ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>What are next offseason's priorities?
Couch-Potato 04:23 PM 05-06-2023
I'm curious what we foresee being next offseasons priorities?

I think we might be deeper than we've ever been, currently. We've had a plethora of draft picks in the last two seasons and I'm not sure we have a single hole on the roster.

I'm assuming we extend C Jones, and have enough to pay Sneed and Gay. I suppose we'll be looking to replace Thuney and find an eventual replacement for Kelce, but we seem pretty stacked and I'm wondering if next year we have enough assets and cap space built up to take a swing at an elite weapon?

What do you guys think?
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:42 AM 05-09-2023
I think we're really well positioned to continue turning over our depth with young draft picks and developing a roster that can continue to dominate for years to come.

From here, I hope we'll get the chance to sprinkle in 1 or 2 spectacular talents that can really take us over the top!
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:44 AM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
I think we're really well positioned to continue turning over our depth with young draft picks and developing a roster that can continue to dominate for years to come.

From here, I hope we'll get the chance to sprinkle in 1 or 2 spectacular talents that can really take us over the top!
In my estimation, the Chiefs should have 8 draft picks.

They traded away a 5th, but they should be adding two 5ths in compensatory formula.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:49 AM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
First of all, I don't think Smith is lasting all season at LT. I'm guessing he gets benched by November.

Second of all, I just don't trust Morris. I don't think you go from middling Big 12 right tackle to NFL caliber left tackle in a year of coaching.

NFL caliber right tackle, however? I can see it, if I just trust in the staff.

The tape is not fun, however. He just loses a lot, and in a lot of different ways.
Seems to me Smith has proven himself a solid LT over the years, and we trust Taylor at RT. I agree that if Smith doesn't work out and Taylor looks good that he gets consideration for LT or we draft a new one. Morris is going to get a shot to compete at RT, but I wonder if he could end up taking Thuney's spot at OG instead. If he turns out to be just a versatile depth OL guy, well, that's ok too!

I think we'll be pretty solid at OL, and pretty much every where else. The floors for all of our positions groups are high! I wouldn't give any of them lower than a B grade IMO. Additionally, we have 3 really spectacular standout players in Mahomes, Jones, and Kelce. Life is good! Thrive.
[Reply]
O.city 09:52 AM 05-09-2023
First of all, I don't think Smith is lasting all season at LT. I'm guessing he gets benched by November.

Second of all, I just don't trust Morris. I don't think you go from middling Big 12 right tackle to NFL caliber left tackle in a year of coaching.

NFL caliber right tackle, however? I can see it, if I just trust in the staff.

The tape is not fun, however. He just loses a lot, and in a lot of different ways.
What about LT in the SEC?
[Reply]
O.city 09:53 AM 05-09-2023
Guys....if they're starting Taylor at RT they're not gonna flip him to LT half way thru the year. It's not fucking Madden, they're not doing that.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:56 AM 05-09-2023
In my estimation, the Chiefs should have 8 draft picks.

They traded away a 5th, but they should be adding two 5ths in compensatory formula.
So we use our cap space to resign Jones, Sneed, Gay, and assuming Smith and/or Tranquil fit like a glove and come back, then you have your back up QBs, Kicker/Punters, plus maybe Mckinnon and a few really cheap depth guys at DL, OL, or DB.... PLUS 8 DRAFT PICKS!?!?...We're pretty well dialed-in at every single position group!

We're "ahead of the curve," "primed for success," "totally-pitted in a clean overhead barrel" :-)
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:57 AM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
Guys....if they're starting Taylor at RT they're not gonna flip him to LT half way thru the year. It's not ****ing Madden, they're not doing that.
Andy Reid literally did it with Eric Fisher in 2015. I have a whole thread on this.
[Reply]
O.city 09:59 AM 05-09-2023
Andy Reid literally did it with Eric Fisher in 2015. I have a whole thread on this.
The guy they drafted 1st overall as a LT who was playing RT because of whatever reason?

Sure.

The RT they signed and has always been a RT?

Yeah, not disastrous at all.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:00 AM 05-09-2023
So we use our cap space to resign Jones, Sneed, Gay, and assuming Smith and/or Tranquil fit like a glove and come back, then you have your back up QBs, Kicker/Punters, plus maybe Mckinnon and a few really cheap depth guys at DL, OL, or DB.... PLUS 8 DRAFT PICKS!?!?...We're pretty well dialed-in at every single position group!

We're "ahead of the curve," "primed for success," "totally-pitted in a clean overhead barrel" :-)
I want to see where our cap space is for next year first before I reach that conclusion, but Veach has built a WR corps that can be competitive for years (and is going to be much better next year and the year after than it is at this exact moment). The DE position is built for the long run, and our back seven has so many players on fantastic contracts, we're spoiled. I also like where we are on the OL if they can figure out that other tackle position in the next year.

I really like how this team has been built for the long run, other than the DT position. Veach has his eyes on the horizon, it seems.

His efforts to jack up the team in the near-term, however, seem to have hit brick wall after brick wall. But he's made lemonade out of lemons by building the team's long-term stability, which I do deeply appreciate.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:25 AM 05-10-2023
I want to see where our cap space is for next year first before I reach that conclusion, but Veach has built a WR corps that can be competitive for years (and is going to be much better next year and the year after than it is at this exact moment). The DE position is built for the long run, and our back seven has so many players on fantastic contracts, we're spoiled. I also like where we are on the OL if they can figure out that other tackle position in the next year.

I really like how this team has been built for the long run, other than the DT position. Veach has his eyes on the horizon, it seems.

His efforts to jack up the team in the near-term, however, seem to have hit brick wall after brick wall. But he's made lemonade out of lemons by building the team's long-term stability, which I do deeply appreciate.
Well you can't do everything all at once, although Veach has done almost that. Some things are going to have to wait.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 09:43 AM 05-13-2023
Is there a FA or trade out there that would make us better?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:46 AM 05-13-2023
Is there a FA or trade out there that would make us better?
Not right now, I don't think. We need to play the kids, and see what we have.

Around the trade deadline, when some teams are dead in the water, we'll probably see some stocking up as we have nearly every year.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:26 PM 05-13-2023
Sneed has special sneaky talent. I hope his ego doesn't get in the way of his ability to win rings right here in KC. Tuney is awesome but there's too much money on the OL. He needs to restructure a 3year extension at a reasonable price. 22mil is just too much.

I'm guessing though that a monster NT would be nice to add next year
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 03:27 AM 05-15-2023
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Not right now, I don't think. We need to play the kids, and see what we have.

Around the trade deadline, when some teams are dead in the water, we'll probably see some stocking up as we have nearly every year.
I agree, but IF we don't feel as confident about one of our positional groups after preseason as we do now there are some names on trade block that would be excited at the opportunity to relocate to KC and win a Super Bowl I think:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2...e-this-season/
[Reply]
JPH83 04:24 AM 05-15-2023
On reflection it's going to be LT isn't it. It's not going to be Smith there, or at least that seems a massive long shot to me given his age at the least. Taylor was given some time to shift and they obviously decided against. Maybe he gets another go but I'd guess he'll end up being an expensive (and hopefully very good) RT that they hope the market ends up setting as a decent deal.

After that I actually think it'll be LB given who we're likely to lose, and given they do seem to value the role. And then WR - I think we'll keep swinging fairly early even if Rice, Moore and/or Toney really hit.

I would say DT but I just don't think this team values it. Unless Nnadi plays like last year and Coburn is somehow not much better, I'd guess we prioritise LBs good against the run and DBs with solid tackling before we care about nose tackles.

That's my way too early guesswork.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up