ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 21
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Craig Stout: Chris Jones has been lining up at DE a TON at OTAs.
Direckshun 05:02 PM 05-28-2021
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Honestly, I’d rather keep him along the interior where he is elite. But Stout mentioned that the base DL is Jones and Clark on the edges with Reed and Nnadi along the interior.

That’s a big risk the team is taking, and the early returns in spot duty last year were not encouraging.

But Stout mentions that Jones has slimmed down a ton as well, clearly prepared to take a stronger role at RDE.

Maybe the most important thing to watch for our defense.

He also mentions Humphrey is your starting center.
[Reply]
ChiTown 06:21 AM 05-29-2021
I think the DL is going to be great this year. I also think people may be sleeping a little on Tim Ward. I think he makes a big leap this season.

But to the point in the OP. No, I have zero concerns about where they line up Jones. He’s a certified soul crusher no matter what spot he occupies. That sort of thing should be one of the least of our worries. I love the thought of Jones, Nnadi and Reed playing together.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:28 AM 05-29-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
It's not technically the actual edge, but he had multiple years of double digit sacks lining up at DE in Sutton's 3-4. And for all intents and purposes, his role and responsibilities would look pretty darn similar for the downs in which he's playing 4-3 DE-- soak up double teams from the tackle/guard, and if possible, shed those assholes and make a play, which is what he's excels at.

Justin Tuck in Spagnuolo's Giants teams was also unfamiliar with 4-3 end at one point in his career until they had him in there on certain downs for the better of the rotation. Lo and behold, guys who are the NFL's best interior rushers can also do damage at DE if asked, and then you got to see fresher players at the other DL positions as a result. And frankly, Jones is a better player than Justin Tuck was.

Think of how good Chris Jones is and ask yourself if there's ANY spot on the DL that couldn't use his amazing athletic gifts. Now move him around all the time. Or play him according to matchups if the opposing offense has a weak link against Jones' strengths as a player. Fuck... put Jones at fucking CB if it means we're going to get the best possible defense. I don't care. And I think that's what Spags is really in tune with.

Hells to the yes to all of this. Plus, with LB in Bolton and Gay who are effective blitz guys, a 43 under alignment makes a lot of sense and gives the Chiefs a lot of options.
[Reply]
Toad 07:36 AM 05-29-2021
DE snaps for CJ is not a new concept. Spag gave him snaps there the past 2 years. If memory serves, the risk/downside was that CJ had some opportunity with contain.
[Reply]
scho63 07:51 AM 05-29-2021
Maybe we will learn that Chris Jones can line up at DE in certain situations and create havoc.
That's what OTAs and preseason is all about.
Dont get your panties all in a bunch again sbtaylor. You're not always right in spite of what you believe. :-)
[Reply]
oldman 08:08 AM 05-29-2021
I don't think you can peg him either way (DE or DT). He's going to be all over the place as long as he can go 3 downs. True enough his real value is inside on 3rd and long, but let the young bucks take that pounding on 1st and 2nd.
[Reply]
scho63 08:12 AM 05-29-2021
My only fear would be if he lost too much weight and lost leverage against some real fatties on the Oline.
[Reply]
J Diddy 09:29 AM 05-29-2021
Originally Posted by oldman:
I don't think you can peg him either way (DE or DT). He's going to be all over the place as long as he can go 3 downs. True enough his real value is inside on 3rd and long, but let the young bucks take that pounding on 1st and 2nd.

3rd and long---yes.

3rd and short he becomes Donnie Edwards
[Reply]
O.city 09:43 AM 05-29-2021
I’d imagine they put him at de sparingly
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:47 PM 05-30-2021

[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:55 PM 05-30-2021
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
I know people say that a Defense like the 85' Bears and the 00' Ravens would be impossible today.

But... if a team was able to assemble a line like that? Yeesh.
[Reply]
scho63 09:59 PM 05-30-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
I know people say that a Defense like the 85' Bears and the 00' Ravens would be impossible today.

Usually the difficulty is that a defense built like that takes away from the ability to have a good to great offense.

I think the Bears offense was much better than the Ravens. If I remember correctly, the Ravens couldn't do shit on offense and they won a lot of games with low scores.

The Bears still had Willie Gault and Walter Payton. Thats pretty fucking good.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 10:30 PM 05-30-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Buck up, buddy. Life is too short to track literally one internet stranger and shit on him all the time.
Oh it's way more than one. :-)
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 10:31 PM 05-30-2021
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:

The problem is, they don't let defenses take people's heads off anymore.
[Reply]
crazycoffey 11:00 PM 05-30-2021
Without reading a single comment yet; I’d like to remind everyone here. Hali was a 4-3 DE that could never be a good 3-4 OLB.

Now I start reading.
[Reply]
crazycoffey 11:11 PM 05-30-2021
Lol. Are we a base something over something else? Asking the madden players...

Like with all other position changes, we will see.

But, I’ll take CJ anywhere on the line. In strategy, use what you have to create confusion, challenges, mismatches anywhere and everywhere you have that flexibility. What’s the question again???????
[Reply]
Page 3 of 21
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up