« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Trey Smith Thread*****
Dante84 03:34 PM 05-01-2021
More to come!

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:13 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I think LDT has the bigger uphill battle in terms of physical skills.

It's going to come down to whether or not they understand the play calls and assignments. I just think the gap between Remmers and Niang is smaller at this point but that could definitely change as they get more reps in camp..
LDT when he was healthy was a pretty good player; remember, they gave him a pretty big contract. The problem was, he wasn't all that healthy very often afterwards.

I think the gap between Remmers and Niang is approximately 8 inches. That's the difference between Remmers 30.25" arms and Niang's 34.25" arms. :-)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:15 AM 06-17-2021
I mean, 30.25" arms? Really? HOLY SHIT.

My girlfriend is 5'1". She might have 30" arms.

I'm a college drop-out flunkie guitar player, and I've got 34" arms.

Remmers is a fucking T-Rex.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:16 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
LDT when he was healthy was a pretty good player; remember, they gave him a pretty big contract. The problem was, he wasn't all that healthy very often afterwards.

I think the gap between Remmers and Niang is approximately 8 inches. That's the difference between Remmers 30.25" arms and Niang's 34.25" arms. :-)
The arm length thing matters long-term but to start this season, I don't think it matters at all. They're going to put the best guy on the field and I still think that could be Remmers, at least in their eyes.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:17 AM 06-17-2021
I mean, 30.25" arms? Really? HOLY SHIT.

My girlfriend is 5'1". She might have 30" arms.

I'm a college drop-out flunkie guitar player, and I've got 34" arms.

Remmers is a fucking T-Rex.
And that's a concern when you're grading out the long-term potential of a young player.

It absolutely doesn't matter at all when you're talking about a guy that's a spot starter / depth player.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:20 AM 06-17-2021
The arm length thing matters long-term but to start this season, I don't think it matters at all. They're going to put the best guy on the field and I still think that could be Remmers, at least in their eyes.
agree to disagree, but I just don't think there's any way at all Remmers is better than Niang. Niang has faced NFL level pass rushers and did well in college, is prototypical OT size with above average mobility. It's just a whole different animal, and it appears he's been training and learning his entire red-shirt year.

Just a whole different class of athlete.
[Reply]
O.city 09:22 AM 06-17-2021
We've seen Remmers play adequately at RT to even play well there. Based on the pictures from Minicamp, it's Remmers at RT and Niang is the 2nd LT.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:24 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
We've seen Remmers play adequately at RT to even play well there. Based on the pictures from Minicamp, it's Remmers at RT and Niang is the 2nd LT.
Niang has been playing both RT and LT with the 2nd team.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:26 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Niang has been playing both RT and LT with the 2nd team.
which just means they're not handing him a starting spot. Any back-up OT should be prepared to be the swing tackle. And we already know Remmers has done that in the past.

Obviously not so good at LT.

It's June. The younguns are obviously going to be behind on their playbook and responsibilities compared to the vets.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:28 AM 06-17-2021
agree to disagree, but I just don't think there's any way at all Remmers is better than Niang. Niang has faced NFL level pass rushers and did well in college, is prototypical OT size with above average mobility. It's just a whole different animal, and it appears he's been training and learning his entire red-shirt year.

Just a whole different class of athlete.
And if he lines up and has no clue who to block at any given time, he won't start, regardless of how much of a specimen he is.

It all comes down to the mental game and I could totally see why the Chiefs would give the edge to a guy that played in 13 games last year.

Quite frankly, that's the sole reason I believe LDT will start over Smith. Because his experience is going to close the athletic gap very quickly.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:36 AM 06-17-2021
which just means they're not handing him a starting spot. Any back-up OT should be prepared to be the swing tackle. And we already know Remmers has done that in the past.

Obviously not so good at LT.

It's June. The younguns are obviously going to be behind on their playbook and responsibilities compared to the vets.
Niang shouldnt be behind on his playbook. He’s had it almost an entire season.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:42 AM 06-17-2021
And if he lines up and has no clue who to block at any given time, he won't start, regardless of how much of a specimen he is.

It all comes down to the mental game and I could totally see why the Chiefs would give the edge to a guy that played in 13 games last year.

Quite frankly, that's the sole reason I believe LDT will start over Smith. Because his experience is going to close the athletic gap very quickly.
I think not knowing who to block is much more an issue for an OG than it is an OT generally speaking. At OT it's more an issue of being physically beaten. Just my opinion.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:44 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Niang shouldnt be behind on his playbook. He’s had it almost an entire season.
sure, but the finer points, and adjustments and stuff they won't really know until they see it. What if this guy does that instead of this, now what's your adjustment, etc.

But in Niang's case, yeah, I'm fully expecting him to take that RT job.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:47 AM 06-17-2021
hey you know, I could be wrong about Niang.

It's been a nutso offseason, and I've been wrong several times-and so have all of you honestly-nobody thought Veach would go full Leroy Jenkins and just blow it all up like that.

But I don't think I am. We'll see.
[Reply]
tredadda 10:30 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I hope Remmers doesn't make this team. Y'all can sit around talking about how he was "pretty decent on the right side," but the dude got his shit pushed in during the super bowl, and it was embarrassing. No, I don't think moving him from left to right takes him from wet fart to starting caliber player. I think he sucks. He sucked in Carolina (playing right tackle) and he sucked for us. Of course, part of this is emotional for me.

And I don't think the staff agrees with me. I can easily see him or Wylie as the starting right tackle in week one, and I'm... okay... with that. But by the end of the year, it better be the new guys across the entire line, and I think it will be.

Look at it this way - there's no continuity at all unless you start Wylie and Remmers at RG and RT. Otherwise, there is literally no lineup where two guys played next to each other last year, so what difference does it make? Put the most talent in that you can, and I expect that to happen sooner than later.
So you don't want him on the team even though he did well on the right side because he didn't do well on the left side? Interesting logic there.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:41 AM 06-17-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
So you don't want him on the team even though he did well on the right side because he didn't do well on the left side? Interesting logic there.
Yea that’s an awful take to say the least.
[Reply]
Page 25 of 52
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Up