ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 206 of 270
« First < 106156196202203204205206 207208209210216256 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Do we want DeHop?
ROYC75 01:21 PM 03-01-2023
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...9536dcd3&ei=21

Story by Andrew Gould

The Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl without a star wide receiver, but they could reportedly make an elite offense even scarier by acquiring DeAndre Hopkins.

NFL insider Benjamin Albright told PHNX Cardinals that Kansas City is the "primary suitor" for Hopkins. He doesn't know the draft compensation the Cardinals would receive, but he said it's more likely they get a second-round pick than a first.

After the 2022 season, theScore's Jordan Schultz reported that the Cardinals plan to trade Hopkins this offseason.

Arizona hired a new general manager and head coach after a disappointing four-win season, and Hopkins is set to make $19.45 million (with a $30.75 million cap hit) in 2023. The Cardinals could seek a clean slate by moving the three-time All-Pro wideout, who turns 31 in June.

Hopkins began his Cardinals career by tallying 1,407 yards and six touchdowns in 2020. However, multiple lower body injuries limited him to 10 games in 2021, and he served a six-game suspension to start the 2022 season for violating the NFL's PED policy.

Yet he remains an impact player when on the field. Hopkins totaled 474 receiving yards in six full games with quarterback Kyler Murray last season.

Now imagine what he can accomplish when catching passes from Patrick Mahomes.

The Chiefs flourished without a star replacement for Tyreek Hill, but they could still benefit by solidifying the position this offseason. JuJu Smith-Schuster is a free agent after garnering 78 catches for 933 yards on a one-year deal. The depth chart features several talented question marks in Mecole Hardman, Kadarius Toney, and Marquez Valdes-Scantling.

Adding Hopkins could be great news for Kansas City, but terrible for all opposing defenses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do we want a high priced prima donna?
[Reply]
O.city 10:16 AM 04-12-2023
I don't know why the Cardinals wouldn't essentially try to buy a draft pick here. They have alot of cap space and they're gonna suck this year. Full on rebuilding year.

If they would take on like 85% of his full number remaining into a bonus, let it hit this year, then yeah maybe someone would give them a 2nd round pick.
[Reply]
Dante84 10:43 AM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
At this point you kinda have to wonder is there anyone we would be willing to trade/cut to open up that amount of money. It seems that if we want that kind of money, instead of going into the draft with the goal of getting 2+ WRs maybe we trade/cut someone we have no intention of paying next year, get what we can if it's a trade, and then say we had to get rid of them to get DHop. I read a report that scouts aren't as sold on this draft for WRs as they have been in past drafts, so if the Chiefs have that same feeling then maybe they see a better scenario to have DHop be the vet, draft the Rookie, then release/cut someone and draft their replacement instead of putting all their proverbial eggs into the WR basket.
I don't think outright releasing a player is the move, but do think trading a player is the more likely option *IF* Veach thinks that Hopkins would restructure upon completion of a trade. I still think trading is highly unlikely.

The candidates for trade would be Gay or Sneed, as these guys are both due for paydays next season
- Gay because the Tranquil signing covers that roster spot (for this season) should he be traded. He also has had (minor) off the field issues and emotional issues.
- Sneed because we miraculously hit on McDuffie, Williams and Watson. He also has had multiple concussions (Jan 2021, Nov 2021, Jan 2022)

Do I want to, or think we will, trade either of these dudes? No. I also don't think it opens enough space to fit Hopkins in on his current contract, so that doesn't solve the main problem.

But if we decide to trade a player, I think those are the most likely candidates.
[Reply]
O.city 10:59 AM 04-12-2023
Why would the Cardinals want to trade for a guy they woudl only have under contract for a season?
[Reply]
Dante84 11:03 AM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
Why would the Cardinals want to trade for a guy they woudl only have under contract for a season?
Another reason I don’t think it happens
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 11:08 AM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by scho63:
I think this would be like signing JuJu or a few steps better than the shot with Josh Gordon.
He had a run of games after he came back last year where he was arguably a top-3 WR in the game. And that was with the midget and a couple of stiffs at QB.

