ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 23
« First < 81415161718 19202122 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Thoughts the day after
TwistedChief 04:32 AM 09-20-2021
Went to bed embarrassed and mad. Woke up fine.

We've lost so infrequently over the past couple years that I think we've forgotten how to do it. And how to cope with it as fans.

That defensive performance was about as pathetic as I can ever remember. Literally no saving grace on that front. And that's concerning. But we can acknowledge that these two matchups were particularly bad for this team and we've seen Spags' defenses look lost in the past only to make adjustments and find a way to improve to semi-respectable.

The reality is we played a NUMBER of close games like this last year and each and every time the ball bounced our way. Now, a lot of that is because we have Mahomes who has papered over endless deficiencies for the last few years, but even as a recently as last week, if Chubb doesn't fumble, do we win that game? What is the narrative like then?

Clyde looks bad. Like, even below the status of a normal JAG running back. But I don't think you can fault Andy for running the ball in that situation. It's not like the guy has a LeSean McCoy recent history of fumbling for you (or at all). It happened. It sucks.

Anyway, guys, this is no different from prior seasons. We can beat any team. We have Mahomes and 99% of the time Clyde isn't fumbling there, Butker kicks a FG, we end up winning the game, and we're all doing cartwheels and looking forward to the Chargers. It didn't happen here, but that doesn't make us materially worse as a football team.

This team ex-Mahomes has been soft. Hopefully this toughens us up. We'll be fine.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:42 PM 09-20-2021
And holy fucking shit rewatching that play the entire line gets blown the fuck back. CEH deserves the scorn he's getting for that abysmal ball security but the big boys up front sure didn't help him out one bit.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 05:44 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
No, we don't all agree that it was unlikely to gain net yards.

Had CEH held the ball, the Ravens would be forced to use a T.O. Running to burn that T.O off is less risky than passing, as you have the risk of an incompletion or a sack. If Mahomes throws incomplete on 2nd down, we now MUST convert the 3rd down or risk giving the ball back with well over a minute after kicking the FG.

If CEH fails to pick up the 1st, that's fine, we still have another down to attempt it, but we've at least burned a T.O thus guaranteeing that we can wind the clock down another 45 seconds before kicking the FG in the event we fail on 3rd down.

I can't believe this is even a debate.

Honestly, if ya'll can't figure this one out then you have no right at all to critique Reid's playcalling.

Running there was the absolute no brainer in that situation and IN NO WAY did it signify "conservative" or that they were playing for a FG.
There is nothing at all "no brainer" about ever removing the ball from Mahomes' hands. You can argue it wasn't a bad call but certainly not a no brainer.
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:49 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by comochiefsfan:
There is nothing at all "no brainer" about ever removing the ball from Mahomes' hands. You can argue it wasn't a bad call but certainly not a no brainer.
Every single play the ball is in someone else's hands, and they, like CEH, have to hold onto it. Are our receivers immune to dropping passes or fumbling or some shit? Last thing we need is a Hardman tip drill or Robinson running backwards.

For all we know Humphries snaps the damn ball over his head again. Shit happens. Hell, Mahomes threw a damn INT for the 1st time in his life.

You can't sit there worried about that kind of shit and calling plays scared over it.

CEH has to hold onto the ball. Period. End of story. It was the ABSOLUTE right call in that situation. CEH didn't do his job.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 05:57 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
No, we don't all agree that it was unlikely to gain net yards.

Had CEH held the ball, the Ravens would be forced to use a T.O. Running to burn that T.O off is less risky than passing, as you have the risk of an incompletion or a sack. If Mahomes throws incomplete on 2nd down, we now MUST convert the 3rd down or risk giving the ball back with well over a minute after kicking the FG.

If CEH fails to pick up the 1st, that's fine, we still have another down to attempt it, but we've at least burned a T.O thus guaranteeing that we can wind the clock down another 45 seconds before kicking the FG in the event we fail on 3rd down.

I can't believe this is even a debate.

Honestly, if ya'll can't figure this one out then you have no right at all to critique Reid's playcalling.

Running there was the absolute no brainer in that situation and IN NO WAY did it signify "conservative" or that they were playing for a FG.

You are completely ignoring how the game was being played. CEH had 8 of 13 rushes go 4 yards or less. He had 6 go for less than 3 yards with a few negatives. Mahomes on the other hand did whatever he wanted in the short passing game.

At best it’s a 50% proposition CEH gets a first down. And that’s not even accounting for how packed the defense was within five yards of the line of scrimmage on the play. It had next to no chance.

Mahomes on the other hand had zero passes incomplete under five yards. Zero. I thought there was one at some point though.

Now tell me what choice is most likely to lead to a first down while also forcing a timeout.

https://charts-cdn-c.nextgenstats.nf...169176912.jpeg
[Reply]
tredadda 06:59 PM 09-20-2021
I remember the Titans regular season game in 2019. We lost that due to a comedy of errors. Ultimately I think we all like how that season ended. This team wasn't going undefeated, so to get a L out of the way now is huge in helping this team fix the problems as well as getting a reality check. If it happens in Week 16 or 17 then we have reason to be nervous.
[Reply]
carcosa 07:10 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
Went to bed embarrassed and mad. Woke up fine.

We've lost so infrequently over the past couple years that I think we've forgotten how to do it. And how to cope with it as fans.

That defensive performance was about as pathetic as I can ever remember. Literally no saving grace on that front. And that's concerning. But we can acknowledge that these two matchups were particularly bad for this team and we've seen Spags' defenses look lost in the past only to make adjustments and find a way to improve to semi-respectable.

