Page 928 of 934
« First < 428828878918924925926927928 929930931932 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
UteChief 05:01 PM 03-13-2024
Originally Posted by 493rd:
The existing standard deduction is scheduled to be halved and taxes increased as it stands today. The goal is to give the government as little as possible. I’d suggest finding a good CPA.
I’m lucky. My boss is a CPA, so I can discuss it with her.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 05:15 PM 03-13-2024
The existing standard deduction is scheduled to be halved and taxes increased as it stands today. The goal is to give the government as little as possible. I’d suggest finding a good CPA.
going back to itemized deductions I guess!
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:22 PM 03-13-2024
Originally Posted by UteChief:
Thanks Rainman, that makes a lot of sense for your situation. I’d love to hear others. An advisor started doing this for my SIL and I can’t figure out why!
I think it has a place with variable incomes if incomes are down.

I think there is a case to be made that if you want out of some investments that have a loss in a taxable account you could do Roth conversions for the loss amount. But that sounds…painful.

I think there is a case where you lose an expense and could do Roth conversions for that amount without much impact on your life. For instance, if you pay off your mortgage you could do a Roth conversion for the P&I of your mortgage and not feel it too much. But my (not very confident, but it’s what I’d do) opinion is if you have the time horizon to capitalize on ROTH benefits, you’re probably better off to take whatever tax savings you are trying to utilize and stick the cash amount of the tax savings into a taxable brokerage (or increase contributions to a qualified plan if you have room).

I recently made this ridiculous spreadsheet that evaluated some qualified plan options, the theory of the exercise was to maximize total assets given a set cash flow. My bias was to put everything into a Roth optioned 401K, but in point of fact, sticking it in a traditional 401K and investing the tax savings into a taxable brokerage outperformed the Roth + tax across every variable I looked at. Thats all assuming current tax rates which 493 points out could change soon.

I’m not ready to take the leap on the basis of potential tax changes like 493 is suggesting, but it’s probably the smart play. The 2017 tax cuts were signify d if they go the other way Mr T predicts PAIN. But who the hell knows what will happen. I wouldn’t have predicted Trump of all people would sign off on SALT limitations and as much as democrats rail on capital gains tax they never do anything about it. So I’m not willing to eat tax on the current betting on the future with tax. But I’m almost certainly wrong.
[Reply]
493rd 05:24 PM 03-13-2024
I’m lucky. My boss is a CPA, so I can discuss it with her.
Great resource to have for sure!!
[Reply]
493rd 05:25 PM 03-13-2024
Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless:
going back to itemized deductions I guess!
Yup, assuming the Congress doesn’t get something done. We’ll see, we know how those clowns work!
[Reply]
UteChief 05:53 PM 03-13-2024
Yup, assuming the Congress doesn’t get something done. We’ll see, we know how those clowns work!
I’ll miss that standard deduction.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:06 PM 03-13-2024
I’ll miss that standard deduction.
I’ll trade you the standard deduction if I get to keep the tax brackets and rates.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:00 PM 03-13-2024
I was going to post this in the stock trading thread but it doesn't get as much action as this one.

I'm a skilled enough trader to know when to take a trade and when to get out. My problem at this point in life is a time crunch. Making time to scan and find setups is proving to be challenging. I just don't have the time to make this a consistent habit daily.

I am willing to pay for a service that sends me stock trading alerts but there are SO MANY out there, and tons of scams. Does anyone here actually use something they find valuable? I know we have a few day traders here and I was wondering if they would share some insights for me.
[Reply]
UteChief 09:20 PM 03-13-2024
Originally Posted by lewdog:
I was going to post this in the stock trading thread but it doesn't get as much action as this one.

I'm a skilled enough trader to know when to take a trade and when to get out. My problem at this point in life is a time crunch. Making time to scan and find setups is proving to be challenging. I just don't have the time to make this a consistent habit daily.

I am willing to pay for a service that sends me stock trading alerts but there are SO MANY out there, and tons of scams. Does anyone here actually use something they find valuable? I know we have a few day traders here and I was wondering if they would share some insights for me.
Are the alerts through your broker insufficient? Also, you could set up good til cancelled trades or there is an option to set up multiple trades on a ticket. It’s been a while so I don’t recall the name.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:34 PM 03-13-2024
Are the alerts through your broker insufficient? Also, you could set up good til cancelled trades or there is an option to set up multiple trades on a ticket. It’s been a while so I don’t recall the name.
Sorry, I might not have been clear.

I’m talking stock trading. Paying for someone to send me setups and trade ideas. I have no problem setting trades, it’s taking the time to find good day trades or swing trades. Plenty of services that will do this but there’s so many I don’t know which are real and useful.

I do plenty of basic and passive investing in other accounts, this is just for a trading account I’ve had for years.
[Reply]
UteChief 09:47 PM 03-13-2024
Sorry, I might not have been clear.

I’m talking stock trading. Paying for someone to send me setups and trade ideas. I have no problem setting trades, it’s taking the time to find good day trades or swing trades. Plenty of services that will do this but there’s so many I don’t know which are real and useful.

I do plenty of basic and passive investing in other accounts, this is just for a trading account I’ve had for years.
I wondered if Motley Fool is worth it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:50 PM 03-13-2024
I haven't used their paid services, but they put out free stock tips, and every single one of them that I experimented with completely tanked. I think their free service is more of a "do the opposite of this" resource, and I've seen a few indicators that their writers are inexperienced investors at best.

That said, a friend of mine has subscribed and says that their bulletin board forum has some savvy investors in it.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:54 PM 03-13-2024
They do long term investing I think. I’m looking for day trade and swing trade setups.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:32 AM 03-14-2024
They do long term investing I think. I’m looking for day trade and swing trade setups.
You're talking like a stock screener?

Like you need a report of X indicator does Y for ABC, Inc. ?

Or are you looking for screeners that will spit out ratios off financials? Companies with P/E X and debt:equity Y?
[Reply]
rydogg58 11:04 AM 03-14-2024
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
You're talking like a stock screener?

Like you need a report of X indicator does Y for ABC, Inc. ?

Or are you looking for screeners that will spit out ratios off financials? Companies with P/E X and debt:equity Y?
He's talking about groups that will do the screening for you. They'll usually send a text letting you know they like the setup of a certain stock, and watch for a particular entry point, and likely exit point.

I was in a few of them years ago, it was hit and miss, but if I remember right, I came out alright after the subscription fees. There's a lot of them out there, and some of them charge a lot. I've always wondered how profitable some of the more expensive ones were.
[Reply]
Page 928 of 934
« First < 428828878918924925926927928 929930931932 > Last »
Up