ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1116 of 3903
« First < 11661610161066110611121113111411151116 111711181119112011261166121616162116 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Donger 10:37 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
He also said this.....so just keep some objectivity
His statement on January 21 was accurate. He said we should take it seriously and that, right now, it wasn't a major threat to the US. It wasn't. We only had one case.

And yes, I know that certain people are being critical, and I know where. So, let's let this die here, and take it up in DC.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:38 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
Deaths will be going up for at least a couple of weeks yet. We're not going to open up the economy with 1000 people a day dying from this. The average person just won't buy into thinking it is a good idea.
You have to qualify that. If we have 1,000 people a day dying in 2 states the rest of the country is going to become impatient being locked down. If no one is dying in states 1-48 in any significant amount then the average person is going to question WTF they are still being locked down.

Hopefully we won't see a spread that spiked anything. But at the moment the majority of deaths are coming from 2-3 states.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:39 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I just think we need to do more to figure out when and how much the actual peak is.

Maybe we’re already there?
This is the exact same discussion that happened last weekend. And while it's great that NYC has some good data, it's not the entire country. You have to look at the entire clinical picture, not just the information you want to see.
[Reply]
cdcox 10:39 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I know this is an anxious time, but the worst thing you can be right now is impatient. If I have a patient getting antibiotics for sepsis, I don't stop the antibiotics whenever their CRP and lactate levels start to drop. All I'm going to do in that case is cause a rebound infection and make things worse, because the therapies I previously used may not as be as effective and the patient will clinically worsen.

We don't just need to get to the peak: we need to get past the peak and then down the slope on the other side so as to avoid another peak that is as bad or worse than the first.
This.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:40 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
His statement on January 21 was accurate. He said we should take it seriously and that, right now, it wasn't a major threat to the US. It wasn't. We only had one case.

And yes, I know that certain people are being critical, and I know where. So, let's let this die here, and take it up in DC.
This isn't political. It obviously was a major threat thus our entire country being locked down now. My point is that he is human and the position he has doesn't make him right on everything by default.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:42 AM 04-05-2020
This isn't political. It obviously was a major threat thus our entire country being locked down now. My point is that he is human and the position he has doesn't make him right on everything by default.
You can't say that while simultaneously arguing that people won't tolerate a lockdown that started two months later for much longer.
[Reply]
Donger 10:43 AM 04-05-2020
He wasn't wrong, pete.
[Reply]
cdcox 10:44 AM 04-05-2020
You have to qualify that. If we have 1,000 people a day dying in 2 states the rest of the country is going to become impatient being locked down. If no one is dying in states 1-48 in any significant amount then the average person is going to question WTF they are still being locked down.

Hopefully we won't see a spread that spiked anything. But at the moment the majority of deaths are coming from 2-3 states.
You continually try to localize this. There are a lot of states that new cases are growing at a rate of more than 10% a day, event though they have been on lockdown for a couple of weeks. It has never been confined to 2 or 3 states. There are places it is more active and less active. Most of the less active are becuase of measures that have been put it place not because a very infectous virus "isn't there".
[Reply]
O.city 10:45 AM 04-05-2020
This is the exact same discussion that happened last weekend. And while it's great that NYC has some good data, it's not the entire country. You have to look at the entire clinical picture, not just the information you want to see.
Understandable

But there’s so much more at play here.
[Reply]
jerryaldini 10:48 AM 04-05-2020

Yeah most of the states have projected peaks late this month, with levels declining back to current levels by late May. Hopefully start incremental normalization by June in many places. But until rapid results testing is widely available everything I'm reading suggests policymakers won't appriove full normalization, and certainly not mass gatherings.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:58 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Understandable

But there’s so much more at play here.
There is a lot at play. We don't have enough of a testing apparatus and our hospital resources are stretched to the thinnest of levels in the hot spots. We also know that we're not all crossing this minefield at the same time. Some areas just started locking down--other areas are still flouting a lot of restrictions.

This is a dynamic event with a multi-week lag and we have to understand our limitations before rushing headlong into a desired endgame.

We also have to appreciate that things change. It may take a few years before things are truly back to the way they were, and even then, it's going to have a profound impact on our personal and national psyche. I think we can all agree that we wish that wasn't the case, but it doesn't change the reality of what we need to do from here on.

This will change the way we live, and as much as we want to wash it away or ignore it, we can't, lest we end up in a far worse situation, both economically and in public health.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:59 AM 04-05-2020
You can't say that while simultaneously arguing that people won't tolerate a lockdown that started two months later for much longer.
Why not? Dude, Dr. Fauci is human. Just because he is a doctor doesn't making infallible.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:00 AM 04-05-2020
There is a lot at play. We don't have enough of a testing apparatus and our hospital resources are stretched to the thinnest of levels in the hot spots. We also know that we're not all crossing this minefield at the same time. Some areas just started locking down--other areas are still flouting a lot of restrictions.

This is a dynamic event with a multi-week lag and we have to understand our limitations before rushing headlong into a desired endgame.

We also have to appreciate that things change. It may take a few years before things are truly back to the way they were, and even then, it's going to have a profound impact on our personal and national psyche. I think we can all agree that we wish that wasn't the case, but it doesn't change the reality of what we need to do from here on.

This will change the way we live, and as much as we want to wash it away or ignore it, we can't, lest we end up in a far worse situation, both economically and in public health.
Life is definitely going to change. Life changed after WW2, it changed after 9/11 and it will change after this. How much or how little is anyone's guess we will have to wait and see.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:01 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by cdcox:
You continually try to localize this. There are a lot of states that new cases are growing at a rate of more than 10% a day, event though they have been on lockdown for a couple of weeks. It has never been confined to 2 or 3 states. There are places it is more active and less active. Most of the less active are becuase of measures that have been put it place not because a very infectous virus "isn't there".
No, I don't. I am pointing out the data is it is. The majority of deaths is indeed isolated to 2 states, 3 if you want to go further. No one said the virus "isn't there". You are reading what you want to read.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:02 AM 04-05-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
He wasn't wrong, pete.
We'll agree to disagree.
[Reply]
Page 1116 of 3903
« First < 11661610161066110611121113111411151116 111711181119112011261166121616162116 > Last »
Up