ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Mars declared unsafe for humans to live as no one can survive for longer than 4 years
Hammock Parties 08:50 PM 06-03-2023
https://www.unilad.com/features/mira...26739-20230530

Originally Posted by :
For years, there's been talk of one day mankind living on Mars.

And in recent times, with the likes of Elon Musk seemingly on a one-man crusade to get there first, it looks like it might happen fairly soon.

But according to one of the most recent studies into the viability of human life on the Red Planet, it might not be as easy as you'd think.

Yep, research carried out by team at UCLA looked to answer two key questions - the first being around the impact of particle radiation and whether it would pose too grave a threat to human life.

The second was whether the timing of a mission to Mars could protect astronauts and the spacecraft from radiation?

To answer both questions, the scientists used geophysical models of particle radiation for a solar cycle and models of how radiation could affect both human passengers and a spacecraft.

Now, the good news is that the answers to their two questions were 'no' and 'yes', respectively.

According to the scientists' calculations, the spacecraft should provide enough protection during the round trip to and from Mars for the astronauts.

However, if the material the spacecraft is built with is too thick, then it could actually increase the amount of secondary radiation.

They also noted that this would largely be dependent on the timing of the mission as well.

Researchers claimed the best time to leave Earth would be when the solar activity is at its peak.

This is because during the 'solar maximum' the most dangerous particles are deflected, thus shielding the astronauts from the worst of it.

On the other hand, the bad news is that experts recommended humans should spend no longer than four years on any mission to the planet.

According to the study, which was published in the Advancing Earth and Science Journal, beyond this point, the levels of radiation become unsafe.

It reads: "Our calculations clearly demonstrate that the best time for launching a human space flight to Mars is during the solar maximum, as it is possible to shield from Solar Energetic Particles.

"Our simulations show that an increase in shielding creates an increase in secondary radiation produced by the most energetic GCR, which results in a higher dose, introducing a limit to a mission duration.

"We estimate that a potential mission to Mars should not exceed approximately four years.

"This study shows that space radiation imposes strict limitations and presents technological difficulties for the human mission to Mars, such a mission is still viable."

[Reply]
Rain Man 09:02 PM 06-03-2023
Four Mars years or four Earth years?
[Reply]
BWillie 09:10 PM 06-03-2023
Ive always thought the best way for us to live off of Earth is advanced space stations
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:13 PM 06-03-2023
I figured as much.
[Reply]
493rd 09:19 PM 06-03-2023
Sounds safer than Earth.
[Reply]
SAGA45 09:39 PM 06-03-2023
Create neo-sapiens capable of withstanding the radiation levels. Problem solved.
[Reply]
ping2000 09:45 PM 06-03-2023
Send all of the people we don't need on earth anymore. O.J. Simpson, the entire Kardashian family, Yoko Ono. There is a long list of candidates.
[Reply]
Otter 10:04 PM 06-03-2023
Originally Posted by :
On the other hand, the bad news is that experts recommended humans should spend no longer than four years on any mission to the planet.
Look at the intense infrastructure it takes to launch a ship into space here on earth. You go to mars anytime in the next 200 years you ain't coming back and there's no cell phone service let alone an uber to call if you change your mind.

It's a one way trip.

Oh, and have fun living in that tool shack.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:08 PM 06-03-2023
That’s 4 years longer than Venus
[Reply]
Bowser 10:26 PM 06-03-2023
So naturally I'm wondering what they've discovered on Mars that would want them to keep the rest of us away from it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:28 PM 06-03-2023
Originally Posted by Bowser:
So naturally I'm wondering what they've discovered on Mars that would want them to keep the rest of us away from it.
This can only mean that the radiation produces superpowers after five years of exposure.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:32 PM 06-03-2023
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
This can only mean that the radiation produces superpowers after five years of exposure.
I'm listening....
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:36 PM 06-03-2023
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I'm listening....
I think we need to go try it. What do you know about building a spaceship?
[Reply]
Bowser 10:58 PM 06-03-2023
Only that it helps if you have access to a crashed spaceship or if you have a stranded alien helping you out.

I'll go search Amazon to see if they have a text or manual available.
[Reply]
Eureka 12:27 AM 06-04-2023
Start here...

[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up