ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 63
« First < 162223242526 2728293036 > Last »
Media Center>CBS: Star Trek
keg in kc 03:47 PM 11-02-2015

Originally Posted by :
The Next Chapter of the Legendary “Star Trek” TV Franchise Will Premiere on the CBS Television Network, Then Move to CBS All Access Digital Subscription Service

Alex Kurtzman, Co-Writer and Producer of the Blockbuster Films

“Star Trek” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” to Executive Produce

CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally

For Television and Multiple Platforms

STUDIO CITY, CALIF. AND NEW YORK, N.Y. – Nov. 2, 2015 – CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the “Star Trek” franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous “Star Trek” television series.

The brand-new “Star Trek” will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new “Star Trek” TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films “Star Trek” (2009) with Roberto Orci, and “Star Trek Into Darkness” (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series SCORPION and LIMITLESS, along with Kadin and Orci, and for HAWAII FIVE-0 with Orci.

“Star Trek,” which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original “Star Trek” spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the “Star Trek” television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original “Star Trek” series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give ‘Star Trek’ fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run ‘Star Trek’ series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic ‘Star Trek,’ and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce ‘Star Trek’s’ next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film “Star Trek Beyond,” which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016

[Reply]
unlurking 10:24 PM 11-21-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
The Animated Series had an episode with the original 1701 Enterprise having a recreation deck outfitted with holographic projectors.

As long as you don't see Lorca use a holo-Thomspon to gun down Klingons, it's not techincally breaking the canon.
Tried watching the animated series as a kid, not a fan.

I do remember them introducing the holodeck in TNG though.

Other than the animated series, the holodeck in Discovery predates holodeck usage on Starfleet ships by 100 years.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Holodeck
[Reply]
Frazod 11:06 PM 11-21-2017
As I've said before, Lorca has saved this series for me. Far and away the most interesting character. Kind of reminds me of Admiral Kane from Battlestar Galactica.
[Reply]
Rausch 11:14 PM 11-21-2017
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Imagine it's about a guy who drives a car in the 1960s, yet the car looks like it's from 2020.

These clowns were so intent on making everything look cool, sleek, modern and different that they clearly flipped the bird to everybody who'd ever watched Star Trek in the past. That's it in the nutshell.

If you're new to Star Trek, or have only experienced the Abrams movies, you won't care. If you're an old school Star Trek guy like me, it will piss you off. You'll either accept it based on the other things the show provides, which I for the most part have, or you won't.

But I still don't like it.

I still prefer the fan made Star Trek Continues to this. Vastly.
I see what you're saying but I also see it from the POV of a comics fan that watched Marvel go down the tubes due to politics.

I can see how it's being forced in here.

While I was always a fan of dystopian books and films I loved ST for the fact it wasn't. It was the possible best of our nature. It was us not nuking ourselves or depending on war to fund economies.

JMO but it seems like it's taking a step back, and not forward...
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:42 PM 11-21-2017
Of the current sci-fi shows that are still making episodes, here's how they rank for me:

1. The Expanse

(pretty significant gap)

2. Westworld
3. Discovery

4. Killjoys

5. The Orville

And after that is all the other stuff I don't watch or haven't gotten around to watching. If I choose to do so.

It's great that there are plenty of sci-fi options out there. I don't really think there's a way that a sci-fi fan can be disappointed in the options for current TV shows in the genre these days. Remember that drought from when Battlestar Galactica ended up until around 2015? It was the worst I've ever seen.

In the year 2017, sci-fi is on the rise. As low as the ratings are every time it comes on, SyFy is deeply invested in The Expanse and won't let it die (good news for fans). Killjoys has been renewed for two more seasons, at which point they'll write the show to its conclusion and not just drop it as an uncompleted project. The Orville has been renewed. Westworld has been delayed, but that was widely successful and will probably last for a long time. No clue how CBS measures ratings or success for their streaming platform, but I imagine Discovery will go for awhile, too. And if any of these REALLY gain traction the way Westworld has, we're gonna see even more options come out on different networks. Some good, some bad. But the point is... OPTIONS.

Star Trek isn't what I wanted it to be. I watch an episode of Discovery, and I go, "ehhh. Compelling in spots, but fuck these new Klingons." But I'm no longer dependent on Star Trek alone. I've got all this other stuff that's way better and can be thought of as successes unto themselves.
[Reply]
unlurking 09:14 AM 11-22-2017
I'd add Dark Matter to that list as well. Low budget, but unique story I thought. Also have to include Dr. Who. Seasons tend to vary in terms of quality, but still watch regularly.

