ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 34
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs sign Charles Omenihu
ShowtimeSBMVP 07:43 PM 03-14-2023

Breaking: FA DT Charles Omenihu is signing a two-year, $20M max deal with the #Chiefs, sources tell @theScore.

He's coming off his best season, tallying 16 quarterback hits and 28 initial pressures with #49ers. Omenihu's only 25 years old.

— Jordan Schultz (@Schultz_Report) March 15, 2023

[Reply]
poolboy 02:46 PM 05-05-2023
BJ looks like a Jason Taylor clone, at least bodywise
[Reply]
JPH83 02:50 PM 05-05-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
20 more lbs in an offseason (when he's already added 10 since December) seems really ambitius.

But 5 more gets him near 250 lbs. That'll play.
Yeah I was going for the more extreme end of what I've heard, I'd say there is zero chance of a weight gain of that magnitude, and if it's acheived in that timeframe it's probably not ideal weight. I guess that is the 3rd outcome here, that he's building a little each off season. Starts as a situational rusher, but gradually builds to a more complete DE. But imo 5lbs isn't doing much for him, at 6' 6' 250 is pretty damn light, it just has value if it's part of that gradual build.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:58 PM 05-05-2023
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Yeah I was going for the more extreme end of what I've heard, I'd say there is zero chance of a weight gain of that magnitude, and if it's acheived in that timeframe it's probably not ideal weight. I guess that is the 3rd outcome here, that he's building a little each off season. Starts as a situational rusher, but gradually builds to a more complete DE. But imo 5lbs isn't doing much for him, at 6' 6' 250 is pretty damn light, it just has value if it's part of that gradual build.
I don't disagree.

5 lbs in a vacuum doesn't mean much. 5 lbs as a reasonable proxy for functional strength, OTOH, might.
[Reply]
Toad 04:07 PM 05-05-2023
I mean…5 lbs would be my right testicle alone, but I digress.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:31 PM 05-05-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
As the roster presently stands, there's absolutely room for him to not only make the roster, but get plenty of situational snaps.

Again, we lost Dunlap and Clark, replaced them with Omenihu and Uzi. That leaves any/all snaps we pissed away on Kaindoh and Herring as available. Moreover, Omenihu will likely get a lot of interior rushing snaps, which could free up even more snaps off the edge for Thompson.

If he's even near 250, he can play this season.

Now if we add another veteran as a post June 1 sort of addition, that could change things a bit. But right now there's a clear path to playing time for Thompson and in a very defined role that we don't really have. Even Uzi isn't a real speed rusher as much as he's a guy who can bend an edge.

But if you put Thompson out there and widen him out, then place his target at about 10 yards past the LOS, that's a real headache for QBs because now they have to move up (where Jones/Karlaftis/Omenihu are aiming) or bail out. They can't just take a deeper drop because you've got Thompson flying off the edge at exactly that point and OTs just aren't going to be able to beat him to that spot.

This is EXACTLY why I've been calling for a complementary speed rusher since last off-season. It's because it puts more areas of the pocket at risk and makes movement within said pocket a lot more complicated.
we're thinking the same thing. It's what I think they'd try to do with FAU, too.

And if they happen to add one more veteran pass rusher, my vote would still go to Yannick Ngakuoe, who could do what you're describing, also.
[Reply]
jjchieffan 09:38 PM 05-14-2023
I've read a couple of articles lately saying that with the signing of Omenihu, and the drafting of 3 DE in the last 2 seasons, that Danna is at risk of being cut. I think that's crazy. There isn't enough dependable depth to move on from Danna this season. Right? I mean, Karlaftis is still developing, and we haven't even seen FAU and Johnson in pads yet. I mean, Johnson is even a late round pick. Keeping 5 DE seems like a logical move. The only way I see Danna being cut is if they bring in a vet, and even then, I don't know
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:40 PM 05-14-2023
Yeah it would be crazy to cut Danna.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:04 PM 05-14-2023
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
I've read a couple of articles lately saying that with the signing of Omenihu, and the drafting of 3 DE in the last 2 seasons, that Danna is at risk of being cut. I think that's crazy. There isn't enough dependable depth to move on from Danna this season. Right? I mean, Karlaftis is still developing, and we haven't even seen FAU and Johnson in pads yet. I mean, Johnson is even a late round pick. Keeping 5 DE seems like a logical move. The only way I see Danna being cut is if they bring in a vet, and even then, I don't know
On the surface I’d think Danna stays. But it will matter what the numbers and ST look like.

Plus we haven’t gotten burned too bad stashing dudes on PS. They seem to have a pretty good feel who will make it and who won’t.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:22 PM 05-14-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
we're thinking the same thing. It's what I think they'd try to do with FAU, too.

And if they happen to add one more veteran pass rusher, my vote would still go to Yannick Ngakuoe, who could do what you're describing, also.
I agree with DJ on the speed rusher and I've been calling for it too, I was even willing to see us burn an earlier pick on that type of player. But I'm good with what we've got now, I've said elsewhere that i really don't like Ngakoue. Just not enough consistent pressure. If we invest again on the DL let it be for a Wormley type to solidify DT or just bring back Dunlap
[Reply]
Direckshun 04:24 AM 05-15-2023
Danna is beloved by the coaching staff and the Chiefs still need him for the things he does well. He’s going to get more snaps than FAU.

That being said, it will be the last year of his contract, and I’m not sure how it makes sense for the Chiefs to bring him back.
[Reply]
JPH83 04:46 AM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Danna is beloved by the coaching staff and the Chiefs still need him for the things he does well. He’s going to get more snaps than FAU.

That being said, it will be the last year of his contract, and I’m not sure how it makes sense for the Chiefs to bring him back.
Yeah I'd be amazed if he was cut. He really came on last year and he's super dependable. You don't always get that from a 5th rounder and he's quite likely a better contributor than FAU and Thompson next year. Next year, yep, I reckon they move on.
[Reply]
JohnnyV13 05:40 AM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by Toad:
I mean…5 lbs would be my right testicle alone, but I digress.
I am sad to hear about your testicular cancer. Hope u make it.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 05:56 AM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
I think if it signals anything its that Danna will play inside a lot more. It's not mistake that we drafted two edge only types while having everyone else able to play inside outside except Naddi and the new nose tackle.
[Reply]
O.city 06:54 AM 05-15-2023
He's on a rookie deal and is a good player. Why would they cut him?
[Reply]
RealSNR 07:32 AM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
He's on a rookie deal and is a good player. Why would they cut him?

Ask Tribal Warfare. He wanted his ass gone last year when we had even less depth at DE
[Reply]
Page 18 of 34
« First < 81415161718 1920212228 > Last »
Up