ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 54 of 57
« First < 4445051525354 555657 >
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
srvy 11:25 PM 05-27-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Had to cut down my Ash tree yesterday.

Fuck you, emerald ash borers.

Guess I'll put in a pin oak to get a decent, hardy, fast growing shade tree back there. I really liked that Ash tree, though. Crap on a stick.
I hate freaking Pin Oaks. If a branch breaks near the end of the limb the whole branch dies to the trunk. Then you are constantly picking up dead branches that blow down in a storm or any high wind. They also go through cycles of heavy acorns that those grey tree rats love. Fox Squirrels can't digest them if you have those Red squirrels kiss them goodbye. The greys breed like rabbits and Fox squirrels hate them and move on. Greys dig little holes in your lawn digging up the billions of pin oak nuts they will drop. Then any auto left out at night grays love to chew the insulation off wiring. Thats a nice bill to track down the electric short.
[Reply]
srvy 11:50 PM 05-27-2023
Northern Catalpa is a nice native Missouri tree that has big ass leaves and cool white blooms in spring. It is a bean tree so it produces long bean pods that look like green beans. They are a slight niusence to pick up when they drop. But not as bad as Ash with those helicopter seed pods.

Kentucky coffee is native and a cool tree too but drops bean pods. When the pods dry out good shake then and sounds like a rattlesnake.

Missouri Bald Cypress is another cool Missouri native tree that the conservation department pushes to be planted here in Mo. It is a deciduous conifer so the bows turn golden brown at fall drops cones and can be acidic to blue grass lawns.

[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:11 AM 05-28-2023
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Our climates and soil types are remarkably different, but I put in a shamrock linden and I was amazed at how Hardy it was and surprised by how quick it grew.

Might look into some form of Linden tree.
I have a couple of Linden trees. Those Japanese Beetles love them.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:19 AM 05-28-2023
Monterrey plumeria.
Attached: IMG_5151.jpg (80.8 KB) 
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:39 AM 05-28-2023
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Monterrey plumeria.
That looks great. I thought you couldn't grow them there?
[Reply]
lewdog 08:13 AM 05-28-2023
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
That looks great. I thought you couldn't grow them there?
Oh you can. Just takes a decent amount of work the first few years so the heat or winter doesn’t kill them. I have 6 in the ground now. They grow much slower here as growing season is only March to October.
[Reply]
Pablo 03:43 PM 05-28-2023
I just cleaned all the shit outta my backyard landscaping that has taken it over the last couple of years. That's not too exciting. Just a bunch of saplings and weeds and vines and whatever.

But I did plant some herbs and peppers and got some tomato plants growing so I'll check in here once they get rolling hopefully
[Reply]
BigOlChiefsfan 04:38 PM 05-28-2023
I've had really good luck with a gingko biloba I planted when I bought this place ~25 years ago (Shawnee, KS). Growing well, nothing seems to bother it. I like the shape of the leaves and their autumn color. With my memory problems, I probably ought to gather the leaves and make tea - supposed to be good for us.

The dwarf cherry I planted at the same time is sure 'nuff a dwarf, but it puts out lot of small cherries. I leave 'em for the neighbors to share with their kids, it seems to gather a lot of good will - since I turned diabetic after I planted the tree, the cherry pies I was hoping for are moot. This way I'm a nice old guy. Eh, just don't touch my good whiskey, kids.
[Reply]
lewdog 07:15 AM 06-05-2023
Mango in Phoenix.
Attached: IMG_5190.jpeg (156.5 KB) 
[Reply]
lewdog 08:28 PM 06-08-2023
Guava in December of 2020

Guava in June of 2023. 12 feet tall, tons of little white flowers which means first year fruiting!

[Reply]
HonestChieffan 05:15 AM 06-09-2023
Originally Posted by srvy:
I hate freaking Pin Oaks. If a branch breaks near the end of the limb the whole branch dies to the trunk. Then you are constantly picking up dead branches that blow down in a storm or any high wind. They also go through cycles of heavy acorns that those grey tree rats love. Fox Squirrels can't digest them if you have those Red squirrels kiss them goodbye. The greys breed like rabbits and Fox squirrels hate them and move on. Greys dig little holes in your lawn digging up the billions of pin oak nuts they will drop. Then any auto left out at night grays love to chew the insulation off wiring. Thats a nice bill to track down the electric short.
100% correct.
[Reply]
tooge 10:03 PM 06-09-2023
My veggie/fruit garden is the best its been ever. I decided to drill post holes and fence it off this year. Carrots, beets, radishes arent getting destroyed by rabbits and maters look great. Also have taters, okra, green been, snap peas, onions blueberries(sorta) and lots of blcack berries
[Reply]
Stryker 10:16 PM 06-09-2023
Need to get off my ass and tend to my lawn tomorrow.
[Reply]
In58men 04:20 PM 06-10-2023
Finally got the concrete along the side of my house done. No more fucking weeds!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
[Reply]
lewdog 08:51 PM 07-03-2023
This has been a few years in the making. Nothing short of spectacular for me to see. Monterrey plumeria. Now for the heat to destroy the blooms.........

[Reply]
Page 54 of 57
« First < 4445051525354 555657 >
Up