ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Nzoner's Game Room>Rust on pre-owned vehicle
Jenson71 07:33 PM 06-21-2021
I understand very little about vehicles or other things with a motor. I found a good pre-owned vehicle from 2013 for the right price and it checks every necessary box. However, an acquaintance of mine holds the opinion that I should pass on the vehicle because of some rust on the inside lower frame of the driver's door. It's unnoticeable from the outside. But the acquaintance says that in a year from now, the rust will spread and the vehicle will look like trash.

The rust is not a tiny spot on the frame, but rather kind of spread out on that door.

I don't care about the rust as it is, so if I can do some work to maintain it rather than fix it, I'm good with that.

Should this be a deal-breaker?
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 06:58 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
It looks like it's tearing ass and it ain't even moving.
Now THAT’S what I call a unicorn.
[Reply]
Peter Gibbons 07:20 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
It looks like it's tearing ass and it ain't even moving.
That’s what she said.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:11 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
HEY Calm your tits in the Chevy hate. They have some not bad vehicles on the roads. I’d put the reliability of the pickups I’ve owned against anything. Very few people abuse them to the degree I have.

In reality, Bugs bought the Trail. boxer after I sung their praises. I’m just hoping it holds together for him so he doesn’t murder my family. :-)
Love me some Duramax!
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 08:12 PM 06-23-2021
Originally Posted by burt:
Per Stevie Ray's request, she now has tinted windows!
This will be at the CP gathering... Right!
[Reply]
Lzen 08:09 AM 06-24-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
:-)

I'm not one to have issues a time or two and apply it to all things that company makes ever.... but, my Monte Carlo needing a new transmission at 80k miles was pretty bad (and had another Chevy prior with issues, but it was older).

I haven't sworn them off, but they're in timeout.
I had issues with them. Then, I had a 98 Transport van that turned out the coolant, Dexcool, was a big issue. Had to have that motor rebuilt. Later, there was a class action lawsuit about that. At that point, I wrote off GM.
[Reply]
burt 09:39 AM 06-24-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
The blue flame is quite intimidating. And where did you get that Mahomes sticker?
SO made it on her Cricut. She is fairly creative.
[Reply]
burt 09:43 AM 06-24-2021
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I had issues with them. Then, I had a 98 Transport van that turned out the coolant, Dexcool, was a big issue. Had to have that motor rebuilt. Later, there was a class action lawsuit about that. At that point, I wrote off GM.
I seriously doubt there is an large automotive manufacturer that HASN'T had a class action lawsuit filed against them.

I know Ford, CDJ, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia and Honda all have. So....what do you drive?
[Reply]
banyon 11:45 AM 06-24-2021
This could be surface rust or it has penetrated too far into the metal. If its a 2013 Chrysler, (need more info for a good price, like model and mileage), but I am guessing you are not paying top dollar for it.

As you aren't too confident in your own skills, it's best to ask the dealership (man I hate going to dealerships) if they are willing to let you take the vehicle to a mechanic of your choice to inspect. A good independent shop will charge like 50-100$ to do this service and it is well worth the price.

Lots of cars north of KC that get snow and salt on the roads are going to have some rust on the undercarriage its just a fact of life. This sounds dumb, but I would want to get under there with a metal hammer and beat on it a bit to see if anything gives or flakes off. Maybe a file or pick too. If it is surface only and you get $1500 knocked off, might be a decent deal, would have to know more. With surface rust, you can take a metal wire wheel/brush and scrape off as much as you can. Then hit it with a rust reformer product. Then paint to seal. there could be some residual, but it will likely slow any spread enough that you get your $ worth out of the car.
[Reply]
Bugeater 03:03 PM 06-25-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
:-)

I'm not one to have issues a time or two and apply it to all things that company makes ever.... but, my Monte Carlo needing a new transmission at 80k miles was pretty bad (and had another Chevy prior with issues, but it was older).

I haven't sworn them off, but they're in timeout.
I have two of them now. Broke my streak of Chrysler products at 9.

[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up