ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 11 of 16
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>NFLPA initiates investigation into concussion protocols after Tua injury
tk13 03:37 PM 09-25-2022
This didn't take long.

NFLPA has told the NFL that it wants to initiate a review of the concussion protocols in light of Tua Tagovailoa’s return to today’s game in Miami, per source.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) September 25, 2022

#Tua will be ruled out for @MiamiDolphins vs @BuffaloBills.
Outward signs of head injury means ruled out even if clears the concussion protocol. pic.twitter.com/Lj2AKO5D1A

— David J. Chao - ProFootballDoc (@ProFootballDoc) September 25, 2022

[Reply]
SupDock 07:35 AM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
So Dr Chao diagnosed him and then let him on the field? If the doctor you're quoting didn't actually examine him, then their opinion is irrelevant.
That’s not true at all. He called it a “no-go” event. Which means based on the video, it didn’t matter if he passed protocol, he couldn’t return.

No go observations include:

Amnesia, loss of consciousness, confusion, gross motor instability. Granted, the motor instability needs to be determined to be neurologic in nature.

My understanding is that the neurologist that examined him, determined that the motor instability he demonstrated was from his “back”. And this is the major source of scrutiny.

The dude nailed his head on the turf, and then couldn’t walk, then passed the protocol, and they determine his back was what made him stumble and shake the cobwebs out of his head.

Dr Chao is on Twitter. He regularly comments on player injuries. He is an orthopedic surgeon and was an NFL team physician for 17 years.
[Reply]
notorious 07:36 AM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar:
he's going to end up getting ****in paralyzed on the field
Same was said about Manning for years.
[Reply]
DrunkBassGuitar 07:41 AM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
Same was said about Manning for years.
and God refused to listen
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 08:21 AM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by SupDock:
That’s not true at all. He called it a “no-go” event. Which means based on the video, it didn’t matter if he passed protocol, he couldn’t return.

No go observations include:

Amnesia, loss of consciousness, confusion, gross motor instability. Granted, the motor instability needs to be determined to be neurologic in nature.

My understanding is that the neurologist that examined him, determined that the motor instability he demonstrated was from his “back”. And this is the major source of scrutiny.

The dude nailed his head on the turf, and then couldn’t walk, then passed the protocol, and they determine his back was what made him stumble and shake the cobwebs out of his head.

Dr Chao is on Twitter. He regularly comments on player injuries. He is an orthopedic surgeon and was an NFL team physician for 17 years.
That's not how medical diagnosis work. Not even a little bit and what Dr. Chao is doing is unethical. They did not personally examine the patient.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:38 AM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by srvy:
What else would cause disorientation and stumbling like paralysis? Could a pinched nerve do that or something with the spinal cord? If it's not a concussion then it seems to me he needs some extensive testing to see what's going on.
Not saying it happened Sunday, but a sciatic nerve signal will buckle you momentarily. Doesn't even have to 'hurt' that much, just your body shutting muscle signals down for a moment to avoid putting weight on a compromised lower extremity.

Not all that different from the reflex twitch from a hammer tap to the patella.
[Reply]
SupDock 08:38 AM 10-01-2022
That's not how medical diagnosis work. Not even a little bit and what Dr. Chao is doing is unethical. They did not personally examine the patient.
I don’t really know how to respond, because what you are saying does not make sense. Much of diagnosing a medical condition is based on observation. In this case, he made on observation of a sign suggestive of a concussion.

Your use of the word “diagnosis” is a bit confusing to me. He is saying he observed a “no go” sign.

Much of the protocol is based on testing and observing for signs/symptoms of a concussion.

To say that is not how you come to a medical diagnosis, “not even a little bit” does not make sense to me.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 08:44 AM 10-01-2022
I don’t really know how to respond, because what you are saying does not make sense. Much of diagnosing a medical condition is based on observation. In this case, he made on observation of a sign suggestive of a concussion.

Your use of the word “diagnosis” is a bit confusing to me. He is saying he observed a “no go” sign.

Much of the protocol is based on testing and observing for signs/symptoms of a concussion.

To say that is not how you come to a medical diagnosis, “not even a little bit” does not make sense to me.
If they did not personally meet with the patient, understand the patient's symptoms, have access to the patient's baseline, then the "doctor" is in no position to diagnose the patient. It's not that hard.
[Reply]
SupDock 08:48 AM 10-01-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Not saying it happened Sunday, but a sciatic nerve signal will buckle you momentarily. Doesn't even have to 'hurt' that much, just your body shutting muscle signals down for a moment to avoid putting weight on a compromised lower extremity.

Not all that different from the reflex twitch from a hammer tap to the patella.
Definitely. A peripheral nerve paresthesia could cause it. Orthostatic hypotension could cause it too. It was hot as hell during that game and players were probably dehydrated.

I think the issue is that it happened right after he hit his head on the ground.
[Reply]
SupDock 08:49 AM 10-01-2022
If they did not personally meet with the patient, understand the patient's symptoms, have access to the patient's baseline, then the "doctor" is in no position to diagnose the patient. It's not that hard.
He didn’t make a diagnosis. He observed a “no-go” sign.

Is the neurologist that remotely reviews video during the game, and calls down to the field with concerning signs or collisions being unethical?

Why are you putting “doctor” in quotes? He is a literal orthopedic surgeon
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 08:54 AM 10-01-2022
He didn’t make a diagnosis. He observed a “no-go” sign.

Are you saying that if the neurologist that remotely reviews video during the game, and calls down to the field with concerning signs or collisions is being unethical?

Why are you putting “doctor” in quotes? He is a literal orthopedic surgeon
I'm not because then after that happens they get evaluated personally by a doctor. Ethical doctors don't do what Chao did. They don't get evaluated by a twitter doctor. The decision on whether they get cleared through the protocol is not done by a twitter doctor.
[Reply]
SupDock 08:54 AM 10-01-2022
I'm not because then after that happens they get evaluated personally by a doctor. Ethical doctors don't do what Chao did. They don't get evaluated by a twitter doctor. The decision on whether they get cleared through the protocol is not done by a twitter doctor.
If there is a “no-go” sign, they cannot be cleared.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 08:57 AM 10-01-2022
If there is a “no-go” sign, they cannot be cleared.
I understand. Chao isn't the person to make that pronouncement from his couch.
[Reply]
SupDock 09:00 AM 10-01-2022
I understand. Chao isn't the person to make that pronouncement from his couch.
I guess there is no controversy then. We can all move along.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 09:01 AM 10-01-2022
I guess there is no controversy then. We can all move along.
Exactly.
[Reply]
philfree 09:40 AM 10-01-2022
Tua isn't equipped to handle the pounding an NFL QB takes. Too bad for him and Dolphin fans.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 16
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up