ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Why is our run defense so bad?
TLO 10:21 PM 09-19-2021
Someone smarter than me please explain.

Is it the line? LBs? Both?
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:29 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
938 total yards allowed.
404 rushing yards allowed.
6.0 yards per carry allowed.
27th out of 32 teams in PPG allowed with 32.5.

Next three games against offenses with a ton of talent and speed, and two mobile QB's.

This is probably getting worse before it gets better.
Yeah but none of them can run the way those last two teams can run.

Chargers have no running game at all.

So it's going to look better by default.
[Reply]
arrwheader 09:34 AM 09-20-2021
Trying to decipher whether this is playing probably the top 2 rushing offenses to start the season with a D who historically starts out slow and a few new guys on the line etc. or if they are just going to be this terrible.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:35 AM 09-20-2021
Lamar Jackson threw for 230 yards on 18/26.

LAMAR JACKSON.

It ain't just the run defense.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:38 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by arrwheader:
Trying to decipher whether this is playing probably the top 2 rushing offenses to start the season with a D who historically starts out slow and a few new guys on the line etc. or if they are just going to be this terrible.
Look, I'll give you Cleveland.

But Baltimore was working with their 4th/5th/6th RB's and a patchwork OL.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 09:39 AM 09-20-2021
Remember this time last year when we were baffled that the D didnt start where it left off in the playoffs? Maybe it takes a while to turn chicken shit into moldy chicken salad?
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:40 AM 09-20-2021
Lamar Jackson threw for 230 yards on 18/26.

LAMAR JACKSON.

It ain't just the run defense.
The poor run defense is what led to some of that poor pass defense. That broken coverage where Brown got behind everyone, for example.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:41 AM 09-20-2021

It's a combination of both. This run defense is bad. Those run O's are elite.

But there's a lot of time to get this right. Early part of the season is the best part of the season to have these issues. They have time to fix it.
[Reply]
arrwheader 09:41 AM 09-20-2021

That is still their identity though, and they still had Jackson who alone was what over 150 rushing yards himself?
[Reply]
arrwheader 09:42 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
Remember this time last year when we were baffled that the D didnt start where it left off in the playoffs? Maybe it takes a while to turn chicken shit into moldy chicken salad?
Yea kinda my first thought, think it should improve even as ugly as it was.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:43 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
Mhhmmm.

The last two seasons the D started slow.

Traditionally, it takes time for defenses to catch up to offenses. Early part of the season almost always favors the offense.
[Reply]
arrwheader 09:43 AM 09-20-2021
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
It's a combination of both. This run defense is bad. Those run O's are elite.

But there's a lot of time to get this right. Early part of the season is the best part of the season to have these issues. They have time to fix it.
Yea, glad it is early I am not panicked yet.

I am disappointed in what CEH is at this point but my thoughts on that are in another thread.
[Reply]
ModSocks 09:44 AM 09-20-2021

Most of it was Jackson and the run/read option that left our sloooow "DE's" stuck in the mud.

Against a team like the Chargers the run D should look a lot better. The defense can focus on doing the things they're good at and try to force Herbert into some bad decisions.
[Reply]
Shields68 09:48 AM 09-20-2021

When they moved Jones to end, we really no longer have a guy that is above average for quickness/speed for his position on the front 7. Lamar was just too quick and fast. Now granted a couple questionable calls helped them sustain a drive or too.

As for the O line, they still have great size and fired out. Not sure it hurts a running team as much.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 09:50 AM 09-20-2021
Bottom line we got scorched for many reasons. Largely individual play. There isnt elite talent on this d, but they should begin to play like an actual defense in time.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 09:51 AM 09-20-2021
The best silver lining I have is:

1. The Chiefs don’t get blown out with Mahomes and Reid. At worst, we’re always in the game at the end. Even with AWFUL defenses, we’re always capable of winning.

2. We looked bad at almost everything in the Raider game last year. The Raiders treated that like their Super Bowl. We then pretty much won out through the regular season.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Up