ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 42 of 57
« First < 323839404142 4344454652 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Keep your political bullshit in DC and out of all other forums
DaFace 12:23 AM 12-01-2018
We're seeing an uptick in people randomly throwing out political bullshit in threads in the Lounge. Don't. Report people who do. They'll get booted from the thread for a first offense and more than that if they continue.

The end.

(Oct 2020 update)

Originally Posted by Bearcat:
It's safe to say thread bans aren't working, at least for the handful of people who simply can't keep politics out of any given conversation.

Due to continued reported posts and general frustrations around inserting politics into absolutely everything, and idea came up to restrict people to DC, much like the Romper Room.

So, everyone gets three thread bans as warnings, and after that will get a vacation in DC (the other forums will be view only). The thread bans and DC vacations will be posted in the transparency thread.

Just like several other rules, there's of course gray area and it doesn't really matter where the line is drawn, because those who can keep politics out of the Lounge will never come close to the line and those who can't will insist on running right up to it.

Generally speaking, we're talking about political opinions or blatantly inserting politics into a thread that isn't even a little bit on topic, or otherwise leaking DC BS into the Lounge or other forums.

GloryDayz 09:41 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
I don’t go to DC. The sludge seeps out to the Lounge.
OK, that makes sense. Rep...
OnTheWarpath15 09:42 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
No, I know about DC.

2000 on the Star board, which led to the creation of CP, was worse than 2004 or 2008.

The whole reason to create DC in 2004 was to avoid what happened at the Star.

If it were allowed, politics would easily takeover football in the main forum, just like it did at the Star. The other binary option was to ban politics altogether, which is what the Star chose, and ultimately led to a mass exodus to CP.

The DC Lounge was the compromise.
That mass exodus wouldn’t happen today, because the people it would upset offer no value to the board as a whole.

There’s over 10k members here and the decision to keep DC is being driven by *maybe* 40 people.

You’ve been around a long time - longer than me - how does this board suffer if DC is eliminated and politics is banned from discussion?
Shiver Me Timbers 09:42 PM 10-08-2020
Has there ever been a thread started/posted and "stickey-d" by a mod that ends up in the RR or DC?

I am thinking this thing showing up on top of the Lounge is giving a few heart burn.
Keep politics out of the lounge................
htismaqe 09:43 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
This is the actual truth of what has taken place. And I’ll admit to a minor adjustment to my thinking on the DC forum: I was totally against for the historical reason given here and, later on, because segregation of the subjects seemed to be creating the divide between posters that we are now seeing. When in a single forum you jump from a political subject you disagree on to a thread about the Chiefs (or any subject for that matter) that you do agree on the hatred doesn’t build as rapidly, or at all. Where as segregated forums where it is easy to lock into a general topic, people tend to find themselves focused on those topics ruling their passions at the moment and eventually a habit forms.

But as politics has become apart of sports and every other aspect of life, it is seeping (flowing?) back into the general discussion forum. And. Ow you have all of the animosity full fledged here as well.

My minor adjustment I alluded to is that the segregated forums brought about extra animosity to this board but, in reality, given the way life has played out, that would have eventually happened anyway, the segregation just brought it about faster. Which ultimately supports my original position of keeping it all one forum.
Trust me, it wasn't an easy decision. There wasn't really a great answer.
patteeu 09:43 PM 10-08-2020
No, I know about DC.

2000 on the Star board, which led to the creation of CP, was worse than 2004 or 2008.

If it were allowed, politics would easily takeover football in the main forum, just like it did at the Star. The other binary option was to ban politics altogether, which is what the Star chose, and ultimately led to a mass exodus to CP.

Ok, as to your memory about 2000 and the actual exodus.

But there were several votes to segregate political content that all met with failure before RINGLEADER and jAZ proved to be too much for some, so there was plenty of sentiment against segregation among the original and early members. There was no compromise unless it was discussed in secret by the mods at a time when the mods generally respected the votes of the community.
htismaqe 09:44 PM 10-08-2020
That mass exodus wouldn’t happen today, because the people it would upset offer no value to the board as a whole.

There’s over 10k members here and the decision to keep DC is being driven by *maybe* 40 people.

