ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 23
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Thoughts the day after
TwistedChief 04:32 AM 09-20-2021
Went to bed embarrassed and mad. Woke up fine.

We've lost so infrequently over the past couple years that I think we've forgotten how to do it. And how to cope with it as fans.

That defensive performance was about as pathetic as I can ever remember. Literally no saving grace on that front. And that's concerning. But we can acknowledge that these two matchups were particularly bad for this team and we've seen Spags' defenses look lost in the past only to make adjustments and find a way to improve to semi-respectable.

The reality is we played a NUMBER of close games like this last year and each and every time the ball bounced our way. Now, a lot of that is because we have Mahomes who has papered over endless deficiencies for the last few years, but even as a recently as last week, if Chubb doesn't fumble, do we win that game? What is the narrative like then?

Clyde looks bad. Like, even below the status of a normal JAG running back. But I don't think you can fault Andy for running the ball in that situation. It's not like the guy has a LeSean McCoy recent history of fumbling for you (or at all). It happened. It sucks.

Anyway, guys, this is no different from prior seasons. We can beat any team. We have Mahomes and 99% of the time Clyde isn't fumbling there, Butker kicks a FG, we end up winning the game, and we're all doing cartwheels and looking forward to the Chargers. It didn't happen here, but that doesn't make us materially worse as a football team.

This team ex-Mahomes has been soft. Hopefully this toughens us up. We'll be fine.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:40 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by JolieMolie:
Yes. That was my thought about last week and then for yesterday. Not only was there a hangover, but Andy seems stressed and may unfortunately still be affected by the terrible event the week before. Can you say down year?
FFS. :-)

In the past 12 hours... the 1 seed is gone, we're wasting away Mahomes' career, and at 1-1 they're headed foe a down year.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:41 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
We were already in FG range with all of our timeouts. It was clock killing time. Absolutely it was. With our field position and the amount of timeouts, we only needed about 30 seconds of clock to score.

That means they needed to kill a min.

Being content with playing for a 45 yard field goal with Mahomes as your QB is monumentally dumb. Running the ball there was very unlikely to result in a positive play especially since that’s what they were expecting based on crowding the line. All night long we were completing short passes at will. It was a bad call even without hindsight.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:42 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
FFS. :-)

In the past 12 hours... the 1 seed is gone, we're wasting away Mahomes' career, and at 1-1 they're headed foe a down year.
Well, in fairness - they probably are headed for a "down year".

Meaning they'll lose more than two games.

:-)
[Reply]
jettio 09:42 AM 09-20-2021
I remember when i first joined chiefs planet and we had members from all of the afc west fanbases, there was this idea of karma where if one team's supporters talked too much smack about the other team's chances, the game results would be the payback.

This game was kind of like that, a lot of chiefs fans here always badmouth Lamar Jackson and a lot of harsh criticism of Sammy Watkins.

Kind of cool that Lamar Jackson showed why his NFL peers consider him a special talent and competitor. I certainly glad to have Mahomes as Chiefs QB1, but Lamar Jackson is super talented and competes hard. He is a lot better than the chiefs planet "consensus" says he is.
[Reply]
Mennonite 09:42 AM 09-20-2021
they're headed foe a down year.

[Reply]
Bearcat 09:43 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
They weren't shutting it down. Lol, it was 2nd and 3. They still had a whole other down to get 3 yards.

Honestly, considering the field position, the down and distance and the TO situation it's hard to fathom a better time to run it.

They woulda taken balt's last TO OR burned 45 secs off the clock and THEN gotten the 1st and likely iced the game. That woulda been the end result.

All CEH had to do was not fumble.
Yep... their normal offense is all about getting to 3rd and short. It was 2nd and short. You either pick up a 1st on the ground and run a bit of clock or deal with a routine 3rd and 2-4 yards.

If it was 2nd and 10, then yeah, let's not hand it off up the gut and make it 3rd and 9... and it was those calls earlier in the hall that killed drives. Any outcome besides fumbling the ball or running backwards 10 yards and it's a fine call (not amazing, but fine).
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:45 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Being content with playing for a 45 yard field goal with Mahomes as your QB is monumentally dumb. Running the ball there was very unlikely to result in a positive play especially since that’s what they were expecting based on crowding the line. All night long we were completing short passes at will. It was a bad call even without hindsight.
I'm with you 100% here.

It's dumb being content for a FG with just about ANY non-rookie QB.

Wonder if Minnesota regrets playing for the FG this morning. They were marching on the Cardinals, then slammed on the brakes.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 09:47 AM 09-20-2021
This team is going to play close games against physical teams. Losing for the first time in September in recent memory isn’t going to make me worry.

This team has warts defensively. No doubt. And clyde’s struggling. Still put 35 on the board. Were in position to win at end. Bad luck fumble.

LJ was breaking legs on those runs last night. Pretty amazing stuff really.

The floor for this team is still the AFCCG. The Chiefs have the best player. I’m okay with where they sit.
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:47 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Calm down, get a hold of yourself!

Airplane Get A Hold Of Yourself GIFfrom Airplane GIFs

[Reply]
ModSocks 09:48 AM 09-20-2021
Being content with playing for a 45 yard field goal with Mahomes as your QB is monumentally dumb.
Again, 2nd and 3. They had two downs to get 3 yards. No one said anything about settling for a FG.

Matter of fact, it's the complete opposite. The worry here is that we'd score TOO FAST.

Again, we only needed 30 seconds or so to score a TD. Not a FG. A TD. The FG was a given.

35-ish yards to go.....1.5min....3 TO's.

The Chiefs can score in one freaking play.

THERE WAS TOO MUCH TIME. Run it there, kill clock and a Ravens TO, pick up the 1st on 3rd down and continue driving the ball in 100% control of the clock.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:48 AM 09-20-2021
I dont even really get mad after a regular season loss anymore but the Reid slander on here was pretty disgusting
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:50 AM 09-20-2021
Any outcome besides fumbling the ball or running backwards 10 yards and it's a fine call (not amazing, but fine).
Exactly.

Any outcome that isn't fumbling the ball = Chiefs win.

He coulda fucking fallen down and it'd be 3rd and 3. Mahomes gets the first down, the Ravens are out of timeouts, we're likely inside the 30 with 3 T.O's, it's 1st down and are in 110% control of the outcome of the game.
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:50 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Flying High D:
Orlando was probably the one that was supposed to of blocked him.
Well, the clip seems to suggest that was 62's responsibility. But why should we believe our lying eyes, right?
[Reply]
Bearcat 09:51 AM 09-20-2021
I wouldn't say that one play means they were content with a FG, but completely agree you keep playing your normal offense... I'd rather see a TD and maybe two point conversion with 45 seconds and the Ravens out of timeouts than attempt a longer FG.

It was an interesting position to be in though.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 09:51 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Well, in fairness - they probably are headed for a "down year".

Meaning they'll lose more than two games.

:-)
Exactly. And come January, you know in your heart opposing teams don’t want to see the Chiefs and PMII on the other side of the field.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 23
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up