not, I'd go Morgan or Suamataia and hope like hell one might work at LT but at least know I'm probably filling my OG problem for next year if not.
[Reply]
iSavedLatin 06:07 PM 04-14-2024
Love this mock! Only question is whether a linebacker or cornerback might be a better grab at 173 instead of Smith. Nothing against the pick, but after investing so much in a top shelf WR, it might be nice filling in some positions of need who can also contribute on special teams.
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 06:56 PM 04-14-2024
I’m all in on this.

Nice work.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:33 PM 04-14-2024
Originally Posted by iSavedLatin:
Love this mock! Only question is whether a linebacker or cornerback might be a better grab at 173 instead of Smith. Nothing against the pick, but after investing so much in a top shelf WR, it might be nice filling in some positions of need who can also contribute on special teams.
I went in the other direction with special teams. Smith is a top-shelf returner.

We have Jones, Christiansen, and Cochrane who have all proven they can play STs at LB. Probably not a ton of reasons to go for another. An LB higher who could be a starter at least next year, yeah I'd consider that.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:22 AM 04-15-2024
If the Chiefs make that type of move and do it to get Thomas, I'd be pretty confident it will work. I don't think this staff would miss on a move like that.

I'm not sure it's what I would do based on what I've read about the player, but the reasoning is sound if you think Thomas is a clear tier separated from the rest of the field.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 12:54 AM 04-16-2024
What if it would take two 1st round pick to move up for BTJ, would we still be willing to make that trade?
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:03 AM 04-16-2024
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
What if it would take two 1st round pick to move up for BTJ, would we still be willing to make that trade?
No I don't think I do. If its two 1's it think its got to be for a LT or a Qb. It's a deep enough class that I couldn't do it.
[Reply]
SAGA45 05:52 PM 04-16-2024
Crow, If time in your personal life ever permitted, you should strongly consider having your own platform devoted to the draft. I believe it'd be very successful.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:36 PM 04-16-2024
Originally Posted by SAGA45:
Crow, If time in your personal life ever permitted, you should strongly consider having your own platform devoted to the draft. I believe it'd be very successful.
For sure! We all love your content here at CP!

I guess I don't know what this board was like before I got here, but have always credited Crow for making the draft section my favorite forum on the internet. I'm addicted! lol

Great stuff!
[Reply]
Stryker 07:03 PM 04-16-2024
I agree that if we probably need to jump JAX and CIN if we want BTJ.
You would HAVE to if you want BTJ.
[Reply]
Stryker 07:11 PM 04-16-2024
Hmmm, YES! But I do not think it will. However, keeping our 2nd and having 2 3rds next year might not be a bad situation to be in
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 11:02 PM 04-21-2024
Crow, I noted PFF upgraded RB Watson to #114 on their big board.

Wondering if he's been "found out" and might not be available any longer in the 7th, I remember Wright was originally a 7th also and now goes late 2nd-early 3rd.

...I'm not trolling, just curious. He's also been one of my favorite 7th round targets also!
[Reply]
kccrow 11:08 PM 04-21-2024
Crow, I noted PFF upgraded RB Watson to #114 on their big board.

Wondering if he's been "found out" and might not be available any longer in the 7th, I remember Wright was originally a 7th also and now goes late 2nd-early 3rd.

...I'm not trolling, just curious. He's also been one of my favorite 7th round targets also!
I don't see top of the 4th with his age but he could very well go 5th round. He's also tremendously undersized if you're looking for a starter. He's a weapon though. I wouldn't rule it out.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up