ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 37 of 1209
« First < 273334353637 3839404147871375371037 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 01:57 PM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by scho63:
I think it matters more when you grill a steak as opposed to pan searing. It also seems to help me get the excess marinade off prior to searing. When it's right out of the fridge, it seems slicker and harder to get off.
Source of the heat won't matter, I don't think. Doesn't change the internal temperature of the meat any different. But whatever works for you, just thought I'd pass along. Seems to be one of those old wive's tales that needs to go away because a 20-minute rest is only marginally different than straight out of the fridge.
[Reply]
Squalor2 09:37 PM 11-11-2015
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Sounds good.

I've stopped the "bring to room temperature" based on this. Worthwhile read. If you don't believe it, test it yourself.
i wish the guy would have measured the exterior temp of the instead of the internal temp. thats where i see the benefit of a room temp steak. then again thats part of the enjoyment of cooking.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:36 AM 11-12-2015
Originally Posted by Squalor2:
i wish the guy would have measured the exterior temp of the instead of the internal temp. thats where i see the benefit of a room temp steak. then again thats part of the enjoyment of cooking.

I can't imagine it being any more than 1-2 degrees. The internal temp would keep the external temp very close, if not the same.

I have an IR thermometer, if I think about it I'll test it next time I do steak.
[Reply]
scho63 08:50 AM 11-12-2015
When my Mom cooked steaks on the outdoor natural gas grill as a kid, she used to take the steaks right from the fridge and onto the grill because of time constraints.

The outside was charred too much and the inside was very rare. Was not of fan of my Mom's grilling skills God rest her soul.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 08:53 AM 11-12-2015
When my Mom cooked steaks on the outdoor natural gas grill as a kid, she used to take the steaks right from the fridge and onto the grill because of time constraints.

The outside was charred too much and the inside was very rare. Was not of fan of my Mom's grilling skills God rest her soul.
Grill was too hot then and/or she didn't know how to grill. I'd be willing to bet real actual money the external temp of the meat isn't more than 5 degrees different than internal.
[Reply]
scho63 09:45 AM 11-12-2015
Grill was too hot then and/or she didn't know how to grill. I'd be willing to bet real actual money the external temp of the meat isn't more than 5 degrees different than internal.
I could be wrong but it is my understanding that the heat cannot penetrate and warm up/cook the inside while the outside is being hit with the hottest temperatures and air flow, therefore creating uneven cooking. :-)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:54 AM 11-12-2015
I could be wrong but it is my understanding that the heat cannot penetrate and warm up/cook the inside while the outside is being hit with the hottest temperatures and air flow, therefore creating uneven cooking. :-)
I've read this four times and still not sure what you're saying. :-)

If heat is being applied - hot, low, moderate, whatever - that heat will warm the entire steak. Obviously, it's not immediate, and if the heat being applied to the outside is so hot that it burns the outside layers of the meat before the heat has been absorbed by the interior meat not in direct contact with flame, then it will burn. If you're cooking that hot, use one side to sear, get a nice crust, then move it to a cooler side to properly cook the rest without burning the outside (or do the opposite in a reverse sear method). It sounds like your mom was putting it on high heat, cooking it till it was charred, and taking it off. It's entirely possible to cook over direct heat the entire time, but you need a lower heat setting. I often cook only over direct heat on the grill because I like a good crust, but I won't build as big a fire.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:15 PM 11-12-2015
The Mrs. wanted pasta carbonara. So did that with some of my homemade bacon.
[Reply]
Squalor2 09:36 PM 11-12-2015

so much euphemisms...
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:48 AM 11-14-2015
Made my wife's family's "easy, quick" staple: White corn chili.

Very easy: Per pound of ground beef, add 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can beans, 1 can white corn (drained; I prefer frozen); 1 jar your favorite salsa. Brown and drain the beef, drain the beans if want, bring everything to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Tasty stuff.

Made this last night. Pretty good stuff. My dad was crazy about it. This was the salsa i used:

I followed the recipe to the letter and then split it in half so that i could experiment a little. I added a bit of cumin and chili powder to the second half; it was a bit more flavorful, but I think I used a bit too much cumin and chili because it overpowered the chipotle flavor of the salsa. I think I screwed up by doing my taste tests before I let it cool down enough.

Thanks for the recipe!
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:14 AM 11-14-2015
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Made this last night. Pretty good stuff. My dad was crazy about it. This was the salsa i used:

I followed the recipe to the letter and then split it in half so that i could experiment a little. I added a bit of cumin and chili powder to the second half; it was a bit more flavorful, but I think I used a bit too much cumin and chili because it overpowered the chipotle flavor of the salsa. I think I screwed up by doing my taste tests before I let it cool down enough.

Thanks for the recipe!

Thanks. It's nothing super special, but it's quick, easy, and good.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:14 AM 11-14-2015
I bought some Lamb Loin Chops. FMB, how should I cook them?

xoxo
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:17 AM 11-14-2015
Thinking of doing something similar with a salmon that I'm smoking today.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:51 AM 11-15-2015
Originally Posted by lewdog:

xoxo
Sorry, dude. Have you already made something?

I don't do a lot of lamb, but are they already cut or is it a rack? Wanting to grill them or roast them? I've got a couple good ATK recipes that I've used.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:13 AM 11-15-2015
Originally Posted by lewdog:

xoxo
Sorry, dude. Have you already made something?

I don't do a lot of lamb, but are they already cut or is it a rack? Wanting to grill them or roast them? I've got a couple good ATK recipes that I've used.
I heard there's a great new recipe for Mexicali Sous Vide Skewers.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=296006
[Reply]
Page 37 of 1209
« First < 273334353637 3839404147871375371037 > Last »
Up