ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 650 of 1209
« First < 150550600640646647648649650 6516526536546607007501150 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
scho63 10:37 PM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by scho63:
I marinated two GIGANTIC boneless chicken breasts after I cut into large bit sized cubes, DD's for sure, in Lawry's Mediterranean Herb & White Wine Marinade with Lemon Juice & Garlic plus I added 1/2 cup of white wine and a little lime juice.

I'm going to stir fry the chicken, I have some potato and onion perogies for the starch, Asian medley Steamfresh veggies and a small salad of Italian blend with cherry tomotoes, radishes and some red onion with some lite balsamic dressing.

I'll try to remember to take some photos
The chicken was fantastic! My roommate had some and she loved it. My boss was in from DC area the last two days and he tried some and was blown away and also had some of my Mexican bean salad.

Tonight I made 5 loin lamb chops, first searing both sides on stove in stainless pan and then into oven for 15 minuted at 375 to finish.

Photos attached from both nights. :-)
Attached: 20171008_175454.jpg (106.8 KB) 20171011_195257.jpg (97.9 KB) 20171011_195303.jpg (107.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:31 AM 10-13-2017
Didn't want to start a thread about this, and this is the largest group of food people in one thread, so here goes:

My gas oven seems to cook really slowly. Recipes that call for 30-40 minutes can take upwards of an hour. This morning I ran some tests with my ChefAlarm with an air probe in the middle of the oven to get the true temp. Set at 350F, it oscillates between 338F and 376F, for a 357F average - well within acceptable range. Is it the extra water vapor from combustion in the gas oven that's causing the slow cooks, or am I missing something?
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 10:30 AM 10-13-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Didn't want to start a thread about this, and this is the largest group of food people in one thread, so here goes:

My gas oven seems to cook really slowly. Recipes that call for 30-40 minutes can take upwards of an hour. This morning I ran some tests with my ChefAlarm with an air probe in the middle of the oven to get the true temp. Set at 350F, it oscillates between 338F and 376F, for a 357F average - well within acceptable range. Is it the extra water vapor from combustion in the gas oven that's causing the slow cooks, or am I missing something?
What color is your oven, FMB?

Dinny
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:09 AM 10-13-2017
Originally Posted by Dinny Bossa Nova:

Dinny

Standard dark interior.
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 11:33 AM 10-13-2017
Standard dark interior.
I see.

The solution to your problem is very simple, given the thermometer is accurate.

It merely requires an adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Dinny
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 11:41 AM 10-13-2017
I see.

Hope this helps.

Dinny

Huh?
[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:20 PM 10-13-2017

How old is the oven? Is it new to you? LP gas or Nat. gas? convection?
Do the burners all have big blue flames and good color (White followed by blue with very little or no yellow) If not consider looking at gas supply issues. I doubt this is the issue but it just takes a sec to cherck. (This will really only be an issue if you have a low LP tank... but none the less worth noting if the burners are also slacking off.)

Do you have access to the burner tube? It looks something like these and will either be above the broiler drawer or under an access panel. If you have a broiler there will be another burner tube.

Inspect it for corrosion, if bad... replace. if good then fire it up and look for blocked holes or uneven flames. clean as needed.

Are you cooking in the lower half of the oven? I have alway heard to keep it high but that's just the brownies talking
:-) Oh and check the ovens vent tube for blockage for good measure.

Please do not post any, head in the oven suicide pics!!!

After doing those steps my I would make the first call to the manufacturer as they have probably already been there and done that and already own the tee shirt too.

Hope this gets you started in the right direction. FWIW I personally dislike gas ovens unless of course it a Viking or something nice. Give me a gas cook top and an electric convection oven anyday!
[Reply]
cooper barrett 12:22 PM 10-13-2017
I see.

Hope this helps.

Dinny
WTF adjust what?

He did the test properly.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:43 PM 10-13-2017
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
How old is the oven? Is it new to you? LP gas or Nat. gas? convection?
The oven is less than 5 years old; I purchased and had it installed. It's natural gas, convection. However, I used the bake mode for this test, no convection.

Do the burners all have big blue flames and good color (White followed by blue with very little or no yellow) If not consider looking at gas supply issues. I doubt this is the issue but it just takes a sec to cherck. (This will really only be an issue if you have a low LP tank... but none the less worth noting if the burners are also slacking off.)

Do you have access to the burner tube? It looks something like these and will either be above the broiler drawer or under an access panel. If you have a broiler there will be another burner tube.

Inspect it for corrosion, if bad... replace. if good then fire it up and look for blocked holes or uneven flames. clean as needed.
You can't see the burners in my oven, they're hidden beneath the floor of the oven. Regardless, and I'm not trying to be obtuse, why would that even be a consideration? The oven comes to temp without a problem. I'm using a calibrated thermometer air probe from Thermoworks. The oven comes to temp and is well within acceptable range of oscillation. The average temp is only 7 degrees above where it's programmed.

Are you cooking in the lower half of the oven? I have alway heard to keep it high but that's just the brownies talking:-) Oh and check the ovens vent tube for blockage for good measure.
I cook all over the oven, but I generally follow recommended placements. For the test, I got the probe as close to the center of the oven as possible.

Please do not post any, head in the oven suicide pics!!!

After doing those steps my I would make the first call to the manufacturer as they have probably already been there and done that and already own the tee shirt too.

