ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 22
« First < 51112131415 16171819 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs trade for CB Mike Hughes
Dante84 03:01 PM 05-13-2021

Trade: #Vikings are trading former first-round CB Mike Hughes to the #Chiefs*, per @AdamSchefter. Secondary help as he enters a contract year.

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) May 13, 2021

Chiefs and Vikings swapped late-round draft picks, with Kansas City also getting back Minnesota’s 2018 first-round pick, per source. https://t.co/EiWiQFgAQS

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) May 13, 2021

The Chiefs are sending their 2022 sixth-round pick to Minnesota for Hughes and their 2022 seventh-round pick, per source. https://t.co/XKJ2JPH9hO

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) May 13, 2021

[Reply]
tmax63 06:13 PM 05-16-2021
Ahh yesss, TERDell Sands.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 07:37 PM 05-16-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
For my money that is still one of the top 10 games in the Reid era, Mahomes or not.

I bet it was amazing to be there.
It was a crazy, we didn't have Clark, Fisher or the Doctor in that game either... Their fans were the worst before the game, and going back to the car we were talking to each other loudly saying "Can't believe we won that game without 4-5 starter and a QB who was coaching and teaching high school a few weeks ago" as we walked by their fans. They were obnoxious as hell.

It was a great game in the Reid era and we almost beat GB as well...
[Reply]
BossChief 07:48 PM 05-16-2021
With our coaching and surrounding talent, coupled with the motivation to earn a big contract....this is a very fascinating trade. Our CB group is very talented and could end up being one of the best cb groups in the league.
[Reply]
Wilson8 08:02 PM 05-16-2021
If Chiefs keep Mike Hughes his cap hit will be $1,825,566. If he gets cut by KC, we will have $648,076 of dead money and we will save $1,177,490, so Mike has a $648,076 guarantee.

As kccrow said, the first concern is with his health and not doing long term damage to Mike.

I am sure Kansas City doctors would not bless a trade if they detect issues with his neck, so Mike will try to make the team and earn his money.

I really liked Mike Hughes in the 2018 draft and thought he would be a good NFL football player, but his injuries have been a problem. His 2018 ACL tear and his cervical neck injury has caused him to miss 10 games (ACL) in 2018, 2 games (neck) in 2019, and 12 games (neck) in 2020.

It's not a problem doing the trade the Chiefs did, but it would be a problem counting on Hughes to be the 2021 slot CB starter and not having a Plan B.

Brett Veach will have a Plan B.
[Reply]
kccrow 08:05 PM 05-16-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Not long ago, we spent our 6th round pick on Khalil McKenzie whom we drafted as a defensive tackle with the plan to convert him into an offensive guard.

And giving up a 7th for Hughes 'concerns' you?

The Israeli/Palestinian conflict concerns me. Covid variants concern me. Mahomes not staying in a protective bubble concerns me. Taking a flier on a guy in exchange for a 7th round pick should not concern any of us.

Unless you'd like your pick of these success stories?

2020 | Pick No. 237 | BoPete Keyes | CB | Tulane

2019 | Pick No. 216 | Nick Allegretti | OL | Illinois

2015 | Pick No. 233| Da'Ron Brown | WR | Northern Illinois

2013 | Pick No. 207 | Mike Catapano | DL | Princeton

2012 | Pick No. 218 | Jerome Long | DL | San Diego State

2012 | Pick No. 238 | Junior Hemingway | WR | Michigan

2011 | Pick No. 223 | Shane Bannon | RB | Yale

2009 | Pick No. 256 | Ryan Succop | K | South Carolina

2009 | Pick No. 212 | Javarris Williams |RB | Tennessee State

2009 | Pick No. 237 | Jake O'Connell | TE | Miami (OH)

2008 | Pick No. 210 | Brian Johnston | DL | Gardner-Webb

2008 | Pick No. 239 | Mike Merritt | TE | Central Florida

2007 |Pick No. 231 | Michael Allan | TE | Whitworth (WA)

2006 | Pick No. 228 | Jarrad Page | DB | UCLA

2005 | Pick No. 238 | Jeremy Parquet | OL | Southern Miss

2005 | Pick No. 229 | James Kilian | QB | Tulsa

2004 | Pick No. 231 | Kevin Sampson |OL | Syracuse

2003 | Pick No. 252 | Willie Pile | DB | Virginia Tech

2003 |Pick No. 230 | Montique Sharpe | DL | Wake Forest

2002 | Pick No. 221 | Maurice Rodriguez | LB | Fresno State

2001 | Pick No. 212 | Shaunard Harts | DB | Boise State

2001 | Pick No. 243 | Terdell Sands | DL | Tennessee - Chattanooga

2000 | Pick No. 208 | Desmond Kitchings | WR | Furman
Perhaps you don't understand anything. I openly said at the fucking onset, if any of you could actually read more than two words in a row, that the compensation for him was NOT the problem.

