ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 23
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Thoughts the day after
TwistedChief 04:32 AM 09-20-2021
Went to bed embarrassed and mad. Woke up fine.

We've lost so infrequently over the past couple years that I think we've forgotten how to do it. And how to cope with it as fans.

That defensive performance was about as pathetic as I can ever remember. Literally no saving grace on that front. And that's concerning. But we can acknowledge that these two matchups were particularly bad for this team and we've seen Spags' defenses look lost in the past only to make adjustments and find a way to improve to semi-respectable.

The reality is we played a NUMBER of close games like this last year and each and every time the ball bounced our way. Now, a lot of that is because we have Mahomes who has papered over endless deficiencies for the last few years, but even as a recently as last week, if Chubb doesn't fumble, do we win that game? What is the narrative like then?

Clyde looks bad. Like, even below the status of a normal JAG running back. But I don't think you can fault Andy for running the ball in that situation. It's not like the guy has a LeSean McCoy recent history of fumbling for you (or at all). It happened. It sucks.

Anyway, guys, this is no different from prior seasons. We can beat any team. We have Mahomes and 99% of the time Clyde isn't fumbling there, Butker kicks a FG, we end up winning the game, and we're all doing cartwheels and looking forward to the Chargers. It didn't happen here, but that doesn't make us materially worse as a football team.

This team ex-Mahomes has been soft. Hopefully this toughens us up. We'll be fine.
[Reply]
Flying High D 08:03 AM 09-20-2021
I would rather get kicked by Hunt then roll CEH out there again.
[Reply]
lcarus 08:06 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
He’s an absolutely absurd athlete. He’s fun to watch. He’s never going to be a great passer, but he makes ‘just enough’ plays.
One sequence that really screwed us was when we left Andrews uncovered for a 20 yard gain and then the next play left Brown wide open for the long TD. That whole time the defense had no clue what they were supposed to do.
[Reply]
Flying High D 08:10 AM 09-20-2021
^ It would be safe to say the defense was in that mode the whole game.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:12 AM 09-20-2021
We saw some things from Hardman that bode very well long term.
[Reply]
GoForIt 08:13 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
Good for you.

I'm still ****ing pissed.

There's only one first round bye. Every game, especially against other conference contenders is hugely important.

To have this game in the bag and watch it slip away because of the same Andy Reid bullshit we've seen countless times over the past few years is infuriating.

If I'm Patrick Mahomes, I'm marching into his office this morning and putting my damn foot down. We're going to keep attacking all four quarters, no matter the score, until there are zeroes on the clock. If we do that, we won't lose again this season. Otherwise, expect 4-5 more of this exact same game as the year goes on.
I think you make a legit case that Mahomes awful pick allowed the Ravens back in the game late.
[Reply]
ChiTown 08:14 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
Good for you.

I'm still ****ing pissed.

There's only one first round bye. Every game, especially against other conference contenders is hugely important.

To have this game in the bag and watch it slip away because of the same Andy Reid bullshit we've seen countless times over the past few years is infuriating.

If I'm Patrick Mahomes, I'm marching into his office this morning and putting my damn foot down. We're going to keep attacking all four quarters, no matter the score, until there are zeroes on the clock. If we do that, we won't lose again this season. Otherwise, expect 4-5 more of this exact same game as the year goes on.
Yeah, this one still stings badly this morning. It's hard to win games in this league. So, when you shoot yourself in the foot with an 11 point lead, as a fan, you are looking for someone to murder. I'm still on the hunt....
[Reply]
stumppy 08:16 AM 09-20-2021
CEH is not and never will be a feature back in the NFL. He's too small and too slow. They need to give McKinnon a chance or at least give a lot more carries to Williams.

The defense looked lost out there. Too many players out of position and the ones where they were supposed to be just didn't show up.

If it weren't for luck we'd be 0-2.
[Reply]
Toad 08:19 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
As much as we like to talk shit on Lamar Jackson, he's a REALLY good player.

He went Michael Vick in Madden 04 on us last night. I'm not trying to make excuses for the defense. They sucked ass the past 2 weeks and must make improvements if this team is going to be a serious SB contender.
He certainly made our defense look like they were standing in hard mud…especially Ben Nieman.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:21 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
We saw some things from Hardman that bode very well long term.
You mean like that pass he bobbled but ended up catching.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 08:22 AM 09-20-2021
In the past games against Lamar we focused on containment and securing the edge. Where was that last night?? Spags???? We need answers.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:24 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I've always felt like CP is a bit of a support group during difficult times, no?

"My girlfriend just broke up with me."
"Do you have pics?" "I think your girl just friended me on FB."

"I got in a car accident and have tremendous pain."
"Have you considered drinking antifreeze and dying? Just a thought."

We're family.
First and foremost, it's a place to vent whenever the Chiefs lose... but, as far as coping well, in close second is overreacting to losses.

They just played two of their toughest 3 or 4 games of the season against two of the best run games in the league, against two teams that CLEARLY wanted to beat the Chiefs in September... and they were a couple of dumb plays away from being 2-0.

My own dumb fan narrative was I thought they would start the season by destroying everything in their path, but of course between the defense both games and play calling last night, it hasn't happened.

Meh? If we get 4 months down the road and nothing has changed and they lose in the same fashion, then yeah, I'll be kind of pissed about it when the games really matter. #RegularSeasonProblems
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:26 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
First and foremost, it's a place to vent whenever the Chiefs lose... but, as far as coping well, in close second is overreacting to losses.

They just played two of their toughest 3 or 4 games of the season against two of the best run games in the league, against two teams that CLEARLY wanted to beat the Chiefs in September... and they were a couple of dumb plays away from being 2-0.

My own dumb fan narrative was I thought they would start the season by destroying everything in their path, but of course between the defense both games and play calling last night, it hasn't happened.

Meh? If we get 4 months down the road and nothing has changed and they lose in the same fashion, then yeah, I'll be kind of pissed about it when the games really matter. #RegularSeasonProblems

This is how we lose games though and I’m fairly certain without the undefeated motivation they will get complacent and lose at least two more just like this where they had no business losing, if not more. The only question will be if it costs them the one seed.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:28 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by lcarus:
One sequence that really screwed us was when we left Andrews uncovered for a 20 yard gain and then the next play left Brown wide open for the long TD. That whole time the defense had no clue what they were supposed to do.
Yes. They were confused all night. Someone was definitely off.
[Reply]
notorious 08:30 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Yes. They were confused all night. Someone was definitely off.
It was Lamar’s adjustments at the line of scrimmage that confused us.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 08:31 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by lcarus:
Letting them convert the 1st and 25 before half was a killer as well. I'm not sure how Ward let Andrews hurdle him to make it out of bounds.

If Ward makes that tackle, they've gotta burn 10 more seconds and probably don't end up having enough time to make it into field goal range, even with Tucker.

EDIT: I may be confusing drives. I know there was a 1st and 25 at one point and we ended up allowing a 20 yard play to Andrews. I think that was a busted coverage on Mathieu that set them up for a 3rd and short.

Then we had the drive before half. They may have been facing a 1st and 15 there. Either way, Ward ended up getting hurdled in order to stop the clock.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 23
< 12345 678915 > Last »
Up