Hope this gets you started in the right direction. FWIW I personally dislike gas ovens unless of course it a Viking or something nice. Give me a gas cook top and an electric convection oven anyday!
We wanted a dual fuel - gas top, electric oven, but unless you're spending $5,000+, those didn't get great user reviews. I did prefer my electric oven, though.
[Reply]
sedated 03:11 PM 10-13-2017

Dinny
I see.

Hope this helps.

Dinny
:-)
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:26 PM 10-13-2017
Possibly my all-time favorite burger tonight

Buttered and grilled marble rye
Grilled onion
Swiss cheese
Massive burger patty
Side of crinkle fries
[Reply]
cooper barrett 03:33 PM 10-13-2017
I would get access to the burner as I assume, being 5 YO, it doesn't have broiler.

It's a "test don't guess" mentality I have as a gas oven is nothing more than a furnace in a box.

When I started teaching automotive electronic repair, I worked for Sun Electric and computers were reeking havoc in the automotive industry. I could not stress strongly enough the need to follow a repair tree or diagram and to stick to the basics I preached fuel, mechanical combustion and ignigtion. I had many a tech's that took shortcuts and it bit them in the ass every time.

In your case checking for proper fuel and combustion would be the first things I would look at. Humor me and inspect the tube? If they didn't go bad they wouldn't sell parts for them. :-):-)

Also what brand is it?

I wanted one of those high dollar units too and $5-7k was way over budget when Kenmore Elite stuff could had for hundreds.

I was budget conscious when I did my kitchen. I bought a Bosch 36" 5 unit gas cooktop and then a matching Bosch 30" wall unit placed in a cabinet that was made for 2 ovens side by side. I figured if the oven broke I could just buy a new oven... I would still have the cooktop. So far no issues.

The spare "hole" was equipped with doors and used to store large cookware and bulky items. I never bought the second oven and love having stock pot and hanging large fry pan storage out of sight but easily accessible.

I have since done my Indiana cabin the same way using budget units.

FYI: I have never owned a microwave.

This is the wall unit and cook top I bought and because of a Bosch connection was able to get it and a gas whole house tank-less water heater all for $2200, five years ago. (cook top and oven retailed for $3K alone)

The oven is less than 5 years old; I purchased and had it installed. It's natural gas, convection. However, I used the bake mode for this test, no convection.

You can't see the burners in my oven, they're hidden beneath the floor of the oven. Regardless, and I'm not trying to be obtuse, why would that even be a consideration? The oven comes to temp without a problem. I'm using a calibrated thermometer air probe from Thermoworks. The oven comes to temp and is well within acceptable range of oscillation. The average temp is only 7 degrees above where it's programmed.

I cook all over the oven, but I generally follow recommended placements. For the test, I got the probe as close to the center of the oven as possible.

We wanted a dual fuel - gas top, electric oven, but unless you're spending $5,000+, those didn't get great user reviews. I did prefer my electric oven, though.

[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:01 PM 10-13-2017
I would get access to the burner as I assume, being 5 YO, it doesn't have broiler.

It's a "test don't guess" mentality I have as a gas oven is nothing more than a furnace in a box.

When I started teaching automotive electronic repair, I worked for Sun Electric and computers were reeking havoc in the automotive industry. I could not stress strongly enough the need to follow a repair tree or diagram and to stick to the basics I preached fuel, mechanical combustion and ignigtion. I had many a tech's that took shortcuts and it bit them in the ass every time.

In your case checking for proper fuel and combustion would be the first things I would look at. Humor me and inspect the tube? If they didn't go bad they wouldn't sell parts for them. :-):-)

Also what brand is it?

I wanted one of those high dollar units too and $5-7k was way over budget when Kenmore Elite stuff could had for hundreds.

I was budget conscious when I did my kitchen. I bought a Bosch 36" 5 unit gas cooktop and then a matching Bosch 30" wall unit placed in a cabinet that was made for 2 ovens side by side. I figured if the oven broke I could just buy a new oven... I would still have the cooktop. So far no issues.

The spare "hole" was equipped with doors and used to store large cookware and bulky items. I never bought the second oven and love having stock pot and hanging large fry pan storage out of sight but easily accessible.

I have since done my Indiana cabin the same way using budget units.

FYI: I have never owned a microwave.

This is the wall unit and cook top I bought and because of a Bosch connection was able to get it and a gas whole house tank-less water heater all for $2200, five years ago. (cook top and oven retailed for $3K alone)
It does have a broiler. I use it regularly.

The slow cooking is not a new development. It's always been this way. It's just that I was thumbing through the manual yesterday and found out how to calibrate the thermostat, so decided to do the testing with the Chef Alarm.

So unless the tube was bad on day 1, I don't think that's it. I'm not a mechanic type; I never claimed to be. I like to say that I try to make enough money so that I can pay someone to do the shit I don't want to do.

Regardless, this makes no sense to me. The unit is heating as expected, so how could it be a fuel or combustion thing? The one thing that does make sense to me is that combustion creates water vapor. In an electric oven, the cook is much dryer.
[Reply]
Dinny Bossa Nova 04:20 PM 10-13-2017
Huh?
WTF adjust what?

He did the test properly.
I'm afraid to say, now.

Y'all gettin' mighty INtense up off in here.

Dinny
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:26 PM 10-13-2017
I'm afraid to say, now.

Y'all gettin' mighty INtense up off in here.

Dinny

I didn't. I just said "huh?"
[Reply]
Page 650 of 1209
« First < 150550600640646647648649650 6516526536546607007501150 > Last »
Up