ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Anyone else over the Georgia prospects ballwashing by the media?
RunKC 10:28 AM 05-10-2023
I really don’t get it. These guys are put on a pedestal by the media bc their college team was good, but their prospects have not lived up to the hype. You’d think these guys are Bama draft picks. And it’s mainly the defensive line and front 7 overall guys.

Travon Walker got all this buzz and went over Hutchinson. Dude had one solid year but Hutchinson was an animal that could not be blocked. It made no sense to go over him. Low and behold, Hutchinson looked like the much better pro player as a rookie while Travon Walker couldn’t get much going. He even got stonewalled by Jerrick McKinnon.

Jordan Davis is pretty much a big NT that can’t rush the passer well enough. 1-2 sacks a year on that DL with talent everywhere with that athleticism? He played in 13 games on a stacked Philly DL and had no sacks, 1 TFL and no QB hits. Yikes

DeVonte Wyatt struggled badly. No need to pull his stats up. Packers fans weren’t pleased.

I guess Quay Walker looked pretty decent for a LB, but he made the most reeruned decision of the season with his antics pushing a trainer. Literally wtf.

Jalen Carter had a season high of 3 sacks on this dominant DL and Nolan Smith had 4.5 as the career high on the same “insane DL”.

It seems to me like these guys get pumped up more than anyone bc they blow up the combine. Especially the DL. I don’t get it. I really don’t.

Like okay Nolan Smith ran a 4.4 at 230 lbs soaking wet. He fell to the end of the first rd for a reason. But the Eagles are amazing for drafting him bc he ran fast? Wut.

Call me a homer, but I would rather have FAU after seeing him get 89 pressures and 19.5 sacks in 2 years as a 19/20 year old playing on a DL that wasn’t stacked and rushed 3 a ton.

Idk maybe this is how the league feels about us since we’re on top, but man I’m getting some Georgia fatigue from the media ballwashing these guys, especially their defensive prospects.
[Reply]
JPH83 10:52 AM 05-10-2023
Walker was maybe overrated but he and Davis have only had a year. I reckon both could come good, and I'm not sure Davis was ever billed as a big rusher. Wyatt started to come on a bit and flashed, but yes we might have seen more.

Carter looks like a stud. Smith is in a very good position but is probably the riskiest one.

I dunno, not all of them will make it but way too early and I reckon there's plenty of studs in that group.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 02:57 PM 05-10-2023
I liked Carter a lot in college. I imagine he'll be a good pick.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 09:25 AM 05-12-2023
I'm with you, OP. The Eagles have been handed the SB trophy for drafting an all Georgia team and well it's anything but a given.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:06 AM 05-12-2023
Inclined to agree - not real sure why everyone is so gung ho on a pile of prospects that largely haven't panned out.

Time will tell, I suppose.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:21 AM 05-12-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Inclined to agree - not real sure why everyone is so gung ho on a pile of prospects that largely haven't panned out.

Time will tell, I suppose.
It's kinda weird, all those guys fell for reasons...

Also lets be really honest, a DT that is lazy and has character issues has been the calling card for about every bust DT that exists.

Nolan Smith is smaller than Nick Bolton and I believe topped out at 4 sacks as his season high in college...if he was this elite prospect where is the production? I mean shit they didn't even classify him as a starter.

That doesn't even account for them taking guys like Nakobe Dean and Kelee Ringo. It's just weird as hell to see a team just try to take everyone from the team that won the title, is it being lazy?

They used their first 2 picks on the team that won the national title 3 years in a row now....
[Reply]
JPH83 01:32 PM 05-12-2023
I don't really get this. Most of them were obviously really good prospects, not all of them will make it but I don't see any reason to say they've not panned out yet.

Sure, Walker was over-drafted, guys with those measurables always are. Davis maybe too. But every guy listed still has a chance to be very, very good. It's a well coached tree and these are top of the tree athletes.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:51 PM 05-12-2023
Originally Posted by JPH83:
I don't really get this. Most of them were obviously really good prospects, not all of them will make it but I don't see any reason to say they've not panned out yet.

Sure, Walker was over-drafted, guys with those measurables always are. Davis maybe too. But every guy listed still has a chance to be very, very good. It's a well coached tree and these are top of the tree athletes.
I think the issue is that they're all talked about as if they're sure things.
[Reply]
The Franchise 02:17 PM 05-12-2023
If I'm going to choose between a guy who was the only standout on his team versus a guy who was surrounded by immense talent his entire college career.....I'm going with the guy who stood out by himself.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:44 PM 05-12-2023
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I think the issue is that they're all talked about as if they're sure things.
It's become a tautology.

"We loved those guys in college and so we ranked them high on our draft boards. Now they got drafted lower than we expected but that doesn't mean we were off on them, it means the Eagles are fantastic because they agreed with us!!!"

It's just peak tail wagging dog stuff.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 02:50 PM 05-12-2023
Originally Posted by JPH83:

It's because you're draft professional players and not who has the most highlights on the SEC on CBS (RIPPPPP soon).

When you're drafting that much from one school you have to wonder if the pro team is really keyed in on how they will fit in as NFL players in their scheme.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:49 PM 05-12-2023
I think Georgia DL might be the new Alabama OL. It's a unit that always is strong and deep and doesn't have any weak spots, filled with future pros. So they all look and perform a bit to a lot better against almost every team they play in college, because they're that much more talented and that much deeper than those programs.
[Reply]
The Franchise 04:00 PM 05-12-2023
Drafting a guy from a stacked college roster is how you end up with CEH.
[Reply]
RunKC 04:12 PM 05-12-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I think Georgia DL might be the new Alabama OL. It's a unit that always is strong and deep and doesn't have any weak spots, filled with future pros. So they all look and perform a bit to a lot better against almost every team they play in college, because they're that much more talented and that much deeper than those programs.
Nah. Alabama is still better and has the proof to back it up.

Last 5 years Bama has produced Minkah Fitzpatrick, Quinnen Williams, Marlon Humphrey, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, Eddie Jackson, Patrick Surtain.

It’s not even close. And I think we’re gonna add Will Anderson to that list
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:12 PM 05-12-2023
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Nah. Alabama is still better and has the proof to back it up.

Last 5 years Bama has produced Minkah Fitzpatrick, Quinnen Williams, Marlon Humphrey, Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, Eddie Jackson, Patrick Surtain.

It’s not even close. And I think we’re gonna add Will Anderson to that list

I was talking about the OL of Alabama and the DL of Georgia. Those specific units.

Most Alabama OL draftees have performed below their slots (even when not hilariously over drafted like Alex leatherwood). Kind of like UGA DL.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up