ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3571 of 3903
« First < 2571307134713521356135673568356935703571 3572357335743575358136213671 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
MahomesMagic 04:34 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by POND_OF_RED:
Dang. Just when I thought we were almost out of this COVID stuff we have two borderline DC threads about it in the lounge (not saying they don’t belong here, just sad how fast it spiraled this way) and we seem just as divided as ever still. This is one hell of a pandemic.

Couldn’t a large spread among the unvaccinated be good in the long run as well, though? If they’re likely never going to give in and get the shot, I would think we’d want to spread as much of the natural antibodies around as we can to attempt to reach the herd immunity that way. This is being said by someone who admittedly doesn’t fully grasp the herd immunity, but from my understanding we were always going to need a mixture of both. Are the hospitals getting overrun in some places again or are we just worried about the rising counts of cases themselves. Haven’t followed along lately with things seeming to clear up, but it’s obvious we’re still in this shit.
Many of the unvaccinated already got Covid while they were preparing our meals, packing our grocery shelves, delivering our Amazon packages.

So yes, many already did their part.
[Reply]
TLO 05:08 PM 07-22-2021
Had a case at one of the places I oversee. Client is older and is immunocompromised. She was infected by a staff who wasn't vaccinated.

All of the other staff in the home were vaccinated and tested negative.

The client is headed to the hospital.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:16 PM 07-22-2021
Dang. Just when I thought we were almost out of this COVID stuff we have two borderline DC threads about it in the lounge (not saying they don’t belong here, just sad how fast it spiraled this way) and we seem just as divided as ever still. This is one hell of a pandemic.

Couldn’t a large spread among the unvaccinated be good in the long run as well, though? If they’re likely never going to give in and get the shot, I would think we’d want to spread as much of the natural antibodies around as we can to attempt to reach the herd immunity that way. This is being said by someone who admittedly doesn’t fully grasp the herd immunity, but from my understanding we were always going to need a mixture of both. Are the hospitals getting overrun in some places again or are we just worried about the rising counts of cases themselves. Haven’t followed along lately with things seeming to clear up, but it’s obvious we’re still in this shit.
I don't think there are truly that many places where hospitals are overrun right now. It's mostly just draining and frustrating for healthcare workers to see so many people getting sick that would have been completely avoided if they would just take the miracle cure we have for it. Of course, we thought things were looking OK last summer as well, so the fall is probably going to be a little rough. (On the plus sides, death rates are much lower now since many vulnerable people are vaccinated, so that should prevent a 2020-level surge in the fall.)

Beyond that, yes, herd immunity comes closer with each shot and each infection, so in a sense it would be a good thing if it just ran wild. It's the whole "people dying" thing that still makes that a less than desirable option.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 05:23 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Had a case at one of the places I oversee. Client is older and is immunocompromised. She was infected by a staff who wasn't vaccinated.

All of the other staff in the home were vaccinated and tested negative.

The client is headed to the hospital.
Man, that really stinks.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:46 PM 07-22-2021
https://katv.com/news/local/northwes...-for-employees
LITTLE ROCK (Talk Business & Politics) — Missouri-based healthcare system Mercy, which has significant operations in Northwest Arkansas and Fort Smith, said Wednesday (July 7) that it would require its employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 by Sept. 30.

In a statement, Mercy said the new requirement comes as the Delta variant of COVID-19 continues to spread rapidly, resulting in an uptick in hospitalizations at Mercy hospitals, including those in Fort Smith and Rogers.

Mercy officials said the situation is even more severe in Missouri, where it has hospitals and clinics in Joplin, Springfield, St. Louis and other locations.

According to the release, Mercy has seen the real-world impact of the protection vaccines provide. The majority of Mercy patients recently hospitalized with COVID-19 have not been vaccinated.

“What we are seeing aligns with the Associated Press analysis of CDC data,” said Dr. John Mohart, Mercy’s senior vice president of clinical services. “More than 95% of recent hospitalizations across the U.S. are people who aren’t vaccinated. The data is clear. Vaccination is key to saving lives.”

https://www.katv.com/news/local/arka...-be-vaccinated

LITTLE ROCK (KATV) — Beginning next month, Arkansas Children’s Hospital will require all leaders and new employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

Starting Aug. 16, all new hospital employment offers will require new employees to get the first dose by their start date and a second dose within 30 days of employment.

By Aug. 20, all hospital leaders, including managers, directors, vice presidents, senior vice presidents, and executive vice presidents, must get a first dose of the vaccine as a condition of employment.

The hospital said that their leaders are currently over 90 percent vaccinated. All leaders must be fully vaccinated by Sept. 30.

Children's reported 11 confirmed COVID-19 hospitalizations Monday along with several more suspected.

"About half of those are critically ill. They’re in our ICU requiring ventilator support or really have COVID-pneumonia," said Dr. Rick Barr, Chief Clinical Officer at Arkansas Children's.

Barr said the hospitalizations are about two to three times more than they saw back in the winter months with COVID-19.

“Previously most of the children that were admitted were incidentally found to be COVID positive," Barr said. "They weren’t admitted because they had COVID. They were admitted for some other reason. Now we’re seeing more and more children admitted because of their COVID infection. That’s the primary reason for their hospital admission."

