ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 33 of 70
« First < 232930313233 3435363743 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
RealSNR 05:25 PM 06-18-2021
Is it just me or can the mirror universe go fuck itself?

Look, it's cool. It's the plot of many great episodes. Obviously the original series is great. DS9 did some neat things with it, but they definitely fucked up a good thing by the very end. Enterprise had a great two-parter. And after that, every time I see it, I brace for some lukewarm-ass Alex Kurtzman Star Trek.

The problem is you just can't rely on it for a 3+ episode arc. It gets too campy. All the episodes and shit they do starts to bleed together. You keep trying to push the envelope with it because you can get away with lots of shit, but by that point the writing just feels lazy.
[Reply]
RealSNR 05:32 PM 06-18-2021
The other gripe I have with the show is that Picard just has zero command presence. I know he's not a ship's captain anymore, but for fuck's sake, let him pontificate about something. Or stare down an enemy through a view screen. Or make a bold call. Those are all things old man Picard can do. If you want to highlight his age and how he's lost a step, go ahead and have him do it slowly. Or have him fuck up.

This show is just a completely unrealistic portrayal of the Picard from the shows and even the movies. I suspect it's because they got Patrick Stewart in the writing room, and he clamored for some kind of deep, space Jesusy character that is put in situations for him to explore rich emotions or some shit. That's not Picard the character, or at least it's not why people liked Picard the character.

Is it too late for them to make Michael Dorn's Captain Worf show? Or would Kurtzman fuck that up, too?
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 05:35 PM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Is it just me or can the mirror universe go fuck itself?

Look, it's cool. It's the plot of many great episodes. Obviously the original series is great. DS9 did some neat things with it, but they definitely fucked up a good thing by the very end. Enterprise had a great two-parter. And after that, every time I see it, I brace for some lukewarm-ass Alex Kurtzman Star Trek.

The problem is you just can't rely on it for a 3+ episode arc. It gets too campy. All the episodes and shit they do starts to bleed together. You keep trying to push the envelope with it because you can get away with lots of shit, but by that point the writing just feels lazy.
I have always hated the Mirror Universe. Hated it in every iteration of Trek it has been brought out in. It kinda worked in TOS but I disliked it then too.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:10 PM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
I have always hated the Mirror Universe. Hated it in every iteration of Trek it has been brought out in. It kinda worked in TOS but I disliked it then too.
Oh come on, evil Kira was fucking awesome.
[Reply]
Mennonite 06:51 PM 06-18-2021
Mirror,Mirror is a classic. I liked the first DS9 mirror universe episode "Crossover" but they went south after that. They were increasingly campy and dumb and they just kept going back to them. DS9 was a great show but this was one of its weakest aspects. I actually thought ENT's Through a Mirror Darkly was pretty decent outside of a dodgy CGI Gorn and some hammy acting by Bakula.

[Reply]
Jamie 07:02 PM 06-18-2021
I don't think Picard is going to use the Mirror Universe anyway. The first trailer implied (or at least seemed to imply) it would be a time travel plot.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:06 PM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
Mirror,Mirror is a classic. I liked the first DS9 mirror universe episode "Crossover" but they went south after that. They were increasingly campy and dumb and they just kept going back to them. DS9 was a great show but this was one of its weakest aspects. I actually thought ENT's Through a Mirror Darkly was pretty decent outside of a dodgy CGI Gorn and some hammy acting by Bakula.
I've never really liked Bakula in anything. That Enterprise two-parter was pretty good, though. The Constitution-class Defiant laying waste to everything was awesome.
[Reply]
Mennonite 07:10 PM 06-18-2021
I like Scott Bakula. He has an innate likability. However, I don't think he has a commanding voice which makes it hard to play certain characters. His weakest moments are when he has to be a be a be authoritative or intimidating. Overall, I think his acting ability is on par with all of the other Trek captains outside of Patrick Stewart.

Oddly enough, I think Bakula would have been great as Trip. You would need to drop the pointless southern accent, of course. Bakula as Trip with Keith Carradine playing A.G. Robinson as the Captain, maybe? I don't know.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:14 PM 06-18-2021
Heh. If you like bad fake southern accents, try watching him in NCIS New Orleans. Yeesh.

And as far as his acting goes, IMO he's as wooden as Pinocchio.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:49 PM 06-18-2021
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
It's pretty kitschy.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:12 AM 06-19-2021
One of the things I like best about Mirror, Mirror is that it is probably the best "ensemble" episode of TOS. Most episodes tend to center around the big three of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, but in this episode everyone gets something to do.

Oh, and it has Barbara Luna too:

[Reply]
Mennonite 10:36 AM 06-21-2021
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I'm still watching Enterprise and I've hit some cheesy weak episodes that remind me that this is an old TV show

So, did you ever finish up ENT?

[Reply]
listopencil 12:01 AM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
So, did you ever finish up ENT?

I am still dragging it out as slowly as I can. Savoring it. I need it to last until the new Pike series comes out. I can't allow myself to be tempted to give Star Trek: Dicksuckery another chance.
[Reply]
unlurking 07:45 AM 09-11-2021

[Reply]
unlurking 07:46 AM 09-11-2021

[Reply]
Page 33 of 70
« First < 232930313233 3435363743 > Last »
Up