ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 25 of 26
« First < 152122232425 26 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Dropped passes
frozenchief 10:05 PM 12-05-2021
Why can’t we catch the ball? Kielce, Pringle, and Tyreek all dropped catchable passes. those drops really screwed our offensive production. Tyreek’s ‘drop’ led to an interception.

What is going on? Are Kielce and Tyreek injured? What do we do for this season? Drafting or free agency are good answers for next season, not this one. the dropped passes aren’t such an issue with Denver but come playoffs, they will be really large.

I have no idea what is going on or why this is happening now and would love to hear any comments/suggestions.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 09:30 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
He's a fucking loon
Ubeja Vontell level take
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:31 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Just read a quote from Mahomes in The Athletic where he says the Hill INT is on him - too high and too hard - that if he places it on him properly, Tyreek probably scores.
Love our QB.

Originally Posted by :
“I’m going to go through the play regardless as to who is at what position and what the read is,” Mahomes said. “Coach [Andy] Reid does a good job of kind of maneuvering it so we can get it back to them pretty quickly there. Like I said, some of the dropped passes — people get hung on them even the one in the game that got intercepted, if I throw the ball in a better spot and he makes the catch, probably splits and scores. I threw it high and hard, and it gets tipped up and picked.

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:32 AM 12-09-2021
Just read a quote from Mahomes in The Athletic where he says the Hill INT is on him - too high and too hard - that if he places it on him properly, Tyreek probably scores.
Since his rookie year Mahomes has had the the standard leadership rules down pat. A great play is 'we' and a bad play is 'me'.

Mahomes taking a bullet doesn't mean much - he's secure enough in his standing that he knows the rules. He's not going to go out there and say "I can't throw it and catch it..."

The throw was fine.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:34 AM 12-09-2021
Like this as well.

Originally Posted by :
But even as Mahomes is throwing more picks than ever, he says they’re not really affecting him.

“I mean it just happens, it’s part of football,” Mahomes said in his Wednesday press conference. “Luckily enough, our defense is playing good enough that whenever they happen, they’re able to get stops and get turnovers or whatever it is and not let it impact the team. But you understand that turnovers are a huge part of this game. Our defense is getting a lot of turnovers and winning that turnover battle. I’ll try to limit them as much as possible, but at the same time I have to be me and continue to throw the football and give guys chances to make plays.”

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:34 AM 12-09-2021
That same article noted that Mahomes presently has the highest rate of 'on target' passes of his career.

The kid's playing fine. That rate is inclusive of a 3 week stretch where he WAS struggling. And he's still throwing better than 3/4 of his passes on target.

Mahomes is back, fellas. His teammates need to join him.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:38 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
He's doing a lot of things with arm angle and velocity that he doesn't really need to do. He's got to get more comfortable being "normal".
Everybody on the offense just needs to settle down.

They're all pressing. Mahomes needs to take the easy throws. Hill, Kelce, Pringle and company just need to look the ball in and secure the catch before they try to run.

Your defense is playing well. Just get back to fundamentals and do your job first.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:38 AM 12-09-2021
Sure. In theory.

But DJLN's post is hard to disagree with. I think in the film room, they know that if he sticks it on Tyreek in stride, that's a better play. That pass probably gets knocked down though. Is a knock down better than a pick? In hindsight. But is a knockdown better than a catchable ball? Usually not.

That's a pile of speculation on my end, but what I won't speculate about is that there is a 0% chance Mahomes will say, "Nope, I got the ball there, Hill biffed it." That's never happening. Ever.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:38 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
That same article noted that Mahomes presently has the highest rate of 'on target' passes of his career.

The kid's playing fine. That rate is inclusive of a 3 week stretch where he WAS struggling. And he's still throwing better than 3/4 of his passes on target.

Mahomes is back, fellas. His teammates need to join him.
You forgot this part

Originally Posted by :
But Mahomes is also on pace to have a career-high percentage of passes that Pro Football Reference considers a poor throw, as he had 90 off-target throws (19.8 percent) that exclude spikes and throwaways.

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:45 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
You forgot this part
Yeah - but mostly I couldn't figure out what it meant.

Does it mean that he's simply not putting as many passes in the mushy middle anymore? For instance in baseball you have 'soft/med/hard' quality of contact measures. Is Mahomes having more soft and hard hit balls and fewer medium hit balls?

I just couldn't tell how to make the math work. But ultimately if he's throwing more good balls than he used to and more bad balls than he used to, then the question becomes what the value of a 'medium' ball is. I just don't know.

My first impression is that I'll make that trade. If I can take some of those 'medium' balls and turn them into good balls or bad balls, I'm more than happy to do that. Remember when Tebow would throw balls so awful that they couldn't be intercepted? I think most interceptions probably come on those 'medium' balls that aren't quite where you wanted them but not so bad they don't get near a DB either.

But let's say it's all a wash - that Mahomes uptick in on target passes is completely offset by his increase in off-target passes. Doesn't that mean he's still playing at/near the level he's ALWAYS played at on balance?

I just don't see a way to conclude that he's appreciably worse this year than he's ever been (3 game stretch excluded, when he was truly below average for the first time in his career).
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:48 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Sure. In theory.

