ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Messi to Miami???
petegz28 04:53 PM 06-07-2023
Lionel Messi chooses Inter Miami, MLS over Barca and Saudi Arabia
https://sports.yahoo.com/lionel-mess...ztDgQw9TNwxWDd

In a monumental move that could alter the course of Major League Soccer, Lionel Messi has decided to sign with Inter Miami.

After days of momentum and a years-long pursuit, MLS and Miami won a three-horse race with Barcelona and Saudi Arabia to sign the world's greatest player.

Messi announced the decision Wednesday in an interview with Mundo Deportivo, which confirmed earlier reports. No contract has yet been signed, and no details have been announced, but it is reportedly a complex 2.5-year deal with a total value well over $100 million.

"I made the decision that I'm going to go to Miami," Messi said in the interview. "I still haven't finalized [the contract] 100% ... But we decided to [take this path]."

In a statement, MLS said that "work remains to finalize a formal agreement," but it concluded: "we look forward to welcoming one of the greatest soccer players of all time to our league."
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:58 PM 06-07-2023
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Wonder how low the other offers were.

He wasn't good at PSG and they had an option to keep him for a 3rd year but cut him. That offer is just slightly less than his PSG contract after 2 poor seasons. Cant imagine he would choose MLS over Barca if it wasn't like double the money.
He didn't get cut. They suspended him because he didn't come to a practice.
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:59 PM 06-07-2023
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
A lot of ignorance in this thread. Messi is Brady and mahomes combined.
If Mahomes ever went slumming and played soccer, he would make people forget about this guy in his first season.
[Reply]
dlphg9 07:59 PM 06-07-2023
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Riding the wave of the recent World Cup will do a lot for a guy who is the GOAT. Still doesnt mean he's better today than Mbappe. Probably put Haaland above him too.
Ok, so he's number 3 at worst? You're acting like he's washed up and doesn't have it anymore.
[Reply]
jd1020 08:03 PM 06-07-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
He didn't get cut. They suspended him because he didn't come to a practice.
PSG held an option for another year. They let him go. Call it what ever you want. I'll call it what it is.

Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Ok, so he's number 3 at worst? You're acting like he's washed up and doesn't have it anymore.
When did I ever say that? I said he didnt play good on PSG. By his standards he didn't. He's pretty clearly declining and thats fine. Father Time is undefeated.

He'll probably rewind the clock 3 years like Zlatan in the US because MLS sucks ass.
[Reply]
dlphg9 08:06 PM 06-07-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
If Mahomes ever went slumming and played soccer, he would make people forget about this guy in his first season.
Oh yeah, no doubt. He'd be the greatest soccer player of all time. Anything he decided he wants to do he would be the best ever at it.
[Reply]
Shag 08:13 PM 06-07-2023
This is pretty cool for American soccer. I like soccer, and enjoy the EPL, but haven't ever gotten into the MLS. San Diego just got an expansion team, and I'll probably end up getting season tickets, as it'll be fun to get in on the ground floor of a team. I hope Messi comes to town in 2025, would be cool to see him play in person.
[Reply]
|Zach| 08:15 PM 06-07-2023
Originally Posted by Shag:
This is pretty cool for American soccer. I like soccer, and enjoy the EPL, but haven't ever gotten into the MLS. San Diego just got an expansion team, and I'll probably end up getting season tickets, as it'll be fun to get in on the ground floor of a team. I hope Messi comes to town in 2025, would be cool to see him play in person.
Was surprised to see the expansion team was not aligned with the Loyal who seem to be doing good things.

What is the stadium situation for San Diego?

Congrats on getting your team.
[Reply]
Shag 08:25 PM 06-07-2023
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
Was surprised to see the expansion team was not aligned with the Loyal who seem to be doing good things.

What is the stadium situation for San Diego?

Congrats on getting your team.
Apparently, MLS reached out to SD Loyal, and they weren't interested. I haven't seen any details beyond that, but a lot of folks down here were surprised it wasn't going to be the Loyal. Hard to imagine them surviving at this point, but SD is a really good soccer town, so we'll see.

SDSU built a new stadium on the site of the old Chargers stadium, which just opened last year. Haven't been yet, but it's supposed to be really nice (and expandable for an NFL team). The NWSL team plays there currently.

Looking forward to having a local team to root for - I'm displaced from all my teams, otherwise.
[Reply]
|Zach| 08:28 PM 06-07-2023
Apparently, MLS reached out to SD Loyal, and they weren't interested. I haven't seen any details beyond that, but a lot of folks down here were surprised it was going to be the Loyal. Hard to imagine them surviving at this point, but SD is a really good soccer town, so we'll see.

SDSU built a new stadium on the site of the old Chargers stadium, which just opened last year. Haven't been yet, but it's supposed to be really nice (and expandable for an NFL team). The NWSL team plays there currently.

Looking forward to having a local team to root for - I'm displaced from all my teams, otherwise.
Love it I will need to add that to my list of away trips.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 08:36 PM 06-07-2023
Originally Posted by petegz28:
My son’s soccer club has over 1,700 kids trying out this Friday. That’s just his club which is one of several Premier clubs in KC. You’re high if you think soccer is not rising in popularity
Youth soccer participation has never resulted in soccer becoming a mainstream spectator sport in America.

The soccer zealots should just accept that soccer will never be anything more than a niche spectator sport in this country… at best on par with hockey and the NHL.

Pele played professional soccer in America, Beckham played in the MLS… it never results into anything more than a novelty act/temporary spike in interest among general sports fans.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 08:44 PM 06-07-2023
Hard to imagine them surviving at this point, but SD is a really good soccer town, so we'll see.
Really good soccer town? It's a great soccer town.

Before the MLS, San Diego had the dynasty team in the old Major Indoor Soccer League.

The city has always been in the top 3-5 American cities of World Cup ratings going back decades.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:28 PM 06-07-2023
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
Really good soccer town? It's a great soccer town.

Before the MLS, San Diego had the dynasty team in the old Major Indoor Soccer League.

The city has always been in the top 3-5 American cities of World Cup ratings going back decades.
Is that why they didnt get the world cup and a fly over town like KC did?
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:29 AM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Is that why they didnt get the world cup and a fly over town like KC did?
Lmao, Got em!!
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 06:44 AM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Still more entertaining than the Raiders, unless of course when they are playing and getting beat down by KC.
The Raiders defense and MLS defense is on the same level.
[Reply]
penguinz 07:28 AM 06-08-2023
Not a fan of Messi at all but those the people in this thread criticizing him have no clue what they are talking about.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up