The most serious cases are those who are adolescents or “tweens.”

"They’re the ones that are in the ICU that have COVID-pneumonia and are requiring significant support," Barr said.

In enacting the changes, the hospital will continue to follow and comply with its policy and practice of accommodating religious and medical exemptions.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:53 PM 07-22-2021
In preparation for this to happen at the hospital, I work at it was announced today that everyone that has already been vaccinated will get a $200 bonus. Everyone in each department will get a $300 bonus if the department is 85% vaccinated or $500 if the department is 90% vaccinated.
My director said that it is expected that it will be mandatory for our hospital by Jan. 1st. This incentive is backed with the idea that when it becomes mandatory if people leave it will be a lesser turnover for the hospital to have to overcome than if they made it mandatory at our current rate of vaccinated employees.
[Reply]
Swanman 06:07 PM 07-22-2021

In a vacuum, herd immunity can come via natural infection. However, variants and mutations occur when there is unchecked spread and a variant in the future could be resistant to the current vaccines and we are back to square one or close to it. That's why it was important for as many people to get vaxxed as possible but some people just didn't want to listen to science. Also, for me the jury is still out on natural immunity because there were reports of people catching it multiple times and in many cases it was worse each successive infection.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 06:21 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Beyond that, yes, herd immunity comes closer with each shot and each infection, so in a sense it would be a good thing if it just ran wild. It's the whole "people dying" thing that still makes that a less than desirable option.
At some point Darwin’s theory will always prevail. I’m getting to a point where it’s going to be hard to really have any sympathy for any unvaccinated deaths now that we have the knowledge and vaccine/ testing availability that we do. I wish everyone could take it, but I’m also not a fan of medical decisions becoming absolutely mandatory. How will we let Darwin weed out the weak if we eliminate our freedom of choice? Not that anyone is saying to make it mandatory. Just my thinking about the vaccine dilemma.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:26 PM 07-22-2021
At some point Darwin’s theory will always prevail. I’m getting to a point where it’s going to be hard to really have any sympathy for any unvaccinated deaths now that we have the knowledge and vaccine/ testing availability that we do. I wish everyone could take it, but I’m also not a fan of medical decisions becoming absolutely mandatory. How will we let Darwin weed out the weak if we eliminate our freedom of choice?
I agree with you and, frankly, don't really have a lot of sympathy left for unvaccinated people who get it at this point. For me, it's just that they're ironically the ones who are holding us back from getting our "freedoms" back at this point.

We have more than enough supply of vaccine. If everyone just did it, we could have thrown the masks in the trash permanently by the end of May. But because we have half of people who are stubborn, uninformed, ignorant, or all three, we'll probably keep having to tiptoe the line for a while because removing restrictions while people keep dying doesn't go over very well.
[Reply]
dirk digler 06:32 PM 07-22-2021
Rich Eisen was just on CNN now and he got COVID(Delta) even with being vaccinated with Pfizer since February. He infected his 7 yr old who got really sick but he had only cold like symptoms. He was pretty pissed and if I get COVID I will be as well. Fuck these people that don’t get vaccinated
[Reply]
Marcellus 06:49 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Rich Eisen was just on CNN now and he got COVID(Delta) even with being vaccinated with Pfizer since February. He infected his 7 yr old who got really sick but he had only cold like symptoms. He was pretty pissed and if I get COVID I will be as well. **** these people that don’t get vaccinated
Wait, so now all the vaccinated people who get covid are going to simply blame the unvaccinated people because they can still get covid when vaccinated?

Come on man.
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:08 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Wait, so now all the vaccinated people who get covid are going to simply blame the unvaccinated people because they can still get covid when vaccinated?

Come on man.
Well, that's kind of how it spreads, right?

Vaccinated people are a decelerator of spread and unvaccinated people are an accelerator of spread. If I get it as a vaccinated person, it's almost assuredly because the virus bounced around through a bunch of unvaccinated people to get to me.
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:18 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:

Come on man.
It has already started and it will be another bitter division in this country.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:21 PM 07-22-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Well, that's kind of how it spreads, right?

Vaccinated people are a decelerator of spread and unvaccinated people are an accelerator of spread. If I get it as a vaccinated person, it's almost assuredly because the virus bounced around through a bunch of unvaccinated people to get to me.
I dont think we know that to be certain. It makes sense to a degree but if we are going to follow science we best stick to following actual science.

The fact that vaccinated people might be walking around with no symptoms due to vaccination but still spreading it could play a big factor in this.

We were sold the idea that vaccination would stop spread and frankly that may not be true. It should lessen severity for certain.
[Reply]
Lprechaun 07:23 PM 07-22-2021
As soon as they say I can sue if something happens to me from taking the vaccine i will consider getting it.
Until then I'm not coming anywhere near that vaccine.
I have a responsibility to my family to be able to provide for them.
The risk of the vaccine complications at the moment far outweigh the risk of the virus.
I also dont discourage anyone from taking it if they want. It's a terrible pandemic for some, others are hardly affected.
It affected everyone differently and not just by becoming ill or not.
[Reply]
Page 3571 of 3903
« First < 2571307134713521356135673568356935703571 3572357335743575358136213671 > Last »
Up