ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 12
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Homemade Hot Sauces and Other Fermented Foods
KCUnited 08:55 AM 06-13-2021
Entering the homemade hot sauce phase of my midlife spiral into total lameness.

I'm mostly wanting to explore different flavor combos and take more control over heat/consistently than what I'm getting off the shelf or Amazon. Thinking I may expand into fermenting other fruits and vegetables as well.

Anyone else making their own hot sauces and/or fermented foods?
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:17 AM 06-20-2021
Final output for the blueberry/blackberry/habanero recipe I posted earlier in the thread

7 day fermentation, netted 3 5oz bottles

Really happy with the deep fruity notes. I've got a beautiful tri tip queued up for tonight, excited to try it with some steak.

[Reply]
Stewie 04:05 PM 06-26-2021
I tried the Ball Fermentation Lids and Springs. Really easy to use and keeps everything under the brine.

[Reply]
Groves 09:41 PM 06-29-2021
Originally Posted by Stewie:
I tried the Ball Fermentation Lids and Springs. Really easy to use and keeps everything under the brine.

That seems like a lot of spring for the application.

Can you elaborate on why you prefer this lid/spring combo better than just other venting lids? Doesn’t the gas produced protect the whole batch even if you don’t have the spring contraption?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Stewie 10:02 PM 06-29-2021
Originally Posted by Groves:
That seems like a lot of spring for the application.

Can you elaborate on why you prefer this lid/spring combo better than just other venting lids? Doesn’t the gas produced protect the whole batch even if you don’t have the spring contraption?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I looked at other venting lids but this combo of lids and springs or weights was cheaper. You need to keep whatever you're fermenting beneath the brine or you can have poor results.

The springs collapse to 3/4" without a whole lot of force. They're doing fine during my first fermention. I'll know more when this batch is done in about 10 days.
[Reply]
Chieftain 02:25 AM 06-30-2021
I lived with a woman from Trinidad a few years back and she introduced me to Matouk's. Highly recommended. It isn't mild but neither is it too hot to handle. What makes this sauce unique is the adding of tropical fruits like papaya.

[Reply]
KCUnited 04:54 PM 07-01-2021
Striving for a Mex/Asian leaning hot sauce with some Umami flavors as I'm beyond bored with straight Sriracha.

Fire roasted some red jalapenos and added some Tamari (Japanese soy sauce). Plan to finish with some white vinegar and garlic.

[Reply]
Stewie 05:08 PM 07-01-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Striving for a Mex/Asian leaning hot sauce with some Umami flavors as I'm beyond bored with straight Sriracha.

Fire roasted some red jalapenos and added some Tamari (Japanese soy sauce). Plan to finish with some white vinegar.
If you do a lot of fermenting Morton Pickling salt is pure salt and 1/2 the price of Kosher. Just saying. Also, always weigh your salt and don't rely on volume measurements.
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:19 PM 07-01-2021
If you do a lot of fermenting Morton Pickling salt is pure salt and 1/2 the price of Kosher. Just saying. Also, always weigh your salt and don't rely on volume measurements.
Awesome, good to know. Feel I've been on this Kosher box for smoking salmon and am cross functioning it towards fermenting, and appreciate the insights.

Would like to get into pickling as I'm for all things briny and spiraling into total lameness.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 06:45 PM 07-01-2021
Fido jars are the way to ferment pepper sauce. I have a 5 liter that I’ve dipped Red Savina pepper mash out of for two years. I use it as a base or it’s tasty straight.

Edit- I’ve never refrigerated the Fido jars. I do however refrigerate my other ferments after the cultures have sufficiently eaten the sugars.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:15 PM 07-01-2021
Just bought salsa from a lady at work who makes it. It’s fantastic!
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 08:43 AM 07-02-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Just bought salsa from a lady at work who makes it. It’s fantastic!
Fermented pico is ridiculous
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 12:31 PM 07-02-2021

Fire roasted some red jalapenos and added some Tamari (Japanese soy sauce). Plan to finish with some white vinegar and garlic.

That looks fucking delicious.

I've been experimenting more with asian pepper sauces recently. Gochujang, chili oil, red pepper relish, etc.
[Reply]
KCUnited 12:43 PM 07-02-2021
Originally Posted by ReynardMuldrake:
That looks fucking delicious.

I've been experimenting more with asian pepper sauces recently. Gochujang, chili oil, red pepper relish, etc.
Have you found any you'd recommend?

I'm pretty green when it comes to Asian sauces but like to make cauliflower fried rice nearly once a week, which was my motivation for experimenting with this sauce.
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 01:00 PM 07-02-2021
Have you found any you'd recommend?

I'm pretty green when it comes to Asian sauces but like to make cauliflower fried rice nearly once a week, which was my motivation for experimenting with this sauce.
I bought a bunch at 888 market over the weekend. I haven't had a chance to try them all yet.

If you are doing rice I would go with some nori komi furikake and sesame oil.
[Reply]
Stewie 06:31 PM 07-10-2021

Two week sauerkraut fermentation with this setup. All I can say is it works really well and the kraut tastes great!

The only thing I'll do differently next time is to use the fine slicing blade on my food processor for more consistent texture of the cabbage.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 12
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up