ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 23
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Thoughts the day after
TwistedChief 04:32 AM 09-20-2021
Went to bed embarrassed and mad. Woke up fine.

We've lost so infrequently over the past couple years that I think we've forgotten how to do it. And how to cope with it as fans.

That defensive performance was about as pathetic as I can ever remember. Literally no saving grace on that front. And that's concerning. But we can acknowledge that these two matchups were particularly bad for this team and we've seen Spags' defenses look lost in the past only to make adjustments and find a way to improve to semi-respectable.

The reality is we played a NUMBER of close games like this last year and each and every time the ball bounced our way. Now, a lot of that is because we have Mahomes who has papered over endless deficiencies for the last few years, but even as a recently as last week, if Chubb doesn't fumble, do we win that game? What is the narrative like then?

Clyde looks bad. Like, even below the status of a normal JAG running back. But I don't think you can fault Andy for running the ball in that situation. It's not like the guy has a LeSean McCoy recent history of fumbling for you (or at all). It happened. It sucks.

Anyway, guys, this is no different from prior seasons. We can beat any team. We have Mahomes and 99% of the time Clyde isn't fumbling there, Butker kicks a FG, we end up winning the game, and we're all doing cartwheels and looking forward to the Chargers. It didn't happen here, but that doesn't make us materially worse as a football team.

This team ex-Mahomes has been soft. Hopefully this toughens us up. We'll be fine.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:47 AM 09-20-2021
I’m mad I won’t be owning a Chiefs 17-0 shirt!!!
[Reply]
Coogs 05:51 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Sorry, but that kind of thinking is worthless unless you come up with some reasons why that has happened in the past.

It's not like the players go, "Welp, it's year 3 of the Spags system. Time to play like shit!"
It was just a thought that came to mind. I don't have the time to research it out. Thought maybe some of you that do have the time could see if there was any parallel.
[Reply]
JPH83 05:51 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
We didn't really add much last year either. But by the end of the season we got sneaky good on D. For whatever reason spags defense seems to start the season very slowly.
This is my hope, that that trend continues. But it looks awful. I think most of us were optimistic that even if the defence is middling Mahomes give us enough. Probably still true, but when it's this poor he's up against it.

I don't know how much is scheme and coaching and how much is just personnel. I don't think Reed is the signing people thought he was. Clark continues to disappoint. Danna looks like a 5th round pick and our secondary isn't even covering that well and looks more like the gamble we might have anticipated.

It would've been hard but getting help at DE seems like a better bet than moving Jones there. I had faith in the remaining DTs but it seems misplaced.

If they can get anywhere near average we're fine, and then that DL needs revisiting.
[Reply]
FlaChief58 05:53 AM 09-20-2021
Not much to say here other than the game wasn't as close as the final score indicates. We could have easily lost in a blowout were it not for HB and Kelce. We were completely outmatched and under prepared. Their backups kicked our asses. Time to lick our wounds and move on.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 05:53 AM 09-20-2021
I think 13 wins is the new ceiling. Without the prospect of going undefeated we will see some uninspired play at times. Last season was sort of the same way but we pulled almost all games out.

They are just going to play it out until the post season which means even more of the bad starts or finishes, probably splitting with each of the Chargers and Raiders and losing one other. The only question is will it be enough for the one seed. Basically I think this regular season will end up being just sort of there without much worth making it memorable.
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:56 AM 09-20-2021
IMO it was a complete team loss, nobody was excluded, except number 87, Kelce is above any blame. He balled his ass off.

Honey Badger had two great picks, then two crucial phantom holding calls. He touched a receiver but Tyreek was getting his jersey ripped off.

Sorenson was total ass in the first half and then came up big towards the end with at least two great plays.

Andy was Andy, and I guess he always will be.

Mahomes was awesome until the desperation lobb that ended his perfection in September streak.

Chris Jones was not much of a factor and being held most of the game. I don't recall a single offensive holding call for either side.

The NFL was the benefactor of a very, very exciting game. I guess that is why they call it ENTERTAINMENT. That being said, hopefully this will have a positive impact on our favorite team going forward.
[Reply]
RealSNR 05:58 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Coogs:
It was just a thought that came to mind. I don't have the time to research it out. Thought maybe some of you that do have the time could see if there was any parallel.
There isn't. I already did the research.

You're welcome.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:02 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Embarrassed? What for? It’s not like you coached this team.
Because I’m a low self-esteem beta who derives his self-worth from this football team?
[Reply]
Great Expectations 06:03 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:

Even in the Browns game, it felt like there were adjustments made that put us in a better spot.
That adjustment was Cleveland abandoning the run. We haven’t stopped it in two games.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:05 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
IMO it was a complete team loss, nobody was excluded, except number 87, Kelce is above any blame. He balled his ass off.
Pringle Balled out.
[Reply]
Indian Chief 06:11 AM 09-20-2021
I agree with the overall spirit of your post, however I can and do blame Andy for running the ball there. It isn't based on the outcome either, but rather the motivation behind it. I know why other teams would run there, but Mahomes throwing short, quick passes is just as reliable. And he's accurate to the point that you can still keep the clock moving. There's no reason to run and play for a last second field goal. The entire drive up to that point was Mahomes carving Baltimore up at will.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 06:15 AM 09-20-2021
About 30 minutes after the game i thought to myself.. We will still wake up with Mahomes at the helm and thats a much better feeling than waking up to Lamar at the helm.

Honestly, this team is changing more than just the line in a lot of ways, it will just take time to gel. I'd rather attempt to get better like we did than to "run it back" and put retain jags where we could upgrade. This defensive line was bad but i'd rather attempt to upgrade and get gashed than put Mike Pennels corpse out there again. Or we could have tried to force LDT or remmers to play for "continuity".
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:16 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Pringle Balled out.
Yes, yes he did, thank you.
[Reply]
kcclone 06:16 AM 09-20-2021
You can find RB’s off the street to give us what Clyde gives us.

Veach’s track record in the first couple of rounds is spotty so far.

This reminds me of 2018, where our D won’t be able to stop good teams and we’re going to have to win by scoring last.

The lack of pass rush is a huge concern, although I get that playing Lamar isn’t a great game to judge.

The Ravens were due for a win against us. I can live with that, but there are some signs to be concerned about.
[Reply]
Flying High D 06:20 AM 09-20-2021
I’ll never understand why he always takes his foot off the other teams neck. Bill Belacheat never does and Tom little boy kisser has 6 rings with bill to prove it.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 23
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up