ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>What are next offseason's priorities?
Couch-Potato 04:23 PM 05-06-2023
I'm curious what we foresee being next offseasons priorities?

I think we might be deeper than we've ever been, currently. We've had a plethora of draft picks in the last two seasons and I'm not sure we have a single hole on the roster.

I'm assuming we extend C Jones, and have enough to pay Sneed and Gay. I suppose we'll be looking to replace Thuney and find an eventual replacement for Kelce, but we seem pretty stacked and I'm wondering if next year we have enough assets and cap space built up to take a swing at an elite weapon?

What do you guys think?
[Reply]
O.city 07:27 AM 05-08-2023
I'm fine looking for a good athletic TE, but we aren't gonna "replace" Kelce with another Kelce so I'm not overly up in arms either way there.

I think you keep stocking the premium positions with draft picks. WR, DE, DT, OT.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:50 AM 05-08-2023
DT
WR
IOL
TE
S
CB
LB

But a lot can change between now and then. Chenal developing and/or Gay or Tranquill re-signing could take LB off the list. Retaining Sneed would. Kinnard turning into a starting caliber OG would take that off the list. Kelce showing real signs of decline would send TE skyrocketing up the list, as would Moore not showing any signs of breaking out.

DT's the only thing that I just cannot see NOT being a high priority item next season. Even if Coburn is what we hope he can be, we're still gonna need to start putting a plan in place for life after Jones and DT depth can only help extend his career anyway.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:10 AM 05-08-2023
G, DT and TE. Unless Gray breaks out this year, which I'm not expecting, then you HAVE to look at Kelce's replacement this upcoming offseason.
[Reply]
O.city 09:27 AM 05-08-2023
If I could get a Gay extension done for cheap, maybe, but otherwise, I dunno that I'm too interested in keeping him ?
[Reply]
RunKC 10:13 AM 05-08-2023
If Kelce shows real signs of aging I wouldn’t be mad about the Chiefs pulling what the Packers just did getting multiple athletic TE’s with size. Obviously they had more draft capitol but if we used say a 2nd and 4th on those kinda players it would be real smart IMO.

Feel like replacing Kelce would be similar to Tyreek. Gotta have a variety of players giving you different things.

And as much as I like Noah Gray, he just doesn’t have the size to do some of the things Kelce can
[Reply]
kccrow 11:03 AM 05-08-2023
Popping in to say hi. Enjoying my little break but noticed this one. Here are some roster analyses and what I feel.

Rank Pos Pending FAs [Pending 2025 FAs]
1 IDL C. Jones, D. Nnadi, B. Cowart, T. Wharton
2 LB D. Tranquill, W. Gay [N. Bolton]
3 OT D. Smith, P. Tega Wanogho [L. Niang]
4 CB1 L. Sneed
5 S3 M. Edwards, D. Bush [J. Reid]
6 QB2 B. Gabbert, S. Buechele
7 RB2 J. McKinnon, C. Edwards-Helaire
8 TE3 J. Fortson [N. Gray]
9 ST J. Winchester, T. Townsend [H. Butker]
10 ER4 M. Danna [C. Omenihu, J. Kaindoh]
11 IOL N. Allegretti [T. Smith, C. Humphrey]
12 WR R. James [K. Toney, M. Valdez-Scantling, J. Watson, Ju. Ross]

Potential 2024 Cuts
DE C. Omenihu, OG J. Thuney, WR, M. Valdez-Scantling

Other Likely PS or FA for 2023
IDL Danny Shelton
TE Blake Bell
C Austin Reiter
WR John Ross
IDL Daniel Wise
RB La'Mical Perine

2024 ERFAs
TE Kendall Blanton
CB Dicaprio Bootle
IDL Phil Hoskins
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
LB Cole Christiansen
WR Cornell Powell
EDGE Malik Herring
S Nazeeh Johnson
LB Jack Cochrane
QB Chris Oladokun
TE Matt Bushman
LG Mike Caliendo
WR Ty Fryfogle
RB Jerrion Ealy
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:32 PM 05-08-2023
So I guess LT can be added back to the list?
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:08 PM 05-08-2023
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
So I guess LT can be added back to the list?
If Smith wins the job, yeah it probably should be added back.
[Reply]
JPH83 03:09 AM 05-09-2023
I really want to start a "what will be the Veach reclamation project for next year" thread. So I'm just going to hijack this one, sorry. I'm thinking all FAs, no trades, and from that...