You’ve been around a long time - longer than me - how does this board suffer if DC is eliminated and politics is banned from discussion?
Keep in mind, this decision was made 16 years ago (to create DC). This board wasn't then what it is now by any stretch.
Bwana 09:44 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Coach:
Can't hurt. I mean, have to start somewhere, yes?

Based on the bolded part, was the reported posts evenly between DC and the Lounge? Or were the reported posts were heavily in one forum side?

Just for a sake of discussion, do you think that half of the reported posts would be slashed to a miniscule of it if DC were to go away?

Without going into the Mod Lounge and digging deep, I would say roughly 65/35 Lounge-DC. With that said, a lot of the reports were coming as a result of the Lounge Covid thread.
Spott 09:46 PM 10-08-2020
No, I know about DC.

Maybe I’m getting old, but I think I forgot about any of the DC stuff happening on the old Star board. I remember a bunch of us getting banned (myself included) for little things and it got to a point where we were doing it on purpose at the end.
Shiver Me Timbers 09:46 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
.............. My suspicion is, several of them don't know what a football looks like.
:-)
OnTheWarpath15 09:46 PM 10-08-2020
Keep in mind, this decision was made 16 years ago (to create DC). This board wasn't then what it is now by any stretch.
Which is why it needs to be addressed now, “tradition” be damned.
htismaqe 09:49 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Ok, as to your memory about 2000 and the actual exodus.

But there were several votes to segregate political content that all met with failure before RINGLEADER and jAZ proved to be too much for some, so there was plenty of sentiment against segregation among the original and early members. There was no compromise unless it was discussed in secret by the mods at a time when the mods generally respected the votes of the community.
DC was the compromise to a certain extent. The Star had two choices - allow all political talk in the main forum (since there was only one) or eliminate it altogether. Both choices would have led to the inevitable destruction of the board, at least as it related to football.

Despite the outcry from many CP members that our "tradition" demanded it be kept in the Lounge, a lot of regular posters had a problem with it being so prevalent amongst the football topics. And it wasn't just a couple of people, nor would it have remained just a couple of people.

Like I said, it wasn't a decision we made lightly and probably not a decision I'd ever want to be involved in again.
patteeu 09:50 PM 10-08-2020
Which is why it needs to be addressed now, “tradition” be damned.
Why is it so hard for you to ignore opinions you disagree with. Just stay out of DC and you won’t have any problems. I don’t really think you’re cut out to hold your own in there anyway so it would probably be for the best.
patteeu 09:51 PM 10-08-2020
DC was the compromise to a certain extent. The Star had two choices - allow all political talk in the main forum (since there was only one) or eliminate it altogether. Both choices would have led to the inevitable destruction of the board, at least as it related to football.

Despite the outcry from many CP members that our "tradition" demanded it be kept in the Lounge, a lot of regular posters had a problem with it being so prevalent amongst the football topics. And it wasn't just a couple of people, nor would it have remained just a couple of people.

Like I said, it wasn't a decision we made lightly and probably not a decision I'd ever want to be involved in again.
It was a minority of people as evidenced by the series of polls that all failed.
OnTheWarpath15 09:51 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Why is it so hard for you to ignore opinions you disagree with. Just stay out of DC and you won’t have any problems. I don’t really think you’re cut out to hold your own in there anyway so it would probably be for the best.
If the trash would stay there, it wouldn’t be an issue now would it?

I don’t go there. The garbage leaks through the bag.
Coach 09:53 PM 10-08-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Without going into the Mod Lounge and digging deep, I would say roughly 65/35 Lounge-DC. With that said, a lot of the reports were coming as a result of the Lounge Covid thread.
Yeah, I wasn't expecting you to do all the heavy lifting, I just wanted some rough ideas where the reports were coming from, from your own experience.

Of course, on the other hand, 2020 is a unique year, which I anticipate the reason why the uptick of the reports, because of the situation we're in with this COVID going on.

I would have to imagine that if it wasn't a Presidential election year on top of COVID, the reports wouldn't be as high as you folks are experiencing right now.
Page 42 of 57
« First < 323839404142 4344454652 > Last »
Up