I'm concerned we're going to see this kid become a paraplegic on the field. Maybe you haven't been as intimately involved with that tragedy in life as I have so you really don't give a fuck. I'd personally rather not watch it happen and there is a higher than average chance it does.

As for your list, we all know 6th and 7th round picks have a low hit rate. At least Succop was and remains a good kicker. Page was good before he tore his shoulder up. So at least there's something there. Allegretti was pretty serviceable all season at guard despite not playing well, along with the rest of the Oline, in the Super Bowl.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 08:21 PM 05-16-2021
Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn:
I don't think we're re-signing Breeland, and honestly I'm ok with that. Once he loses a step, he'll become a liability.
Breeland already showed signs of losing his top end speed. But with the horrific injury he had, it's amazing he ever played again, much less became a starter and a major contributor to a Super Bowl championship team. My hat is off to him forever.

But the fact that he is losing his top end speed, combined with missing time for substance abuse violations and the developmentor the youngsters means that the time is right to move on without him.
[Reply]
BossChief 08:25 PM 05-16-2021
I’ll be surprised if we don’t bring Breeland back on another 1 year deal once camp approaches. No need to sign him until then and I’m sure he would rather wait for a team with an injury in an already thin CB group to make him an offer of something more than the minimal amount we are sure to have on the table.
[Reply]
Wilson8 08:46 PM 05-16-2021
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Breeland already showed signs of losing his top end speed. But with the horrific injury he had, it's amazing he ever played again, much less became a starter and a major contributor to a Super Bowl championship team. My hat is off to him forever.

But the fact that he is losing his top end speed, combined with missing time for substance abuse violations and the development of the youngsters means that the time is right to move on without him.
Bashaud Breeland ran a 4.62 at his 2014 combine. At his Clemson Pro Day, he was able to improve to a 4.57, so not speedy.

Bashaud has said in interviews his success is being a physical corner. He is going to bump, pull, tug, grab, and that will sometimes get penalties. Last year Breeland was penalized 13 times for such things as illegal use of hands, illegal contact, defensive holding, and of course defensive pass interference.

I think Bashaud Breeland is still a good football player and could help the Chiefs, so I would like for the Chiefs to re-sign him.

As you imply, the Chiefs may have decided it is time to move on.

Side note - What horrific injury, his foot that got infected?
[Reply]
Wilson8 09:11 PM 05-16-2021
I know this is a Mike Hughes thread but since we have already side tracked to Bashaud Breeland, I'll ask another Breeland question.

Last year Bashaud was suspended for four games.

Originally Posted by :
News broke that late Tuesday night that Kansas City Chiefs cornerback Bashaud Breeland had been arrested in South Carolina. While Breeland could be subject to discipline from the league for that incident, a report has emerged that he was already facing discipline from the league for a separate incident.

According to NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero and Mike Garafolo, Breeland was found to have violated the league policy on substance abuse. The report said Breeland is appealing his suspension. The latest incident in South Carolina certainly won’t help his image with the league.
https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2020...arrest-report/
So last year's suspension was not for the South Carolina incident.

Originally Posted by :
Breeland was booked at 1:26 p.m. and charged on five counts: resisting arrest, the transport of alcohol in a motor vehicle with a broken seal, open container of beer or wine in motor vehicle, possession of 28 grams or less of marijuana or 10 grams of hash, and driving without a license
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/c...es-per-report/
Is it possible that teams have shown no interest in signing Bashaud because he faces another even longer suspension?
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:21 AM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by tmax63:
Ahh yesss, TERDell Sands.
I'm still holding out for Brian Johnston to be the next Jared Allen.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 05:31 AM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by Wilson8:

Brett Veach will have a Plan B.
Something wrong with Fenton?

For 2021, Ward, Sneed, Fenton look fine as your starting CB's and slot.

