ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 220 of 301
« First < 120170210216217218219220 221222223224230270 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2019 Kansas City Royals Repository ***
Mama Hip Rockets 08:06 AM 03-28-2019
Get the offseason thread out of here. It's on!

Opening day roster:

Catchers (2): Cam Gallagher, Martin Maldonado

Infielders (7): Hunter Dozier, Lucas Duda, Whit Merrifield, Adalberto Mondesi, Ryan O’Hearn, Chris Owings, Frank Schwindel

Outfielders (4): Alex Gordon, Terrance Gore, Billy Hamilton, Jorge Soler

Starting pitchers (3): Jakob Junis, Brad Keller, Jorge Lopez

Relief pitchers (9): Scott Barlow, Brad Boxberger, Jake Diekman, Chris Ellis, Tim Hill, Ian Kennedy, Kevin McCarthy, Wily Peralta, Kyle Zimmer

Injured list: Danny Duffy, Brian Flynn, Jesse Hahn, Salvador Perez

Suspended: Eric Skoglund
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:30 PM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by tk13:
There's a pretty decent correlation between making contact and having success. Those Royals teams were truly one of the best contact hitting groups ever... relative to the rest of baseball. They had the fewest strikeouts in the league by a mile.

Funny enough, a couple years after the Royals knocked the Astros out, Houston totally did a 180 in their philosophy and put an emphasis on contact. In 2015 when they lost to KC they had the 2nd most strikeouts in the league. Two years later they won the World Series and (like the Royals) had the fewest K's in the league. That's a crazy shift considering it was pretty much the same group of star players.

Same thing is happening this year. The Astros are in 1st and have the fewest strikeouts by a pretty good margin.
They also have the best power numbers, highest pull rate, yet the lowest K-rate at essentially every level of the minors.

They are simply a phenomenal organization. Wish the Cardinals had someone like that in their FO...
[Reply]
Chiefspants 05:37 PM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Happens to someone every year.

Kinda think we'll see the Yankees fall victim to it this year but they've put a few guys on that roster like Gregorious and Torres that take tougher ABs. Hicks is is out for the rest of the year, IIRC, but he'd have qualified, Gardner still does.

Guys like that can form the core of a nice offense but you need complementary parts around them as well. It's what makes the Astros so damn dangerous - they have guys like Brantley, Bregman and Altuve that will wear you down around their Springer, Correa and now Alvarez types.

Interestingly the only team to do a 'ideal type' for either of those players WAS the Royals and they won consecutive pennants and a championship by having almost exclusively type B players....and of course a ridiculous bullpen.
It’s been a fun to see the analysis on the question. I agree that both of those players serve a role and their impact depends on the offense. In a vacuum I do lean Player A.

The 2015 Royals were definitely a type B team and that was absolutely the Mets kryptonite (Lefties that hit to contact and forced their infield to try to field). The Royals did have two Type A players on their offense, and they honestly may have been what put them over the top in 2015.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:05 PM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
It’s been a fun to see the analysis on the question. I agree that both of those players serve a role and their impact depends on the offense. In a vacuum I do lean Player A.

The 2015 Royals were definitely a type B team and that was absolutely the Mets kryptonite (Lefties that hit to contact and forced their infield to try to field). The Royals did have two Type A players on their offense, and they honestly may have been what put them over the top in 2015.

Fortunately, Player C types (who hit for average and get on base) exist, too.

That Royals team had six I’d put in that category (guys with OBP at least .050 higher than AVG): Hosmer, Moustakas, Gordon, Zobrist, Cain, and Morales all did that.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:04 PM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Fortunately, Player C types (who hit for average and get on base) exist, too.

That Royals team had six I’d put in that category (guys with OBP at least .050 higher than AVG): Hosmer, Moustakas, Gordon, Zobrist, Cain, and Morales all did that.
Absolutely.

The Type A/Type B player was asking people how much they value walks (if at all).

Saying someone “only hit .270” and therefore was only a middling offensive player never tells the full story to me, but it might for some people.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:06 PM 08-16-2019
Bad news for the Padres and Baseball today.

Tatis was taken out of the lineup with back spasms last week and is now done for the year with a herniated disc in his lower back (an absolutely terrible spot). It’s now being reported this was a struggled he had in the minors too. Gotta feel for Pads fans here - that’s a gutpunch.
[Reply]
tk13 08:18 PM 08-16-2019
Another decent start for Montgomery. Since they've gotten him fully stretched out he's pitched much better.
[Reply]
tk13 08:21 PM 08-16-2019

Mike Montgomery's last five starts for KC

27.1 IPs
28 Hits
5 BBs
26 Ks
7 ERs

2.30 ERA

— Cody Tapp (@codybtapp) August 17, 2019

[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:42 PM 08-16-2019
If this Royals team somehow manages to knock the Mets out of playoff contention, I’d hate to venture over to MetsRefugees.
[Reply]
tk13 08:57 PM 08-16-2019
O'Hearn! What an inning. Phillips, Starling and O'Hearn deliver.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:58 PM 08-16-2019
I was feeling that one. Smashed.
[Reply]
tk13 08:59 PM 08-16-2019
Nevermind. O'Hearn's season in a nutshell right there.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 09:01 PM 08-16-2019
I thought it was foul when I saw it live.
[Reply]
Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan 09:15 PM 08-16-2019
So, does Kennedy blow this one or does he pull a rabbit out of his hat?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:19 PM 08-16-2019
Damn. It got overturned - but the Royals beat the Mets like it was straight outta 2015
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:20 PM 08-16-2019
So glad they got rid of that old faggot who would dress up like a player from 1912 and wave the W. I'm sure ChiefsCountry and DJ liked him.
[Reply]
Page 220 of 301
« First < 120170210216217218219220 221222223224230270 > Last »
Up