Page 392 of 934
« First < 292342382388389390391392 393394395396402442492892 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
MagicHef 03:08 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
if you're stressing one day after buying a stock this ain't the game for you fam
Have you ever dabbled in options?
[Reply]
RunKC 03:13 PM 08-11-2020
Fuck yeah! Apple and Tesla splitting. Put that money in folks

BREAKING: Tesla announces 5-for-1 stock split https://t.co/jn8limUSe7

— CNBC Now (@CNBCnow) August 11, 2020

[Reply]
SupDock 03:33 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:

The impact of splitting is confusing to me. In an era where you can buy fractional shares, why does this matter? I get that the stock surged after the news, but why?

Granted, I am a set and forget investor, so I don't pay attention much.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:46 PM 08-11-2020

Stock splitting changes nothing financially for the investor. More shares but they are worth the same money before the split.

Only benefit could be for those doing covered calls now have more shares to sell options on.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:07 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Have you ever dabbled in options?
No - what is it, you set a price you'll sell a stock for 3 months in the future or something? Hope some rube comes along?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 04:26 PM 08-11-2020
No - what is it, you set a price you'll sell a stock for 3 months in the future or something? Hope some rube comes along?
Is this sarcasm?
[Reply]
MagicHef 04:37 PM 08-11-2020
No, you purchase the option to buy a stock in the future at a set price. Much more volatile than straight stock purchases, higher potential profit but more likely to lose money. Interestingly, you need less money to invest which lowers your total risk in the worst case scenario. It seems like something you’d be interested in based on your investment strategy.

https://us.etrade.com/knowledge/libr...ding-beginners
[Reply]
RunKC 04:45 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Stock splitting changes nothing financially for the investor. More shares but they are worth the same money before the split.

Only benefit could be for those doing covered calls now have more shares to sell options on.
Lower stock price=sale. People will buy these companies bc they are affordable, especially Tesla, which means the stock price will go up.

Apple did their last stock split in 2014 when it started around $92. It has gone up 5 fold in 6 years.

That’s amazing
[Reply]
lewdog 06:21 PM 08-11-2020
Lower stock price=sale. People will buy these companies bc they are affordable, especially Tesla, which means the stock price will go up.

Apple did their last stock split in 2014 when it started around $92. It has gone up 5 fold in 6 years.

That’s amazing
It would have done that without splitting.

See Amazon.

The split does nothing. It’s a great company with a high stock price because it’s got great revenue and a huge cash pile. People can buy partial shares already, so splitting means nothing. If Apple is worth purchasing at $100/shares, it’s also worth purchasing at $500/share.
[Reply]
rydogg58 06:59 PM 08-11-2020

See Amazon.

The split does nothing. It’s a great company with a high stock price because it’s got great revenue and a huge cash pile. People can buy partial shares already, so splitting means nothing. If Apple is worth purchasing at $100/shares, it’s also worth purchasing at $500/share.
I've seen people say this a few times now about buying partial shares. I use TD Ameritrade. Is this something I can do with them? I'm not familiar with buying partial shares.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:04 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
I've seen people say this a few times now about buying partial shares. I use TD Ameritrade. Is this something I can do with them? I'm not familiar with buying partial shares.
Not everyone allows it but some do.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:12 PM 08-11-2020
Not that I don't mind some great pump and dump options, but some good dialogue in this thread could make it valuable.

Just a bit of thought on Apple. Most people already "own" a large position in Apple given it's heavy weight carried in many index and mutual funds that people own. Many times people will select funds in their 401k and not even know their exposure to the top companies within that fund, which many times includes Apple. I personally have no need for owning Apple as my exposure through funds is already quite high. That doesn't mean I won't swing trade it or sell/buy options on it if needed. Owning it long term is already factored into my 401k and ROTH IRA, however, so weighting myself further to Apple with individual stocks isn't a need for me.

Just some food for thought.
[Reply]
SupDock 08:18 PM 08-11-2020
Not that I don't mind some great pump and dump options, but some good dialogue in this thread could make it valuable.

Just a bit of thought on Apple. Most people already "own" a large position in Apple given it's heavy weight carried in many index and mutual funds that people own. Many times people will select funds in their 401k and not even know their exposure to the top companies within that fund, which many times includes Apple. I personally have no need for owning Apple as my exposure through funds is already quite high. That doesn't mean I won't swing trade it or sell/buy options on it if needed. Owning it long term is already factored into my 401k and ROTH IRA, however, so weighting myself further to Apple with individual stocks isn't a need for me.

Just some food for thought.

Exactly,

It's also interesting how many people choose to actively manage the bulk of their portfolios when generally this will underperform in the long term.
[Reply]
SupDock 08:19 PM 08-11-2020

See Amazon.

Yep
[Reply]
scho63 12:30 AM 08-12-2020
A stock split brings in MORE individual investors.
[Reply]
Page 392 of 934
« First < 292342382388389390391392 393394395396402442492892 > Last »
Up