ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3096 of 3903
« First < 2096259629963046308630923093309430953096 30973098309931003106314631963596 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BWillie 07:25 PM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Apparently you haven't ever had the pleasure of fighting with insurance companies. Their business model is to hunt for anything they can to deny you. Whether COVID will live out as one of those reasons I don't know, but it's not a surprise to me that some of them will try.
Nope. Insurance is not charity. The government already forces them to insure tons of things that are not profitable.

Why should an insurance company cover a pre-existing condition? Should your car insurance company cover an already wrecked car? Or pay you for your already missing front end? Of course not.

Blaming the insurance company is one way. Without getting political, there could be another way to give medical care to people. Especially considering sooo many people never have any plan to pay for their medical bills. This just makes doctors and hospitals pass on the bill to the paying typically affluent consumer causing health care costs to go up to people who actually pay for it. Lets make EVERYONE pay for it.
[Reply]
loochy 07:38 PM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Lets make EVERYONE pay for it.
Hel yeah...especially people that have more than me!
[Reply]
stumppy 07:54 PM 11-11-2020
Nope. Insurance is not charity. The government already forces them to insure tons of things that are not profitable.

Why should an insurance company cover a pre-existing condition? Should your car insurance company cover an already wrecked car? Or pay you for your already missing front end? Of course not.
Apples to oranges.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 08:32 PM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
That's because nobody knows what the F is going on. It's kind of a "learn as you go" kind of thing.

Yeah. I mean, come on...they're porous pieces of cloth. They're probably better than nothing though.
I'm shocked pulling my shirt over my nose as I run into the 7-11 isn't stopping this thing.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:56 PM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Wouldn't surprise me if a wide range of events start requiring proof of either antibodies or vaccine. At least until things start to be a bit more controlled.
if average Joe can get the vaccine by April, I could see something like your talking about in place for the summer concerts. And if successful, maybe full NFL stadiums in September?
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:19 PM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
??

If an adult doesn't want to get a vaccine why should they be required to, since they are only risking themselves and others that chose not to be vaccinated?
Even a 90% effective vaccine means you are still at risk even if you are vaccinated.
[Reply]
O.city 10:56 PM 11-11-2020
So if they could get rapid testing into homes where you could essentially test your whole family woth one test wouldn’t that put a halt to this?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:04 PM 11-11-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
They are in business to make a profit.

Blaming the insurance company is one way. Without getting political, there could be another way to give medical care to people. Especially considering sooo many people never have any plan to pay for their medical bills. This just makes doctors and hospitals pass on the bill to the paying typically affluent consumer causing health care costs to go up to people who actually pay for it. Lets make EVERYONE pay for it.
I don't expect insurance companies to forego profitability.

But I know second-hand that shenanigans and shady, unethical shit goes on behind closed doors that is screwing the consumer for MORE profit.
[Reply]
Pants 11:32 PM 11-11-2020
Not saying they aren't better than nothing but the rate at which cases are going up you have to wonder just how much better?
Recent study by Stanford and Northwestern results:

Originally Posted by :
Full-service restaurants, gyms, hotels, cafes, religious organizations, and limited-service restaurants produced the largest predicted increases in infections when reopened,” the researchers said.

The model also explained disparities between low- and high-income neighborhoods regarding COVID-19 spread and offered a solution that can reduce transmission.
We also know that it spreads like crazy at home and at family gatherings.

What do most of these have in common?
[Reply]
Pants 11:34 PM 11-11-2020
They are in business to make a profit.
Sure. Ethics don't matter when all you care about is making a profit.

Doesn't sound like the greatest model for companies that provide health insurance in a society where healthcare costs more than literally almost anyone can afford without insurance, though, does it?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:28 AM 11-12-2020
140K Americans tested positive for Covid. 1200 Americans dead. Just today. :-)
[Reply]
petegz28 06:05 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Sure. Ethics don't matter when all you care about is making a profit.

Doesn't sound like the greatest model for companies that provide health insurance in a society where healthcare costs more than literally almost anyone can afford without insurance, though, does it?
:-) Ethics and business rarely go hand-hand.....
[Reply]
petegz28 06:10 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Recent study by Stanford and Northwestern results:

We also know that it spreads like crazy at home and at family gatherings.

What do most of these have in common?
According to the Kansas Cluster Survey that's not entirely accurate. At least for around here.....

Ahead of bars and restaurants are:

Long Term Care Facilities
Corrections
Meat Packing
Private Businesses
Colleges
School
Private Events
Religious Gatherings
Sports
Healthcare

Then

Bar or Restaurant

Just sayin....
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:54 AM 11-12-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
140K Americans tested positive for Covid. 1200 Americans dead. Just today. :-)
It was actually 1562.

But hey great job America (that is all I can say here jfc)

Originally Posted by :
The pandemic caught the nation flat-footed in March, but epidemiologists have been warning for months of a fall and winter wave as people are driven indoors, schools resume in-person classes and Americans grow tired of months of precautions. Yet shortages of personal protective equipment are back, especially among rural hospitals, nursing homes and private medical practices that lack access to the supply networks that serve larger hospital chains.

Dr. Shikha Gupta, the executive director of Get Us PPE, a volunteer effort that matches available supplies to health care providers, said 70 percent of those requesting help from the organization last month reported being completely out of one type of critical gear. Masks, gloves and disinfecting wipes topped the list.

“Health care workers are exhausted and frustrated, and it’s really hard to believe that on Nov. 10, it feels very much like the middle of March all over again,” she said. “We’re hitting the highest numbers of caseload that we’ve ever seen, and we’re running into the same problems that we’ve been having since Day 1.”

Governors are once again competing with one another and big hospital chains for scarce gear. Nursing homes are grappling with staff shortages, which have left hospitals unable to discharge patients to their care. In Wisconsin, the situation is so severe that health officials are mulling a plan to train family members of nursing home residents to fill in at facilities that lack enough workers.

[Reply]
petegz28 08:15 AM 11-12-2020
The irony...all summer long we have heard "we need to be like Europe". Now Europe is locking down and people are saying "well, they never really enforced things like masks in Europe".

Here's the take. The only safe thing you can do is stay in your house, period. Don't go anywhere. Don't associate with anyone. More people are wearing masks around the globe than ever in history yet cases are shooting up faster than ever.

We keep hearing that younger people are "super spreaders" even though there a lot of studies that say quite the opposite. Especially young children.

You can wear a mask. You can wash your hands. You can socially distance. But that is all proving at this point anyway to have a minimal though better than nothing impact.

There isn't an easy answer and as many medical professionals warned "just wear a mask" is not the answer. I think it's propagated a safe feeling that was false. The media does not help at all but I won't get into that.

The other side of it is you cannot shut down the economy again. I think assignment of blame is getting placed in places that are convenient or otherwise easier to blame such as bars and restaurants. That may be the case in some parts of the country but not the case in others.

I may very well have gotten Covid from a restaurant or the gym. Then again I may have gotten it from the grocery store. We automatically rule out one because of "masks" when the reality may be that the mask does not help as much as we think.

I will say I was in the grocery store more than the gym or a restaurant in the prior week or so to my getting Covid.
[Reply]
Page 3096 of 3903
« First < 2096259629963046308630923093309430953096 30973098309931003106314631963596 > Last »
Up