Also very disappointed that Oasis wasn't (yet?) picked up by Amazon. Loved the pilot.
[Reply]
unlurking 09:24 AM 11-22-2017
Oh, and can't forget some upcoming shows ( Snow Crash, Ringworld, Lazarus ).

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amaz...ld-1202576048/

I am totally psyched for these. SciFi TV shows are definitely much better and in greater number than the post Farscape/BSG years where we saw shows like Firefly get cut.
[Reply]
ottawa_chiefs_fan 09:26 AM 11-22-2017
I am an old Star Trek guy (remember watching them in B&W on Thursday nights). In fact, one of the kids that wrote a letter back then to not cancel the series.

I can overlook the inconsistencies - I am enjoying it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:47 AM 11-23-2017
Originally Posted by Rausch:
I see what you're saying but I also see it from the POV of a comics fan that watched Marvel go down the tubes due to politics.
Huh? Whats political in Marvel so much that its in the shitter?
Originally Posted by ottawa_chiefs_fan:
I am an old Star Trek guy (remember watching them in B&W on Thursday nights). In fact, one of the kids that wrote a letter back then to not cancel the series.

I can overlook the inconsistencies - I am enjoying it.
Old school fan here too. What they have done to the Klingons is an abomination to all of us.

I had no idea this is set in a time frame before the original Star Trek. WTF? How are they going to explain all the differences? It seemed to me it was 100's of years in the future. They have totally screwed this up and now need to use some cheap alternative reality jump to fix their mistakes.

How can you screw up a Star Trek this bad?
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 11:04 PM 12-22-2017
Gonna put this here. Star Trek continues just put up for free download blu-ray and DVD disc images for their entire series, along with cover art. You can make your own DVD/Blu-Ray sets!

Download the good stuff here;

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/downloads.html
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:20 PM 01-07-2018
This show sucks.

I might be alone on this, but I never really cared for the mirror universe episodes.

If I enjoyed what Star Trek did with them (a few of the DS9s were pretty good) it was nice to just have a small helping of mirror universe stuff.

An entire half season of this garbage is dumb.

I can also handle changes. I can handle lots of changes.

The tone of this show is just... it's dumb. I fucking hate it.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 07:03 PM 01-08-2018
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
This show sucks.

I might be alone on this, but I never really cared for the mirror universe episodes.

If I enjoyed what Star Trek did with them (a few of the DS9s were pretty good) it was nice to just have a small helping of mirror universe stuff.

An entire half season of this garbage is dumb.

I can also handle changes. I can handle lots of changes.

The tone of this show is just... it's dumb. I ****ing hate it.
It’s poorly written, structured, and acted.

The look is off - the mythos is off.

I can’t think of many TNG episodes that aren’t better. Sub Rosa maybe.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:26 AM 01-11-2018
Regardless of how you feel about the current series, if you're a fan of Star Trek in its earliest incarnation- you're doing yourself a disservice if you have Netflix and haven't watched Episode 4.1 of Black Mirror called "USS Callister".
[Reply]
Bowser 09:03 AM 01-11-2018
Regardless of how you feel about the current series, if you're a fan of Star Trek in its earliest incarnation- you're doing yourself a disservice if you have Netflix and haven't watched Episode 4.1 of Black Mirror called "USS Callister".
That was a great episode. Enjoyed that very much.
[Reply]
Rausch 10:28 AM 01-11-2018
Truff.

Excellent episode that deals heavily in ST lore but both is and isn't about that.

Hard to explain but a must watch for Trekkies...
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:39 PM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Truff.

Excellent episode that deals heavily in ST lore but both is and isn't about that.

Hard to explain but a must watch for Trekkies...
never watched this show before. Checked it out.

Got to agree with the others. Season 4.1 is a must see for all Star Trek fans. Twighlight zone Trekkie episode. Good TV.

On the other hand this new Star Trek still sucks. Good guys become bad guys, bad guys become good guys? First season? Lame ass shit. They need to jump to a Parrell universe and take this shit show somewhere else.

The fans have been screaming for the Federation v Klingons and we get this crap? Everyone associated with this travesty needs to be fired.
[Reply]
Page 26 of 63
« First < 162223242526 2728293036 > Last »
Up