ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Messi to Miami???
petegz28 04:53 PM 06-07-2023
Lionel Messi chooses Inter Miami, MLS over Barca and Saudi Arabia
https://sports.yahoo.com/lionel-mess...ztDgQw9TNwxWDd

In a monumental move that could alter the course of Major League Soccer, Lionel Messi has decided to sign with Inter Miami.

After days of momentum and a years-long pursuit, MLS and Miami won a three-horse race with Barcelona and Saudi Arabia to sign the world's greatest player.

Messi announced the decision Wednesday in an interview with Mundo Deportivo, which confirmed earlier reports. No contract has yet been signed, and no details have been announced, but it is reportedly a complex 2.5-year deal with a total value well over $100 million.

"I made the decision that I'm going to go to Miami," Messi said in the interview. "I still haven't finalized [the contract] 100% ... But we decided to [take this path]."

In a statement, MLS said that "work remains to finalize a formal agreement," but it concluded: "we look forward to welcoming one of the greatest soccer players of all time to our league."
[Reply]
RunKC 07:43 AM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Ok, so he's number 3 at worst? You're acting like he's washed up and doesn't have it anymore.
He turns 36 in 2 weeks. Him and Ronaldo are entering their later years like LeBron. Still really good but not dominating like they were 5 years ago.
[Reply]
Skyy God 08:17 AM 06-08-2023
Barca had to clear like $65M in players to sign Messi.

Kinda surprised he didn’t take the bag from the Saudis.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 09:12 AM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
If Mahomes ever went slumming and played soccer, he would make people forget about this guy in his first season.
I'm assuming you're just playing a bit here, right?

While Mahomes IS a god......other sport skills are not quite as transferrable to soccer.

As someone who played baseball, basketball and competitive flag football into their late 40s....I can assure you that walking onto a soccer field (without decade(s) of learning/practice), you're NOT going to be a Messi (nor a Pulisic for that matter).

It's just different.

Now, if you say, Tyreek is going to train for 5-10 years dribbling, passing, shooting, ok....MAYBE a chance to make a MLS team....but again, different.

Though that said, I could see taller wide receivers becoming a goalie fairly quick (as long as they dont have to pass with their feet).
[Reply]
carlos3652 09:20 AM 06-08-2023
Dumb takes in here.

The only reason he went to PSG is because Barcelona was having financial issues with La Liga (which is the Premier of Spain for those that dont know). This allowed him to take a backseat to Mbappe on that team and prep for the WC. It wont surprise me that he is doing the same with the MLS... he can be great, AND keep fit without exerting himself. I do wonder if this allows him to try it one more time in the 2026 WC. This does give him and his body a chance.

Messi plays a completely different position than any of those players even mentioned. Cristiano / Haaland / Benzema / Mbappe are TRUE Strikers. Messi is a Midfielder that uses the RW to provide the Strikers the best possibilities AS well as scoring Goals.

In 2022-2023 in all competitions with Argentina and PSG he finished with 37 Goals and 25 Assists in 53 games. (62)

Haaland finished with 58 goals and 10 assists in 58 games. (68) (With Man City / Norway)
Mbappe finished with 51 goals and 11 assists in 55 games (62) (With PSG / France)

He is better than both of them, because he provides others the chance to finish, AND he finishes his opportunities that he creates himself. He makes everyone around him better.
[Reply]
KCJake 09:22 AM 06-08-2023
Can he play WR ?
[Reply]
carlos3652 09:28 AM 06-08-2023

Since turning 30 at the start of the 2017/18 season, Lionel Messi has been directly involved in more league goals than any other player in Europe's top five divisions.

◎ 196 games
◉ 147 goals
◉ 85 assists

Averaging a goal or assist once every 71.6 minutes. �� pic.twitter.com/tjAGiyNl4X

— Squawka (@Squawka) June 7, 2023

[Reply]
Mecca 09:31 AM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Youth soccer participation has never resulted in soccer becoming a mainstream spectator sport in America.

The soccer zealots should just accept that soccer will never be anything more than a niche spectator sport in this country… at best on par with hockey and the NHL.

Pele played professional soccer in America, Beckham played in the MLS… it never results into anything more than a novelty act/temporary spike in interest among general sports fans.
A lot of that is because the average sports viewer is like 60 years old. Soccer growing in popularity will have more to do with the next generations and what they watch, if they watch at all honestly.

Young people not really watching sports is a big reason baseball is having problems.
[Reply]
penguinz 09:35 AM 06-08-2023
Originally Posted by KCJake:
Can he play WR ?
Messi is tiny. He makes Mecole Hardman look big.
[Reply]
teedubya 03:46 PM 06-08-2023
I read the Saudis offered him like $300m a year or something insane.

That's a lot of fucking money. Go to Miami AFTER taking Saudi money. LOL
[Reply]
Monticore 05:10 AM 06-09-2023
Originally Posted by teedubya:
I read the Saudis offered him like $300m a year or something insane.

That's a lot of ****ing money. Go to Miami AFTER taking Saudi money. LOL
I heard a billion over 2 years , be hard to believe turn down no matter what yours cons list looks like.
[Reply]
Monticore 05:18 AM 06-09-2023
I think he is getting some cash from the MLS Apple partnership, not sure how much
[Reply]
carlos3652 07:43 AM 06-09-2023
Originally Posted by Monticore:
I think he is getting some cash from the MLS Apple partnership, not sure how much
He is also keeping some of the revenue from Jersey sales.

I’m sure in the end it will be a very lucrative deal that will be comparable to the Saudi offer plus no comparisons to Ronaldo (doing the same thing)

Dude doesn’t need any more money. He was the highest paid athlete for most of 2010’s and came in second behind Ronaldo this year.

https://www.si.com/.amp/extra-mustar...ear-per-forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brettkn...h=4cf40c5fb156

Dude wants legacy… and coming to the MLS will give him that. He is already loved in Asia and in the Middle East - and this is an untapped market. His valuation will soar.
[Reply]
carlos3652 07:50 AM 06-09-2023
Just insane the revenue he will bring:

https://en.as.com/soccer/all-inter-m...outputType=amp
[Reply]
petegz28 08:37 PM 07-21-2023
Dude corners a free kick in stoppage time to win in his debut with Miami.

He was spectacular the entire 2nd half. I didn't get to see the 1st half.
[Reply]
Hark Clunt 10:50 PM 07-21-2023
that was a funny game. cruz azul should have had like 6 or 7 goals. messi was incredible though.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up