ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 500 of 3903
« First < 400450490496497498499500 50150250350451055060010001500 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Fat Elvis 09:25 PM 03-19-2020
Not great news, but better than even worse news....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/probabili...214300326.html

Death rate seems to be a bit lower than originally estimated.....
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:28 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by ShowtimeSBMVP:
I’d flee to Nevada/Oregon/Arizona now if was a Californian.

The California governor just put his entire state on virtual house arrest... unreal.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:31 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
That's cute.

California just shut their entire !@#$ing state down when many of their counties have precisely zero cases.

Nobody is going to be anything remotely resembling rational about any of this.
The Governor really doesn't have a choice. Too many people like you out there who continue to downplay the threat this virus has and think this will just magically disappear.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:31 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:

The KEY language there isn't 1.4%

It's 1.4% "after developing symptoms" - a phraseology that they use several times in that article.

If the CFR of symptomatic patients is 1.4% and the belief is that there could be 1/2 or more of people who come down with this and don't show outward symptoms...that could drive the overall CFR down significantly.
[Reply]
O.city 09:32 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:

We’re finding there’s so many cases of mild to no symptoms, these numbers are kinda getting hollow to me. I’m no epidemiologist or data guy but it seems this is all coming from unknown data sets.

Basically there may be a huge number of people out there who’ve been exposed, weren’t tested and are now immune. Of course you’d need serology tests to check for antibodies.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:33 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
The Governor really doesn't have a choice. Too many people like you out there who continue to downplay the threat this virus has and think this will just magically disappear.
Look - if you could just fuck right off, I'd appreciate it.

If what you've taken away from what I've said in this thread is that I'm just some ass who's whistling past the graveyard - like I said, kindly fuck right off and put me on ignore.

You're clearly not reading a damn thing I've said anyway and have already admitted as such.
[Reply]
O.city 09:34 PM 03-19-2020
It’s not that anyone isn’t taking it seriously. It’s jumping to huge measures when you don’t have enough data.

I’m starting to really worry that we’ve went full shotgun approach when a BB gun would have worked
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:35 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
It’s not that anyone isn’t taking it seriously. It’s jumping to huge measures when you don’t have enough data.

I’m starting to really worry that we’ve went full shotgun approach when a BB gun would have worked
Which countries did that work in?
[Reply]
Fish 09:37 PM 03-19-2020
Supercomputer SUMMIT is now being used to analyze best chemical approaches. We really are going to science this bitch, it's just going to take a little time...

Repurposing Therapeutics for COVID-19: Supercomputer-Based Docking to the SARS-CoV-2 Viral Spike Protein and Viral Spike Protein-Human ACE2 Interface

The novel Wuhan coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) has been sequenced, and the virus shares substantial similarity with SARS-CoV. Here, using a computational model of the spike protein (S-protein) of SARS-CoV-2 interacting with the human ACE2 receptor, we make use of the world's most powerful supercomputer, SUMMIT, to enact an ensemble docking virtual high-throughput screening campaign and identify small-molecules which bind to either the isolated Viral S-protein at its host receptor region or to the S protein-human ACE2 interface. We hypothesize the identified small-molecules may be repurposed to limit viral recognition of host cells and/or disrupt host-virus interactions. A ranked list of compounds is given that can be tested experimentally.
[Reply]
O.city 09:38 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Which countries did that work in?
I’m not saying do nothing. I think we’re actually doing what we have to do for the most part.

But everyone keeps expecting these other countries to be Italy. And maybe we end up there, but maybe it’s an outlier due to factors we don’t know ?
[Reply]
O.city 09:42 PM 03-19-2020
The whole test test test thing works, but you actually need to test everyone. Otherwise you’re just sampling from the sick with symptoms so that’s gonna skew your numbers

Or am I way off on this ?
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 09:42 PM 03-19-2020
California had 10,000+ cases and nearly 700 deaths during the 2009-2010 H1N1 pandemic (which originated in the state, in San Diego)... and yet the state’s citizens were not put on virtual house arrest.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:45 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I’m not saying do nothing. I think we’re actually doing what we have to do for the most part.

But everyone keeps expecting these other countries to be Italy. And maybe we end up there, but maybe it’s an outlier due to factors we don’t know ?
I think we put too much stock into just the death rate numbers but the biggest focus should be limiting the virus so our entire healthcare system doesn't collapse.

We knew the economy would take a shit after rona hit China hard. Best strategy is to be overly cautious instead of not cautious enough. Anyone who doesnt think the economy wont rebound once we figure out where this is going in the US, combined with alot of workers going back to work, countries re-opening their borders, and Asia opening back up for business the economy will come roaring back.

For now we must do everything we can to get ahead of this. Lockdowns work, give it a few weeks there will be more testing kits and hospital equipment we'll be that much closer to finding medication that can help fight this plus warmer temps and hopefully some folks building an immunity to the virus.
[Reply]
O.city 09:46 PM 03-19-2020
There’s some stuff out there now that 20 to 30 percent of those infected show no symptoms. Well, shit, that’s a pretty frickin large set of numbers that change things quite a bit no?

So you have that many that don’t get tested, the. You have the mild symptoms that don’t get tested.

That’s gonna change the math here
[Reply]
O.city 09:48 PM 03-19-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
I think we put too much stock into just the death rate numbers but the biggest focus should be limiting the virus so our entire healthcare system doesn't collapse.

We knew the economy would take a shit after rona hit China hard. Best strategy is to be overly cautious instead of not cautious enough. Anyone who doesnt think the economy wont rebound once we figure out where this is going in the US, combined with alot of workers going back to work, countries re-opening their borders, and Asia opening back up for business the economy will come roaring back.

For now we must do everything we can to get ahead of this. Lockdowns work, give it a few weeks there will be more testing kits and hospital equipment we'll be that much closer to finding medication that can help fight this plus warmer temps and hopefully some folks building an immunity to the virus.
I agree. I hope atleast
[Reply]
Page 500 of 3903
« First < 400450490496497498499500 50150250350451055060010001500 > Last »
Up