Baker, Bopete, and Hughes are depth with potential.

Not at all opposed to Breeland part 3.

If you want to grouse about the CB room in 2022, yeah, we'll need to make some decisions, but I see no reason for panic.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:31 AM 05-17-2021
The first two dozen posts on this thread are specifically about getting "fleeced" out of a 6th round pick.

How is pointing out the utter insignificance of a 6th round pick somehow "mean"?

I guess the upshot is that thread on OM, where he's now basically talking to himself.
[Reply]
Wilson8 01:06 PM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Something wrong with Fenton?
That's a good question. One that the Chiefs seem to be trying to answer too.

Last year when Bashaud Breeland was out, Fenton started out with the Texans game at 55% of defensive snaps and then the next 3 weeks with Chargers, Ravens, and Patriots, he was close to 100% of the defensive snaps.

Bashaud came back from his 4 week suspension but then L'Jarius Sneed went down with his collar bone injury. For the next 7 weeks Rashad was used at around 50% of the defensive snaps. That was Raiders, Bills, Broncos, Jets, Panthers, Raiders, and Buccaneers.

Something then happened where Rashad Fenton's defensive snaps were like a roller coaster. Broncos 0% of defensive snaps. Dolphins 46% defensive snaps. Saints 5% of defensive snaps. Falcons 0% defensive snaps. Chargers where we rested starters, 70% of defensive snaps. Browns with playoffs, 0% of defensive snaps. Bills 40% of defensive snaps. Buccaneers in Super Bowl, 0% of defensive snaps.

Fenton hurt his ankle in the last Chargers game, which would explain the Browns game usage. In the other games with 0% usage, he played special teams, so he could play.

I think Rashad Fenton has value, but KC is still working on how to use him best.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:22 PM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Not long ago, we spent our 6th round pick on Khalil McKenzie whom we drafted as a defensive tackle with the plan to convert him into an offensive guard.

And giving up a 7th for Hughes 'concerns' you?

The Israeli/Palestinian conflict concerns me. Covid variants concern me. Mahomes not staying in a protective bubble concerns me. Taking a flier on a guy in exchange for a 7th round pick should not concern any of us.

Unless you'd like your pick of these success stories?

2020 | Pick No. 237 | BoPete Keyes | CB | Tulane

2019 | Pick No. 216 | Nick Allegretti | OL | Illinois

2015 | Pick No. 233| Da'Ron Brown | WR | Northern Illinois

2013 | Pick No. 207 | Mike Catapano | DL | Princeton

2012 | Pick No. 218 | Jerome Long | DL | San Diego State

2012 | Pick No. 238 | Junior Hemingway | WR | Michigan

2011 | Pick No. 223 | Shane Bannon | RB | Yale

2009 | Pick No. 256 | Ryan Succop | K | South Carolina

2009 | Pick No. 212 | Javarris Williams |RB | Tennessee State

2009 | Pick No. 237 | Jake O'Connell | TE | Miami (OH)

2008 | Pick No. 210 | Brian Johnston | DL | Gardner-Webb

2008 | Pick No. 239 | Mike Merritt | TE | Central Florida

2007 |Pick No. 231 | Michael Allan | TE | Whitworth (WA)

2006 | Pick No. 228 | Jarrad Page | DB | UCLA

2005 | Pick No. 238 | Jeremy Parquet | OL | Southern Miss

2005 | Pick No. 229 | James Kilian | QB | Tulsa

2004 | Pick No. 231 | Kevin Sampson |OL | Syracuse

2003 | Pick No. 252 | Willie Pile | DB | Virginia Tech

2003 |Pick No. 230 | Montique Sharpe | DL | Wake Forest

2002 | Pick No. 221 | Maurice Rodriguez | LB | Fresno State

2001 | Pick No. 212 | Shaunard Harts | DB | Boise State

2001 | Pick No. 243 | Terdell Sands | DL | Tennessee - Chattanooga

2000 | Pick No. 208 | Desmond Kitchings | WR | Furman
Well, there's that.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 03:02 PM 05-17-2021
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Well, there's that.
I mean, Jarrad Page was pretty good for a few years.

Jake O'Connell somehow was on this roster for 4 full seasons.

Imagine if we miss out on the next Jake O'Connell because of this trade. :-)
[Reply]
Page 15 of 22
« First < 51112131415 16171819 > Last »
Up