ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 14
1 234511 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>I am not a fan of Veach's "tier" approach.
Direckshun 09:02 AM 05-02-2021
The idea that he has players in layered tiers is not new, of course.

But here's the problem with it: in any tier you care to look at, the most valuable positions get drafted first, because of course they should. Quarterback, tackle, wide receiver, passrusher.

The last players to be chosen in any tier are going to be the lowest value players.

Running back. Linebacker. Interior offensive line.

And here we are. That's been the Chiefs last four picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft.

It's just not a great approach when you're always at the end of the round, which the Chiefs always will be under Reid and Mahomes. You need to be able to be more flexible.

The Chiefs selected a linebacker (which we do desperately need) and a center (which we kinda needed) when there were really good players in a lower tier still on the board.

How much better is Humphrey going to be than Blythe? Really?

Because remember that when we struggle to get a passrush in December, January, and February. Remember that in the Super Bowl when the Bucs run out the exact same coverage that blanketed us the first time and we still don't have a WR2 that can break free of 1 on 1 coverage. Remember that when, god forbid, one of our corners go down with injury in week 7 and we have to watch Rashad Fenton get raked for 8 weeks.

That being said, the Chiefs did get better this weekend. They just could have gotten a lot better this weekend, with how sexy the board looked when they were up to pick.

Pick by pick reviews.

LB Nick Bolton, Missouri -- The Chiefs probably have the best linebacking corps now that they've had in a decade. Hitchens finally seems to understand the system, Gay looked really solid all year and came on until his injury, and Bolton's going to be really good. He's a smart player with limited athleticism, so really a perfect Spags linebacker. But he may be a two-down player, and I see a lot of Kawika Mitchell in him -- neither of those are deserving of the 2nd round pick we spent. C-

C Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma -- I think Humphrey has Pro Bowl upside, and honestly the Chiefs track record on 2nd round centers is stellar with Mitch Morse and Rodney Hudson. I think he's going to be a starter here for 10 years. I'd had preferred other players, but this was a good get. A-

DE Joshua Kaindoh, Florida State -- I really don't like this pick, and only talked myself into it the day of the draft because we are so desperate at the position. Kaindoh has every bit of the size you need, but he just has no feel for the game. This is a Demetrius-Harris-sized project. Harris turned out to be pretty good, but it took us four years to get there. Kaindoh may yield the same returns at a different position. D+

TE Noah Gray, Duke -- I really hope the loss of Anthony Sherman didn't mess with our heads badly enough to take this guy, as the team later was communicating he could be a flex fullback. It's hard for me to get too worked up about Gray, however, one way or the other. I think he's fine, but a poor fit, but the 5th round on was just garbage in terms of options. C+

WR Cornell Powell, Clemson -- The questions with Powell entirely will be between the ears. He is already physically maxed out and is pretty great with the ball in his hands. I imagine he will peak out in a couple seaons as a WR3 in our offense, but if the Chiefs continue to fail to find a really good WR2, he could ascend to a shrug-WR2, someone to play the position non-pathetically until we find the next Sammy Watkins. I think his ceiling is Chris Conley, which is nothing to write home about, but that's a really great get in a draft this garbage. B+

OG Tre Smith, Tennessee -- Home run. No question. This is why you don't burn $80m on a guard, or draft one in the 2nd round. Dorsey made his living finding really good guards late in the draft, and Veach has finally done it himself. Smith will not crack the lineup this year, but he's going to be our starting RG in 2022 -- bank on it. I have no idea how Veach landed this, when it was late in the 6th round and teams were just taking long snappers because there was no talent left on the board. A+
[Reply]
staylor26 09:09 AM 05-02-2021
BuT PoSiTiOnAl VaLuE!

You’re a fucking idiot. The Chiefs had a fantastic draft. The end.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:14 AM 05-02-2021
Did you seriously compare Nick Bolton to Kawika fucking Mitchell?

:-)
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:16 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
BuT PoSiTiOnAl VaLuE!

You’re a ****ing idiot. The Chiefs had a fantastic draft. The end.
Well you got me there.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:16 AM 05-02-2021
Your problem? You listen to the AP Nerd Squad and give them too much credit on what they know.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:18 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Your problem? You listen to the AP Nerd Squad and give them too much credit on what they know.
I give them credit, I do. But I disagree with them on this draft.

They’re sold as hell on the third day of the draft. They were not happy with the Humphrey pick.

