ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 33 of 1209
« First < 232930313233 3435363743831335331033 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:29 AM 11-04-2015
Anyone ever cook their pasta directly in the sauce, from start to finish?

A few weeks ago I did some pasta in the pressure cooker with the sauce. While I over cooked it, I was intrigued by the idea of not using two pots and getting more flavor into the pasta itself. The experts always say to "finish" the pasta in the sauce to let it soak up some of that sauce, so why not just cook it in the sauce?

Made some rigatoni with a meat sauce last night, just using my favorite canned sauce. Figured I'd give it a shot. Did a little Googling to find out how much water 1 pound of pasta will absorb and added that much water to my meat sauce. Got it all up to boiling and added the pasta. It turned out really well. The pasta took about 1.5x the time to cook through, but the sauce came out wonderfully thickened by the extra starch from the pasta (I always add a ladle or so of starchy pasta water to the final dish to help the sauce cling).

I think this is how I'll cook most pasta from now on. It takes a little bit longer, but I don't have an extra stock pot to clean. (One thing I read, don't try this with spaghetti or a long noodle like that - they need space to move around or they stick together; not the case with tubular pastas and smaller shapes.)
[Reply]
tooge 08:27 AM 11-04-2015
Made a killer thai kale salad for lunch.
CHopped up kale
bag of broccoli slaw
thin sliced onion
chopped cabbage
sliced almonds
hulled pumpkin seeds
chopped cashews

Mix all the above together

Dressing: juice of two limes, teaspoon sriracha, tablespoon grated ginger, tablespoon grated garlic, 1 cup rice wine vinegar, teaspoon sesame oil, tablespoon miso paste, tablespoon dijon mustard. Whisk all the above and pour onto the other stuff. Devour.
Very healthy and very tasty. I added some grilled chicken to it for lunch, but I made it as a side salad the other night by itself.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:34 AM 11-04-2015
Made Gnocchi last night....not bad. I'd never tried it before and didn't have a potato ricer so I ran the potatoes through a hard cheese grater (the wheel style). I probably used a little too much flour, but nothing terrible. I put in about as much egg as it took to make it all stick together.

After a quick boil, I fried them off in butter and served them with pesto and pork steaks. Pretty good stuff and not all that difficult to make (would be really easy if you did have the ricer).
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:51 AM 11-04-2015
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Anyone ever cook their pasta directly in the sauce, from start to finish?

A few weeks ago I did some pasta in the pressure cooker with the sauce. While I over cooked it, I was intrigued by the idea of not using two pots and getting more flavor into the pasta itself. The experts always say to "finish" the pasta in the sauce to let it soak up some of that sauce, so why not just cook it in the sauce?

Made some rigatoni with a meat sauce last night, just using my favorite canned sauce. Figured I'd give it a shot. Did a little Googling to find out how much water 1 pound of pasta will absorb and added that much water to my meat sauce. Got it all up to boiling and added the pasta. It turned out really well. The pasta took about 1.5x the time to cook through, but the sauce came out wonderfully thickened by the extra starch from the pasta (I always add a ladle or so of starchy pasta water to the final dish to help the sauce cling).

I think this is how I'll cook most pasta from now on. It takes a little bit longer, but I don't have an extra stock pot to clean. (One thing I read, don't try this with spaghetti or a long noodle like that - they need space to move around or they stick together; not the case with tubular pastas and smaller shapes.)
It's recommended that pasta be cooked partially—then cook the remaining time in the sauce. I've done it like that.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:15 AM 11-04-2015
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
It's recommended that pasta be cooked partially—then cook the remaining time in the sauce. I've done it like that.

I've done that hundreds of times... That's traditional. I was asking my the non-traditional method I described.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:16 AM 11-04-2015
Yeah, I got that. Just sayin' how I do it.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:22 PM 11-04-2015
No effort or effects went into this, but since people flip me shit for not posting photos. Here's my Chicken Francese.
Attached: 100_0823.jpg (116.1 KB) 
[Reply]
lewdog 08:45 PM 11-05-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
No effort or effects went into this, but since people flip me shit for not posting photos. Here's my Chicken Francese.
Looks great. Would slam all night.
[Reply]
Squalor2 11:22 PM 11-05-2015
pretty much pasta can only be boiled. imo FMB, you are leaning towards something new. maybe a pot sticker? korean dumpling?
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 12:06 AM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
It's called ghost pizza 'cuz you can't see it, but you can feel its presence.
Kind of like the Pats espionage
[Reply]
Fish 12:47 AM 11-06-2015
My first contribution. I have a chili cookoff at work tomorrow.

Chicken Chili:

[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:44 AM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by Squalor2:
pretty much pasta can only be boiled. imo FMB, you are leaning towards something new. maybe a pot sticker? korean dumpling?

It's still boiled. Like I said, I added extra water to the sauce so it would rehydrate properly. It's still very much pasta.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:52 PM 11-06-2015
I'm addicted to ramen. Spicy roasted garlic miso tonight.

[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:23 PM 11-06-2015
I did a quick simple fried rice. Onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sriracha sauce, rice, cashews, peas.
[Reply]
Buzz 09:27 PM 11-06-2015
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
I did a quick simple fried rice. Onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sriracha sauce, rice, cashews, peas.
I have tried fried rice and it never comes out well, don't have a gas stove or a wok.
[Reply]
Page 33 of 1209
« First < 232930313233 3435363743831335331033 > Last »
Up