ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 726
« First < 289101112 131415162262112512 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
tk13 12:41 PM 09-17-2011
This really might be the most speculation in a thread in the history of CP. It seems like 95% of people across the country are literally throwing crap up against the wall at this point. It wasn't that long ago that Mizzou/KU/KSU/Iowa State/blah blah blah to the Big East. The SEC might poach teams from the ACC. Now the Big East is in trouble, and the ACC looks like the position of power.

The reality is if the Big East starts falling apart... there's a strong chance some people are going to be left out in the cold, there's just too many teams. Either that or the Big East survives by adding the Big 12's leftovers, but they won't be a major football conference.
[Reply]
CrazyPhuD 01:15 PM 09-17-2011
Mark my words....at the end of this there will only be one conference in all of college football! Of course they'll have to have a playoff to decide the conference champion but that's how it's going to go down.
[Reply]
Stewie 01:20 PM 09-17-2011
Originally Posted by BWillie007:
Really? Puts them in a much more stable conference which basically assures them a spot if there ends up being 4 main AQ conferences. I'm sure the Big 12 implosion has scared them shitless to go find a permanent home.
Not really. My point was that the ACC wants these teams? I'm sure Syracuse and Pitt asked for admission, but why would the ACC want them?
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:21 PM 09-17-2011
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Not really. My point was that the ACC wants these teams? I'm sure Syracuse and Pitt asked for admission, but why would the ACC want them?
TV Markets
Academics
Traditonally the top football programs in the east
All-Around Sports Programs
Great Basketball
Kills the Big East off
[Reply]
KcMizzou 01:22 PM 09-17-2011
@ChipBrownOB Chip Brown
Big 12 administrator tells Orangebloods.com Syracuse and Pitt will be announced as 13th and 14th members of the #ACC on Sunday.
[Reply]
chiefsfan987 01:23 PM 09-17-2011
Originally Posted by Infidel Goat:
The Big East is also a sinking ship.

Syracuse nearly went to the ACC back in the last expansion with Va. Tech sneaking in at the last minute.

I've heard a number of rumors for the #15 and #16 in the ACC.

Texas and Texas Tech
Texas and KU (seriously)
Texas and Notre Dame
UConn and Rutgers

other possibilities include WVU and Villanova (if they go Div. I in football)

UConn and Rutgers probably make the easiest sense as that would take the conference from Miami up through BC with natural geographic rivalries for all. Including ND or Texas would be done for money and probably with subsequent headache.
on the Baylor board they are saying that Texas is no longer considering the ACC since they won't take Tech. If Texas goes to the Pac and Pitt and Syracuse do go to the ACC IMO KU is screwed along with KSU/ISU and Baylor.
[Reply]
Stewie 01:27 PM 09-17-2011
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
TV Markets
Academics
Traditonally the top football programs in the east
All-Around Sports Programs
Great Basketball
Kills the Big East off
TV markets? What TV markets? The ACC is going to suddenly take over the TV market for Penn State with Pitt?

I wasn't aware that Syracuse mattered.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:29 PM 09-17-2011
TV markets? What TV markets? The ACC is going to suddenly take over the TV market for Penn State?

You can't be that stupid. :-)
[Reply]
Saul Good 01:30 PM 09-17-2011
Just got word that KU might wind up in the ACC later tonight unless Ga Tech remembers to scrape them off their dicks.
[Reply]
Stewie 01:33 PM 09-17-2011
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
You can't be that stupid. :-)
You mean like MU to the Big 10?
[Reply]
GloryDayz 02:03 PM 09-17-2011
Originally Posted by Backwards Masking:
College Football : we can't have a playoff or get rid of the bowl system because it's tradition and we have too much pride to break tradition, traditional comes first.

But we'll rearrange the conferences as often as possible if it helps the bottom line cause we're not making enough money.
This.....
[Reply]
alnorth 02:04 PM 09-17-2011
Uhhh.... They do.
[Reply]
BWillie 02:04 PM 09-17-2011
Originally Posted by KcMizzou:
@ChipBrownOB Chip Brown
Big 12 administrator tells Orangebloods.com Syracuse and Pitt will be announced as 13th and 14th members of the #ACC on Sunday.

[Reply]
Stewie 02:06 PM 09-17-2011
Originally Posted by alnorth:
Uhhh.... They do.
Why? They are a Big East school with a small TV exposure. The rule of the day is BIG SCHOOL... BIG TV!
[Reply]
DeezNutz 02:17 PM 09-17-2011
Why? They are a Big East school with a small TV exposure. The rule of the day is BIG SCHOOL... BIG TV!
It further opens up NY.

These two schools are ideal additions to the ACC.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 726
« First < 289101112 131415162262112512 > Last »
Up