ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 21
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Craig Stout: Chris Jones has been lining up at DE a TON at OTAs.
Direckshun 05:02 PM 05-28-2021
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Honestly, I’d rather keep him along the interior where he is elite. But Stout mentioned that the base DL is Jones and Clark on the edges with Reed and Nnadi along the interior.

That’s a big risk the team is taking, and the early returns in spot duty last year were not encouraging.

But Stout mentions that Jones has slimmed down a ton as well, clearly prepared to take a stronger role at RDE.

Maybe the most important thing to watch for our defense.

He also mentions Humphrey is your starting center.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:11 AM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Listening to Nate Taylor on the Times Ours Pod, he really made a point to mention that Jarran Reed afforded them the opportunity to really see this through. We didn’t have a true DT with pass rush ability + a big enough frame to run defend. Saunders was the only one outside Jones with that potential last yet but it didn’t happen.

Now that Reed is here, we still keep that strong inside presence and can do a lot of different things.

I don’t think this move is without flaws though. I think we need to be aware of Jones lack of speed on things like the option or contain. Facing a team with an athletic QB like the Ravens and Seahawks makes me not want pull that trigger bc they’ll just run around the guy easily whereas Mike Danna is extremely smart and athletic enough to stop those
They're not going to go with these big sets exclusively against guys like Lamar Jackson. They've pretty much shut the guy down the last 2 years with guys like Okafor on the outside. They know what they are doing.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:48 AM 06-16-2021
Listening to Nate Taylor on the Times Ours Pod, he really made a point to mention that Jarran Reed afforded them the opportunity to really see this through. We didn’t have a true DT with pass rush ability + a big enough frame to run defend. Saunders was the only one outside Jones with that potential last yet but it didn’t happen.

Now that Reed is here, we still keep that strong inside presence and can do a lot of different things.

I don’t think this move is without flaws though. I think we need to be aware of Jones lack of speed on things like the option or contain. Facing a team with an athletic QB like the Ravens and Seahawks makes me not want pull that trigger bc they’ll just run around the guy easily whereas Mike Danna is extremely smart and athletic enough to stop those

Originally Posted by staylor26:
Chris Jones played 3-4 DE to start his career. He will likely be playing a similar role when playing DE on early downs. He’s not moving to DE full time, and will still be playing inside on passing downs. They’ve also said whether he plays there at all and how often will be dependent on the matchup.

How many times does this have to be explained?

[Reply]
O.city 09:51 AM 06-16-2021
The only problem is it's tough to determine run vs pass downs now. Teams throw it alot.

I think with Reed in the middle, I'd be more apt to take chances and put him out there anyway.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:53 AM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
The only problem is it's tough to determine run vs pass downs now. Teams throw it alot.

I think with Reed in the middle, I'd be more apt to take chances and put him out there anyway.
The thing is, with the right personnel, you can exploit matchups in alignment using stunts and twists. It makes you less limited, not more.
[Reply]
O.city 09:56 AM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The thing is, with the right personnel, you can exploit matchups in alignment using stunts and twists. It makes you less limited, not more.
IMO, the key is to not have to use stunts if you have the horses to just get after it, which they do.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:59 AM 06-16-2021

Which is again why it will also be dependent on matchups.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:00 AM 06-16-2021
IMO, the key is to not have to use stunts if you have the horses to just get after it, which they do.
Of course but the use of misdirection and deception are valuable tools to augment the entire set. You're not always just gonna line up head-to-head and hope to win every matchup across the board.
[Reply]
Oxford 10:02 AM 06-16-2021
Andy and Spags working the long-con here. A bit of Rope-a-Dope?
[Reply]
RunKC 10:08 AM 06-16-2021
Big Ben is the only immobile QB we play all season. I’d imagine that circumstances dictate he’ll only play DE the majority of the time on 1st down and 3rd and long.

So not really that much
[Reply]
staylor26 10:27 AM 06-16-2021
Big Ben is the only immobile QB we play all season. I’d imagine that circumstances dictate he’ll only play DE the majority of the time on 1st down and 3rd and long.

So not really that much
There’s a huge gap in between Big Ben and Lamar Jackson and everybody else falls in between. You’re getting a little carried away if you think Jones can’t play DE in any game but that one.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:53 AM 06-16-2021
There’s a huge gap in between Big Ben and Lamar Jackson and everybody else falls in between. You’re getting a little carried away if you think Jones can’t play DE in any game but that one.
He’ll play DE quite a bit this year IMO but I think it’s going to be strategically planned to fit him in on 1st downs and package designs on long obvious passing plays.

Only time I don’t want him playing DE is against Brady bc he gets the ball out too fast.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:35 PM 06-16-2021
Why would they play him at DE on long passing downs?

That doesn't make much sense to me at all. Those would be the plays where he should be inside.
[Reply]
Bowser 01:22 PM 06-16-2021
Why would they play him at DE on long passing downs?

That doesn't make much sense to me at all. Those would be the plays where he should be inside.
Exactly. Pressure up the gut is what QBs hate, and he's pretty fucking good at it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:23 PM 06-16-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Exactly. Pressure up the gut is what QBs hate, and he's pretty fucking good at it.
Not to mention that you'd often go with smaller, quicker sets on 3rd and long.

Makes sense to have him outside on 1st down and inside on 3rd and long with everything in between being the areas where you experiment.
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 03:44 PM 06-16-2021
Not to mention that you'd often go with smaller, quicker sets on 3rd and long.

Makes sense to have him outside on 1st down and inside on 3rd and long with everything in between being the areas where you experiment.
That's fine, but then who is your outside edge in these situation? The Chiefs lack edge depth right now moreso than interior (Until CJ was moved to DE). They need a guy that can contain these athletic QB's these days in those situations
[Reply]
Page 8 of 21
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up