The reality is we played a NUMBER of close games like this last year and each and every time the ball bounced our way. Now, a lot of that is because we have Mahomes who has papered over endless deficiencies for the last few years, but even as a recently as last week, if Chubb doesn't fumble, do we win that game? What is the narrative like then?

Clyde looks bad. Like, even below the status of a normal JAG running back. But I don't think you can fault Andy for running the ball in that situation. It's not like the guy has a LeSean McCoy recent history of fumbling for you (or at all). It happened. It sucks.

Anyway, guys, this is no different from prior seasons. We can beat any team. We have Mahomes and 99% of the time Clyde isn't fumbling there, Butker kicks a FG, we end up winning the game, and we're all doing cartwheels and looking forward to the Chargers. It didn't happen here, but that doesn't make us materially worse as a football team.

This team ex-Mahomes has been soft. Hopefully this toughens us up. We'll be fine.
WBF!
[Reply]
tredadda 07:27 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by carcosa:
WBF!
This. Sometimes things don't go our way and sometimes they do. We are upset over the CEH fumble, but forget the week prior we were the beneficiaries of a Chubb fumble. So far no contender has looked dominant. The Bills got beat by a slightly above average Steelers week 1. The Dolphins offense is hot garbage (they really need to trade for Watson). The Packers were humiliated week 1. The Saints couldn't beat Carolina. The Bucs won against the Cowboys thanks to "questionable reffing". The Browns had their hands full against the horrible Texans. It's week 2. This team never was going to go undefeated. They will be fine.
[Reply]
Coogs 07:38 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
There isn't. I already did the research.

You're welcome.
I don't know man. A lot of low numbers attached to his resume. High numbers and low numbers. Not much in between.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...es/SpagSt0.htm
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:58 PM 09-20-2021
From a friend……

Friendly reminder: Through 10 weeks in 2019 the #Chiefs dropped to 6-4 coming off a heartbreaking loss to the #Titans in which KC lost in the final seconds. After that loss the Chiefs went on to win 9 games in a row and bring a Lombardi trophy home to Kansas City for the first time in 50 years.

Conclusion: R-E-L-A-X.
[Reply]
synthesis2 08:26 PM 09-20-2021
Agreed I guess it just felt like we truly just “gave it away” meaning if you take the totality of our team . And take where we were at that point in the game right before the fumble and start at that point over again . 95% of the time we win that game , either a few runs or dump of passes we get to the 10-25 yard line and but kicks the FG game over , literally 95% of the time . I know it’s not happening often but it’s just like a free giveaway for them . Mahomes easily played well enough and outplayed Jackson but in the end Jackson beat CEH, not Patrick . Just hate being on the 5% end .
[Reply]
Graystoke 08:38 PM 09-20-2021
In my opinion we let Baltimore hang around. We should have put them away when we were up 11. Terrible defense and thin margins means one mistake the tide can turn.
I was fine calling a run as it would burn time. But again one mistake, fumble in this case, and game was over.
[Reply]
jdubya 09:02 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by synthesis2:
Agreed I guess it just felt like we truly just “gave it away” meaning if you take the totality of our team . And take where we were at that point in the game right before the fumble and start at that point over again . 95% of the time we win that game , either a few runs or dump of passes we get to the 10-25 yard line and but kicks the FG game over , literally 95% of the time . I know it’s not happening often but it’s just like a free giveaway for them . Mahomes easily played well enough and outplayed Jackson but in the end Jackson beat CEH, not Patrick . Just hate being on the 5% end .
What were the odds of winning last week if Cleveland simply punts the ball like 99.9% of the time? Crazy game sometimes but things have a way of evening out. Standings could read 0-2 as easily as 2-0 today but for a couple of plays
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 09:22 PM 09-20-2021
I’m going to avoid sports media for the week. It’s only Monday and the fawning over Lamar Jackson has been unbearable. I swear every time he wins or has a good performance they treat him like a fat Down syndrome kid who got his first little league base hit. If we’re being honest, Josh Allen’s domination of Miami was a more impressive performance but he’s a traditional quarterback who plays for a small market so it gets dismissed.
[Reply]
comochiefsfan 09:37 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic:
I’m going to avoid sports media for the week. It’s only Monday and the fawning over Lamar Jackson has been unbearable. I swear every time he wins or has a good performance they treat him like a fat Down syndrome kid who got his first little league base hit. If we’re being honest, Josh Allen’s domination of Miami was a more impressive performance but he’s a traditional quarterback who plays for a small market so it gets dismissed.
Yep its just going to piss me off more than I already am. Just going to stay in my CP safe space and vent with you all until we restore order this Sunday.
[Reply]
lcarus 09:39 PM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Yep, let 'em have their day as Champions of September.

What are the chances they pull a Raiders and lose to the Lions next week?
Good god they get to play the fucking Lions next week? Ugh. Seems like everyone gets to play someone shitty in their first 3 games except the Chiefs. Shoot we don't get to play anyone shitty this year besides the Giants. The Eagles and Redskins aren't that good but they're not that bad either. The Bengals at Arrowhead should be a win but they aren't that terrible either. The schedule is brutal as hell this year. Then I look at the Buccaneers schedule and it's a frickin joke. Mainly because they play the AFC East and their own division is trash.

Oh well. Fuck em. Let's go 15-2 anyway.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 23
« First < 81415161718 19202122 > Last »
Up