I differ from them on those scores.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:18 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Well you got me there.
Your entire argument is based on the same shit the Arrowhead Pride guys bitch about. Positional value outside of the top 15-20 picks is pretty much fucking irrelevant. You don’t draft positions. You draft players.
[Reply]
O.city 09:19 AM 05-02-2021
I don’t think he’s necessarily wrong in some parts of that post, but as with the draft and a roster like KCs, like it or not, it’s not all about this year.

The draft is a multipurpose exercise. Add talent and fill some needs for sure, but also looking forward financially plays a part. The chiefs need a long term center and they got a great one.

I’m not a Bolton fan but that seems to be a “we didn’t think this guy would fall this far he’s bpa” pick.

The rest is fine or about what you’d expect.

I would have liked to see a wr or de sure, but the value needed to match up. It didn’t seem to and in the end, you have andy Reid to coach up wrs. I think DE is a spot you’re gonna have to take pretty early next year so patch it up and go from there
[Reply]
staylor26 09:22 AM 05-02-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I don’t think he’s necessarily wrong in some parts of that post, but as with the draft and a roster like KCs, like it or not, it’s not all about this year.

The draft is a multipurpose exercise. Add talent and fill some needs for sure, but also looking forward financially plays a part. The chiefs need a long term center and they got a great one.

I’m not a Bolton fan but that seems to be a “we didn’t think this guy would fall this far he’s bpa” pick.

The rest is fine or about what you’d expect.

I would have liked to see a wr or de sure, but the value needed to match up. It didn’t seem to and in the end, you have andy Reid to coach up wrs. I think DE is a spot you’re gonna have to take pretty early next year so patch it up and go from there

Originally Posted by O.city:
If Bolton is there, I'd take him. He's a stud.

I really like Humphrey and Davis the more I've read about them.
So he was a “stud” that you’d take at 31 at one point, but the Chiefs got him at 58 and now you aren’t a “fan”?

[Reply]
Direckshun 09:24 AM 05-02-2021
Your entire argument is based on the same shit the Arrowhead Pride guys bitch about. Positional value outside of the top 15-20 picks is pretty much ****ing irrelevant. You don’t draft positions. You draft players.
Positional value is not made up by the Arrowhead Pride guys.

It is harder to find a starting DE than it is to find a starting center, or linebacker.

Players with very good skill sets at those positions were sitting there when we opted for low hanging linebacker fruit.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:24 AM 05-02-2021
I was meh on the Bolton and Kaindoh picks the day of the draft but even I can see why they were taken. Hitchens is gone after this year now and I’m happy that he will be. Kaindoh is much better against the run and I think he has some upside in zone coverage.

Kaindoh is all about measurables and if Daly can unlock the potential. We all freaked out when they took Danna and he wasn’t dog shit at least. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to an athletic freak at DE.

I would have liked to have seen Marshall or Basham at 58 but Marshall’s medicals obviously were a factor and Basham, I think, was an afterthought after the Reed signing. They want a DE...not a DE that they have to move inside on pass rush downs. We already have three pass rushing DTs now.

You can bet that DE is the first round pick next year for sure.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:26 AM 05-02-2021

It is harder to find a starting DE than it is to find a starting center, or linebacker.

Players with very good skill sets at those positions were sitting there when we opted for low hanging linebacker fruit.
I totally understand the positional argument when you’re talking about the top 15-20 picks.

Outside of that, if it’s at the top of your priority list and the determining factor, you’re overthinking it.

Also, I assume you’re talking about Terrace Marshall for example. He clearly had medical concerns that the Chiefs and other teams weren’t comfortable with that early, should the Chiefs have taken him anyway because he’s a fucking WR? That’s just dumb.

Yes, LB and C aren’t the most valuable positions, but Humphrey and Bolton were considered late 1st to early 2nd rounders going all the way back to last year. At 58 and 63, that’s VALUE.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:26 AM 05-02-2021

So you want them to move this guys down because positional value and miss out on them for lower tiered players of higher positional value?
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:28 AM 05-02-2021
I actually think Danna will be a good rotational DE. Same with Taco. And, by Year 2, I feel the same about Kaindoh.

But we need a starter. We do not have a DE2, and we passed on several plum candidates to take Bolton and Humphrey.

At least Humphrey is going to make a Pro Bowl. Bolton’s going to be fine.
[Reply]
O.city 09:28 AM 05-02-2021

So he was a “stud” that you’d take at 31 at one point, but the Chiefs got him at 58 and now you aren’t a “fan”?

That was pretty early in the draft process. He’s a good player, I’m just not a fan of back to back lber in the 2nd with what was on the board but they had him rated high, and when that falls that way you take them.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 14
1 234511 > Last »
Up