Page 716 of 929
« First < 216616666706712713714715716 717718719720726766816 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:29 AM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by MTG#10:
This is how I know you don't know what you're talking about. The dark pool price manipulation has been proven and even reported by the media. Do some research before you criticize.
Yup, never read Flashboys. Never heard of dark pool manipulation. LOL.

I'm sure that's really what's driving the meme stocks you're trading.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:48 AM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I wonder if DaFace has ever bought a lottery ticket ,ever?
Not often, but sure. But I didn't make a huge deal about how much money I was going to make on it and then watch idly as my gullible friend put his life savings down on it.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:18 AM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:

I’m reading flashboys right now. Great book!
[Reply]
MTG#10 09:32 AM 07-20-2021

Tapout acknowledged.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:49 AM 07-20-2021
Now up 500+ today. Ugh
[Reply]
DaFace 09:59 AM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Now up 500+ today. Ugh
Why "ugh"?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 10:38 AM 07-20-2021
I can't take the roller coaster
At least I am only down 4500 the last two.days
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:40 AM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Why "ugh"?
I was doing more of a "whoo!"
[Reply]
MTG#10 11:19 AM 07-20-2021
AMC is gonna have a good day tomorrow, I can feel it in my loins.
My loins never fail me.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:08 PM 07-20-2021

Flashboys was a truly fascinating book. I listened to it on the tractor. I had to keep backing it up and relistening to parts because I’d be like, “do what now? LOL”.

It’s like listening descriptions of ancient battles. Conceptually I know what’s happening , but I don’t know any of the names, formations, armpit weapons or context so it’s so foreign to me that it’s hard to visualize.

One of my favorite books.

And my broker was talking to me about similar weird shit happening on the minute charts in the grains. It’s no big thing for me but it’s hard for him to work in when it’s possible to get filled on these fishing exercises.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 12:31 PM 07-20-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Flashboys was a truly fascinating book. I listened to it on the tractor. I had to keep backing it up and relistening to parts because I’d be like, “do what now? LOL”.

It’s like listening descriptions of ancient battles. Conceptually I know what’s happening , but I don’t know any of the names, formations, armpit weapons or context so it’s so foreign to me that it’s hard to visualize.

One of my favorite books.

And my broker was talking to me about similar weird shit happening on the minute charts in the grains. It’s no big thing for me but it’s hard for him to work in when it’s possible to get filled on these fishing exercises.
Commodities markets are different in the way they’re structured, so you wouldn’t be subject to the same obviously bad behavior that the book chronicles in the equity market (which is pure thievery and pathetic in my view). But there absolutely are a lot of the same firms listed in that book (I happen work for one that touches tons of different things in financial markets and otherwise) who would be on the other side of a lot of your activity in grains by virtue of their role as market makers/liquidity providers. But I don’t think they’re taking advantage of you in such a brazen way.

Though I’ll give you an example of something that’s common to every futures market that can be thought of as a bit sketchy. If something is trading at 50.12/50.15 and there’s an average 10 on the bid and 10 on the offer and you have 100 to sell and offer them at 50.14, almost guaranteed the second you input your offer you’ll see a 50.13 offer show up right in front of you. If you cancel your order, that offer disappears. Put it back in and it populates again. And over and over again.

This is just the nature of ‘algos’ and how they operate in markets. It touches me as an institutional investor just as it would touch any retail investor.

And I focus primarily on interest rates so there was a fair bit in the book that was new to me as well. But the arms race for faster technology is something I’m well aware of and it’s absolutely fascinating.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:32 PM 07-20-2021
Commodities markets are different in the way they’re structured, so you wouldn’t be subject to the same obviously bad behavior that the book chronicles in the equity market (which is pure thievery and pathetic in my view). But there absolutely are a lot of the same firms listed in that book (I happen work for one that touches tons of different things in financial markets and otherwise) who would be on the other side of a lot of your activity in grains by virtue of their role as market makers/liquidity providers. But I don’t think they’re taking advantage of you in such a brazen way.

Though I’ll give you an example of something that’s common to every futures market that can be thought of as a bit sketchy. If something is trading at 50.12/50.15 and there’s an average 10 on the bid and 10 on the offer and you have 100 to sell and offer them at 50.14, almost guaranteed the second you input your offer you’ll see a 50.13 offer show up right in front of you. If you cancel your order, that offer disappears. Put it back in and it populates again. And over and over again.

This is just the nature of ‘algos’ and how they operate in markets. It touches me as an institutional investor just as it would touch any retail investor.

And I focus primarily on interest rates so there was a fair bit in the book that was new to me as well. But the arms race for faster technology is something I’m well aware of and it’s absolutely fascinating.
Yeah, it's worrisome. I sit on a board of a company that does autohedging of grain. I turned them onto it. I don't know what their risk is, but I wouldn't want to be autohedging with massive swings on the minute chart periodically. I'd be the guy that gets fucked - EVERY TIME.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:30 PM 07-20-2021
It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood!
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:34 PM 07-20-2021
My loins never fail me.

Keep those loins happy!
[Reply]
DaFace 05:13 PM 07-20-2021
Glad you guys can step back from the brink a bit. (And, yes, I mean that sincerely.)
[Reply]
Page 716 of 929
« First < 216616666706712713714715716 717718719720726766816 > Last »
Up