- Jalen Reagor - He's kind of been a disappointment, but he did show a bit of improvement last year. Good YAC, strong, good athlete.

- Laviska Shenault - Little chance he doen't resign but they've criminally underused him and with Mingo coming in he could drop further. If so I'd LOVE us to move for him.

- Isaiah Simmons - If Gay and Tranquil go it's possible. Probably too expensive but an elite athlete.

- Jonah Williams - Bad last year but actually OK it seems before then.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 06:53 AM 05-09-2023
[QUOTE=kccrow;16937513]Popping in to say hi. Enjoying my little break but noticed this one. Here are some roster analyses and what I feel.

Rank Pos Pending FAs [Pending 2025 FAs]
1 IDL C. Jones, D. Nnadi, B. Cowart, T. Wharton
2 LB D. Tranquill, W. Gay [N. Bolton]
3 OT D. Smith, P. Tega Wanogho [L. Niang]
4 CB1 L. Sneed
5 S3 M. Edwards, D. Bush [J. Reid]
6 QB2 B. Gabbert, S. Buechele
7 RB2 J. McKinnon, C. Edwards-Helaire
8 TE3 J. Fortson [N. Gray]
9 ST J. Winchester, T. Townsend [H. Butker]
10 ER4 M. Danna [C. Omenihu, J. Kaindoh]
11 IOL N. Allegretti [T. Smith, C. Humphrey]
12 WR R. James [K. Toney, M. Valdez-Scantling, J. Watson, Ju. Ross]

Guys in bold are the only real difference makers on this list IMO, hoping Tranquill and Smith ball out but the rest I wouldn't worry about letting walk. If we can keep the guys in bold and those two play well, we end up with very few holes to fill next season outside some depth pieces.
[Reply]
Direckshun 08:40 AM 05-09-2023
I said LT before, but I stated in another thread that I think Andy Reid legitimately views Jawaan Taylor the same way he viewed Eric Fisher once upon a time: a guy who can man either tackle spot.

My guess is that in 2024, the Chiefs will either graduate Wanya Morris to starter at RT and flip Taylor to LT, or they'll just go out and find the best tackle they can get their mitts on at a reasonable price or draft pick and start Taylor at the spot that compliments him best. (I think this team has started to hate Niang's guts.)

I do think that tackle will remain a need going into 2024, but not strictly left tackle. I think Reid views Taylor as more flexible than that.
[Reply]
O.city 08:46 AM 05-09-2023
Why can't Morris play LT?
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:01 AM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
Why can't Morris play LT?
Watch his tape at Oklahoma.

He can barely play RT. He was not an awesome draft pick.

He's basically just a bet on measurables and coaching. I wouldn't count on Morris much going forward.

I'm just trusting that the brass is smarter than me when I say he could start next year. I really don't think he can.
[Reply]
O.city 09:06 AM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
Watch his tape at Oklahoma.

He can barely play RT. He was not an awesome draft pick.

He's basically just a bet on measurables and coaching. I wouldn't count on Morris much going forward.

I'm just trusting that the brass is smarter than me when I say he could start next year. I really don't think he can.
If you're going on measurables and coaching....have them to all that at LT. He's not playing this year, next year get him ready to step in for Smith at LT.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:40 AM 05-09-2023
Originally Posted by O.city:
If you're going on measurables and coaching....have them to all that at LT. He's not playing this year, next year get him ready to step in for Smith at LT.
First of all, I don't think Smith is lasting all season at LT. I'm guessing he gets benched by November.

Second of all, I just don't trust Morris. I don't think you go from middling Big 12 right tackle to NFL caliber left tackle in a year of coaching.

NFL caliber right tackle, however? I can see it, if I just trust in the staff.

The tape is not fun, however. He just loses a lot, and in a lot of different ways.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up