Oct 20 - 10 rec 103 yds
Oct 30 - 12 rec 159 yds 1 TD
Nov 6 - 4 rec 36 yds 1 TD (The Midget left early due to a strained vag)
Nov 13 - 10 rec 98 yds (QB Colt McCoy)
Nov 21 - 9 rec 91 yds (QB Colt McCoy)
Nov 27 - 4 rec 87 yds 1 TD
Dec 12 - 7 rec 79 yds (QB Colt McCoy)
Dec 18 - 7 rec 60 yds (QB Trace McSorley)
[Reply]
BossChief 11:28 AM 04-12-2023
All these scenarios we run through concerning Hopkins are assuming Veach/Reid are operating from a place of desperation regarding the WR position when in reality they aren’t.

The best guys in the business see Toney, Skyy, MVS and Ross daily in meetings and practices (not during this part of the year but you know what I mean) and seem to be comfortable without making a panic/desperation move to add OBJ or Hopkins. I love the confidence to move on from Juju and Mecole and not make any major moves to replace their roles in free agency.

Pure confidence move for Skyy/Toney.
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:30 AM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by scho63:
I think this would be like signing JuJu or a few steps better than the shot with Josh Gordon.
Dude, no. JJSS/Gordon aren't anywhere on the same level as DHop. DHop is still probably a top-10 WR and a future HOFer, that might still be a top-5 WR. JJSS/Gordon are scrubs by comparison.
[Reply]
Balto 12:21 PM 04-12-2023
Cardinals could absolutely make Hopkins a June 1st cut which would save then $19.45M in Cap....Not sure what they would do with that extra cap?

Still, I think its very real that they go this route.

IF traded now they only save $8.911M. They could sit back and wait till after June 1st and trade him to a WR needy team then. Get compensation and still save the $19M in cap.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:24 PM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by Balto:
Cardinals could absolutely make Hopkins a June 1st cut which would save then $19.45M in Cap....Not sure what they would do with that extra cap?

Still, I think its very real that they go this route.

IF traded now they only save $8.911M. They could sit back and wait till after June 1st and trade him to a WR needy team then. Get compensation and still save the $19M in cap.
And what team that is going to sign him is suddenly going to have the cap space on June 1st?
[Reply]
BossChief 12:38 PM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
And what team that is going to sign him is suddenly going to have the cap space on June 1st?
Nobody.

It would also be a 1000% dick move from an organization with 20m in current cap space that could June first designation him while the player is able to offer his services to teams that can afford his services. This is the exact scenario the rule is for.

Every agent would take notice.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:41 PM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by BossChief:
All these scenarios we run through concerning Hopkins are assuming Veach/Reid are operating from a place of desperation regarding the WR position when in reality they aren’t.

The best guys in the business see Toney, Skyy, MVS and Ross daily in meetings and practices (not during this part of the year but you know what I mean) and seem to be comfortable without making a panic/desperation move to add OBJ or Hopkins. I love the confidence to move on from Juju and Mecole and not make any major moves to replace their roles in free agency.

Pure confidence move for Skyy/Toney.
We don't really "know" if they are desperate for a WR or not, they may think a guy in round 1 fits the bill cheaper, they may be holding out for a cheaper price on Hopkins, they may wanna see what is there at 31 before they pull a trade, lots of things here and honestly there aren't many teams in.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 12:42 PM 04-12-2023

Update: The #Jets have interest in "making a run" at #Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins, per @AlbertBreer https://t.co/3EQD2xGt5o

— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) April 12, 2023

[Reply]
The Franchise 12:59 PM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by JohnnyHammersticks:
Sure, Dov.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 01:14 PM 04-12-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Sure, Dov.
He's obviously a poser, but a lot of people are reporting it based on Albert Breer's blog. Breer is fairly credible with 607K followers, including PMII. I could've chosen from many tweets, unfortunately I picked the fraud of the bunch before I saw it from more credible sources.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:23 PM 04-12-2023
I wonder how Jets fans are going to feel when they've stocked up on all this talent only to have the Rodgers deal fall through. :-)
[Reply]
Page 206 of 270
« First < 106156196202203204205206 207208209210216256 > Last »
Up