But DJLN's post is hard to disagree with. I think in the film room, they know that if he sticks it on Tyreek in stride, that's a better play. That pass probably gets knocked down though. Is a knock down better than a pick? In hindsight. But is a knockdown better than a catchable ball? Usually not.

That's a pile of speculation on my end, but what I won't speculate about is that there is a 0% chance Mahomes will say, "Nope, I got the ball there, Hill biffed it." That's never happening. Ever.
Not with these teammates - no. Mahomes got a battlefield commission with these guys. He ascended to leadership past them. They were good, established NFL players before he came on the scene. That level of respect will NEVER allow him to do something like that.

But when he's 30 and trying to shepherd some green rookie through his mistakes? Eh...maybe? I mean look at how differently he handles Hardman than Hill. Sure, part of it's that Hill's a HoF player, but part of it could be that Mahomes has never felt compelled to offer any deference to Hardman. I could see him letting some frustration show going forward as he becomes the greybeard in the room. It's just human nature.
[Reply]
O.city 09:48 AM 12-09-2021
5 of the tipped balls for picks have been in the opponent side of the field as well. So it's directly taken points off the board.

Dallas and Denver for instance. Chiefs up with the ball after half, driving to basically put the game away and a tipped ball leads to a pick damn near in the red zone.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:52 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
5 of the tipped balls for picks have been in the opponent side of the field as well. So it's directly taken points off the board.

Dallas and Denver for instance. Chiefs up with the ball after half, driving to basically put the game away and a tipped ball leads to a pick damn near in the red zone.
And the penalties have seemed to come at disproportionately damaging times as well. Either taking them out of prime TD opportunities or knocking them out of FG range.

The Chiefs have seemingly cruised to the 50 yard line this year. Then once they're on the other side of the field, they stumble. I think that helps explain why they are maintaining a nearly historic rate of turning drives into 1st downs (they still just do not do 3 and outs) but aren't scoring at an equally strong rate.

They're a basketball team that's struggling in the half-court sets. They want to go all fun and gun but when they get into these shorter field situations, their lack of precision bites them.
[Reply]
dirk digler 09:53 AM 12-09-2021
Yeah - but mostly I couldn't figure out what it meant.

Does it mean that he's simply not putting as many passes in the mushy middle anymore? For instance in baseball you have 'soft/med/hard' quality of contact measures. Is Mahomes having more soft and hard hit balls and fewer medium hit balls?

I just couldn't tell how to make the math work. But ultimately if he's throwing more good balls than he used to and more bad balls than he used to, then the question becomes what the value of a 'medium' ball is. I just don't know.

My first impression is that I'll make that trade. If I can take some of those 'medium' balls and turn them into good balls or bad balls, I'm more than happy to do that. Remember when Tebow would throw balls so awful that they couldn't be intercepted? I think most interceptions probably come on those 'medium' balls that aren't quite where you wanted them but not so bad they don't get near a DB either.

But let's say it's all a wash - that Mahomes uptick in on target passes is completely offset by his increase in off-target passes. Doesn't that mean he's still playing at/near the level he's ALWAYS played at on balance?

I just don't see a way to conclude that he's appreciably worse this year than he's ever been (3 game stretch excluded, when he was truly below average for the first time in his career).
The one to Pringle that was posted earlier in this thread would be one, there was probably 3-4 more that he was really off on if my memory serves me correct. It seems that since the start of the season he has been bouncing alot of passes in the dirt, don't know if that is his toe causing that or what but he never use to do that.

I posted this a couple of times but Ryan Clark said on Monday that Mahomes leads the league the last 5 weeks with 37 off target passes.
[Reply]
O.city 09:54 AM 12-09-2021
And the penalties have seemed to come at disproportionately damaging times as well. Either taking them out of prime TD opportunities or knocking them out of FG range.

The Chiefs have seemingly cruised to the 50 yard line this year. Then once they're on the other side of the field, they stumble. I think that helps explain why they are maintaining a nearly historic rate of turning drives into 1st downs (they still just do not do 3 and outs) but aren't scoring at an equally strong rate.

They're a basketball team that's struggling in the half-court sets. They want to go all fun and gun but when they get into these shorter field situations, their lack of precision bites them.
It's really been like that for the past couple years though. It's just been postered over by big plays that lead to scores.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:59 AM 12-09-2021
Not with these teammates - no. Mahomes got a battlefield commission with these guys. He ascended to leadership past them. They were good, established NFL players before he came on the scene. That level of respect will NEVER allow him to do something like that.

But when he's 30 and trying to shepherd some green rookie through his mistakes? Eh...maybe? I mean look at how differently he handles Hardman than Hill. Sure, part of it's that Hill's a HoF player, but part of it could be that Mahomes has never felt compelled to offer any deference to Hardman. I could see him letting some frustration show going forward as he becomes the greybeard in the room. It's just human nature.
I was referring to quotes in the media like a situation that OTWP provided. He's never going to bus somebody in the media.

In the lockerroom, yeah, I imagine he gets after guys. Even Hill and Kelce. But he's also still the first guy congratulating them when they get it done.

Let's hope the Faid provide us another get right game.
[Reply]
Page 25 of 26
« First < 152122232425 26 >
Up