ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 57
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:22 PM 03-27-2017
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
I am curious about makes and models ...which are reliable and tough, which if the systems I'd like better the slip clutch or sheer pins....I guess , interested in opinions on forward turn versus reverse turn tines....

Best product for price. I know land pride are made in Kansas.
I don't have much info on brands. Take a look at the gear box and frame. I don't know if any of them have mounts for suitcase weights, but they might be helpful depending on soil type.

Make sure you pay attention to the the class of hitch then buy a quick coupler. It doesn't matter how much you think you don't need a quick coupler, buy a quick coupler.

Slip clutches will be better IMO. You'll hate it when you have to rebuild it, but it will hold down more power and be easier on your gearbox if it slips. Just make sure you loosen it after the season is over.

TYPICALLY (I've never run a 3 point model) the reverse spinning blades dig better but leave the seedbed rougher. Forward spinning won't dig much but the seedbed will be a dream. If you could get a reversing transmission that would be superior but I don't know if that's available. With my walk behind it works really well to go over in reverse then forward.

As far as priorities I'd go:
Gearbox
Hitch/Frame
Tines

Slip clutch

Features etc
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 07:10 AM 03-28-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I don't have much info on brands. Take a look at the gear box and frame. I don't know if any of them have mounts for suitcase weights, but they might be helpful depending on soil type.

Make sure you pay attention to the the class of hitch then buy a quick coupler. It doesn't matter how much you think you don't need a quick coupler, buy a quick coupler.

Slip clutches will be better IMO. You'll hate it when you have to rebuild it, but it will hold down more power and be easier on your gearbox if it slips. Just make sure you loosen it after the season is over.

TYPICALLY (I've never run a 3 point model) the reverse spinning blades dig better but leave the seedbed rougher. Forward spinning won't dig much but the seedbed will be a dream. If you could get a reversing transmission that would be superior but I don't know if that's available. With my walk behind it works really well to go over in reverse then forward.

As far as priorities I'd go:
Gearbox
Hitch/Frame
Tines

Slip clutch

Features etc

All excellent points. The cheap-o tillers will have small weak gearboxes made in China. Thats your KeenKutter or Countrymark or those sorts. Even the Deere is made with a China made gearbox.

I would expect all to have a slip clutch built into and part of the PTO Shaft but I may be wrong. They are a must have. Once you adjust it and burn it in a couple times its a charm

If you do have a quick attach 3point like the Deere iMatch, make sure the tiller is compatible. Not all are. Even with the imatch the best thing you will ever do is build a wooden frame with heavy duty casters to set it on when you unhook and store it. It weighs an ass ton and with the casters you back in roll it over lower the hitch and hook up. Otherwise nothing on this earth will make you cuss more than hooking u a 3 point and hooking up your PTO
[Reply]
wutamess 07:53 AM 03-28-2017
Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO:
I thought that's what it was. I agree with your mrs. darker would look better, especially with the color of the house.
Called him up yesterday. Coolest guy ever. He's going to put some solution to take up the sealer and was going to go over it with that color darker. I told him to use that color as a base and go over it with a completely darker color to give it a marble effect. He said he'll do it soon as it stops raining.

It should look nice when done.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:48 AM 03-28-2017
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
All excellent points. The cheap-o tillers will have small weak gearboxes made in China. Thats your KeenKutter or Countrymark or those sorts. Even the Deere is made with a China made gearbox.

I would expect all to have a slip clutch built into and part of the PTO Shaft but I may be wrong. They are a must have. Once you adjust it and burn it in a couple times its a charm

If you do have a quick attach 3point like the Deere iMatch, make sure the tiller is compatible. Not all are. Even with the imatch the best thing you will ever do is build a wooden frame with heavy duty casters to set it on when you unhook and store it. It weighs an ass ton and with the casters you back in roll it over lower the hitch and hook up. Otherwise nothing on this earth will make you cuss more than hooking u a 3 point and hooking up your PTO
RE: Quick connect: 3 points are categoy 1, 2, 3, 4. Here are the measurements.

http://www.tractordata.com/articles/...hreepoint.html

I don't run much of the little stuff, but you might be right about building a stand, but the big stuff works pretty good with a quick connect. The smaller stuff might well be more difficult.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:58 PM 03-28-2017

I don't run much of the little stuff, but you might be right about building a stand, but the big stuff works pretty good with a quick connect. The smaller stuff might well be more difficult.
Mine is cat 2

Ive runthe big stuff like you. But smaller is a pain inthe ass. If its not level and you are not agreatoperatoritsucks
[Reply]
Buzz 02:57 PM 04-01-2017
I had hit the sewer cover in the middle of the yard a few weeks ago and thought I had just bent a blade. Last night after work I put the new blades on and figured out I had a bent and broken the spindle.

So I was up and at it by 8:00 this morning, on the phone to see if I could find a replacement part and found one at a place called Lumax Power Equipment. Drove out to Belton and was back home by a little after 10 and had it fixed by 11:30.

It was a little cool this morning, wore a jacket and gloves but got the yard mowed and trimmed before we get the next round of rain tomorrow.

Attached: 20170331_183810.jpg (60.2 KB) 20170331_183912.jpg (137.6 KB) 
[Reply]
Iowanian 04:38 PM 04-01-2017
I pulled the trigger on a 6' king kutter. I know it's not top of the line but it should do what I need to do. I'll probably till some gardens, yards and rodeo arenas for cash
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 04:39 PM 04-01-2017

You live in the second flatest spot on the globe. Unhooking anything 3pt in Scott one has a 97.6% chance its damn near perfect level

Where I am we have 0% of level. Thus why I store the tiller on concrete under cover. I do agree, the iMatch hooking up the brush hog is pure tits compared to the old days
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:12 PM 04-01-2017
This one?

[Reply]
Buehler445 05:14 PM 04-01-2017
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
You live in the second flatest spot on the globe. Unhooking anything 3pt in Scott one has a 97.6% chance its damn near perfect level

Where I am we have 0% of level. Thus why I store the tiller on concrete under cover. I do agree, the iMatch hooking up the brush hog is pure tits compared to the old days
Eh. It's not as flat as you think. I have one field that slopes 75' in 1/4 mile. But yeah, on the whole you're right.
[Reply]
Miles 05:17 PM 04-01-2017
My first spring caring about a lawn and taking an interest trying to getting rid of the various not my grass things going on. Finding it oddly enjoyable.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:05 AM 04-02-2017
Yesterday's work. Need to finish the irrigation and plant today.

[Reply]
cabletech94 04-02-2017, 06:00 AM
This message has been deleted by cabletech94. Reason: can't resize photo
Fire Me Boy! 08:32 AM 04-02-2017
Planting today: 2 cherry tomatoes, 2 crimson sweet watermelon, 2 zucchini, 1 yellow squash, 3 okra, 1 jalapeņo, and 1 carmen sweet Italian pepper. Also some basil, oregano, parsley, and thyme.
[Reply]
jspchief 09:48 AM 04-02-2017
Patching some worn out high traffic areas and a low spot I filled in. I use a service for weed and feeding so I'm not sure how to keep them away from the area. I may just fence it off to keep the dog, kids, and pre emergent off for a few months
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 12:15 PM 04-02-2017
Donezo with the gardens, and with a couple quick mods, the irrigation works exactly as planned!

[Reply]
Page 8 of 57
« First < 45678 910111218 > Last »
Up