ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Homemade Hot Sauces and Other Fermented Foods
KCUnited 08:55 AM 06-13-2021
Entering the homemade hot sauce phase of my midlife spiral into total lameness.

I'm mostly wanting to explore different flavor combos and take more control over heat/consistently than what I'm getting off the shelf or Amazon. Thinking I may expand into fermenting other fruits and vegetables as well.

Anyone else making their own hot sauces and/or fermented foods?
[Reply]
lewdog 06:19 PM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I improvise with what I have but am looking into them
Well WTF do you have?!?!

Stop holding out, I’m trying to get serious.

/I don’t need another hobby, fuck!
[Reply]
lewdog 06:25 PM 07-20-2021
These look nice for no burp needed lids.

Fermenting Lids for wide mouth mason jars. 4 waterless airlock fermentation lids kit. Easy Grip fermenter lid with Oxygen Pump automatically Vents air. Tracks ferment date. (4 Lids + Pump) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMNMZN2...ing=UTF8&psc=1
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:30 AM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Well WTF do you have?!?!

Stop holding out, I’m trying to get serious.

/I don’t need another hobby, fuck!
I stuff a layer of shrink wrap over the top of the mixture then put the top of a small glass jar that's roughly the size of the jar opening on top of the shrink wrap.

Anything that fits in your jar and has a little bit of weight will work. You could put a rock inside a ziplock. Anything.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 09:19 AM 07-21-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
Thai dragons are delicious. Were they difficult to grow?
Not at all. I have 4 plants and easily 20+ peppers growing now. Weather in NJ has been several hot and humid days followed by hard rain for a day. I haven't manually watered the peppers in over a month and they look great. I'll snap a picture later.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:21 AM 07-24-2021
My sister-in-law is Mexican and made me homemade salsa when we visited her. She also gave me the recipe since I liked it so much. First batch made.

Also going with a very basic first ferment. Smaller jar is fermenting jalapenos and garlic which will just be used for jalapeno slices on food. Taller jars are hatch chilis and garlic which will be used to make a hot sauce post fermentation. The jars are small so I used the plastic bag method to submerge the top but because they have small openings I just let the bag hang to the outside.

How often should I burp these tight lids? Also, once your fermentation is over do most of you simmer them before bottling?

[Reply]
KCUnited 08:44 AM 07-24-2021

[Reply]
KCUnited 08:52 AM 07-24-2021
How often should I burp these tight lids? Also, once your fermentation is over do most of you simmer them before bottling?
Not sure about burping lids since I use an airlock.

I do not simmer. Usually add some white vinegar, any salt and sugar to taste, blend, strain, then bottle.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:56 AM 07-24-2021
Not sure about burping lids since I use an airlock.

I do not simmer. Usually add some white vinegar, any salt and sugar to taste, blend, strain, then bottle.
They say if you don't simmer it just keep fermenting but refrigerating does slow the process down?

Which airlocks do you have?
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:18 AM 07-24-2021
They say if you don't simmer it just keep fermenting but refrigerating does slow the process down?

Which airlocks do you have?
That's likely true as high temps kill the bugs, but cold storing should negate any continued fermentation risk if that's your concern.

I picked up the lids and airlocks from Amazon. You could probably save some bucks by buying just airlocks and rubber grommets and drilling your existing lids, but I felt $16 delivered to my door was worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075LRMRDQ...roduct_details
[Reply]
lewdog 09:26 AM 07-24-2021
That's likely true as high temps kill the bugs, but cold storing should negate any continued fermentation risk if that's your concern.

I picked up the lids and airlocks from Amazon. You could probably save some bucks by buying just airlocks and rubber grommets and drilling your existing lids, but I felt $16 delivered to my door was worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075LRMRDQ...roduct_details
Nice. I'll look into those. Those are set it and forget it, correct? I linked some others a few posts up but not sure how all these are different.

No problem spending $16, especially if I continue to follow MTG stock tips in the investing thread!

I guess my concern with continued fermentation would just be the bottle exploding if it's continuing to ferment but maybe that's just if it's store on the shelf, not the fridge. I know simmering can help it last longer too, but if I plan on using right away it should be good a few months in the fridge without simmering.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:34 AM 07-24-2021
Nice. I'll look into those. Those are set it and forget it, correct? I linked some others a few posts up but not sure how all these are different.

No problem spending $16, especially if I continue to follow MTG stock tips in the investing thread!

I guess my concern with continued fermentation would just be the bottle exploding if it's continuing to ferment but maybe that's just if it's store on the shelf, not the fridge. I know simmering can help it last longer too, but if I plan on using right away it should be good a few months in the fridge without simmering.
Ah yeah, forgot about that link you posted. Those look nice and might be better with the O2 extractor pump and built in release valve. The date tracker is kind of slick as well. Airlocks are fine but are kind of awkward to store, so those might be worth selling one of your penny stock positions to upgrade.

I don't really plan on long storage unless I decide to experiment with something really dank, like a year long deep fermentation just for science, otherwise I'll just consume whatever within a couple months.
[Reply]
Iconic 01:37 PM 07-24-2021
Not home made but I've heard nothing but amazing things about this.

[Reply]
In58men 02:14 PM 07-24-2021
Originally Posted by Iconic:
Not home made but I've heard nothing but amazing things about this.

Just read the reviews after seeing your post. Sold!! I’ll let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
[Reply]
srvy 02:32 PM 07-24-2021
Its simple to make if you have the Scotch Bonnets.

Inner Beauty Hot Sauce

Chris Schlesinger
Ingredients
2 cups Scotch Bonnet peppers (no stem)
1 ripe mango
⅔ cup inexpensive yellow mustard
⅓ cup orange juice
⅓ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground curry
1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 teaspoons salt
Instructions
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

[Reply]
lewdog 06:07 AM 07-26-2021
Might jump on this starter set. Have a birthday coming.

Just bought a birthday tree yesterday though. Need to prioritize!

Easy Fermenter Wide Mouth Lid Kit (3 Lids + 3 Weights + Pump) – The Complete Starter Kit With Everything You Need To Begin Fermenting https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0789QYV52...ing=UTF8&psc=1
[Reply]
Page 5 of 12
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up