ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 53 of 1203
« First < 3434950515253 54555657631031535531053 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:22 PM 12-12-2015
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
The most common mistakes are not enough moisture in the dough, not enough flavor in the masa, and letting the dough dry out.

I bet you could make AWESOME tamales. You just need them fresh and moist and flavirful. Nothing worse than bland dry masa.

I'm a big fan of mixing some if the salsa into the masa from whatever meat you fill with. Lots of mantecs and chicken broth.

Platano leaf helps keep moist. No corn husk
The dough wasn't dry. The flavor needed work I suppose but I was surprised that was even in them. I think it was unexpected but more of a texture thing. To be honest, the husk is what intrigued me to try them. I thought those were cool looking.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:25 PM 12-12-2015
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Same way for me. I've hated grits my whole life. Until I discovered a chef that treated the right. Now I make them at home semi-regularly.
I cannot find any around here. Not even at the natural market or Fresh Market. No one carries them. Not the stone ground anyway. I got some two years ago at a Christmas show in Panama City. So I guess I'll have to re-order more online. What a drag to do that an pay shipping.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:26 PM 12-12-2015
And you would think being in the south that some organic or natural food market would carry stone ground grits. We even have a new Whole Foods but nothing there either.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:27 PM 12-12-2015
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
I cannot find any around here. Not even at the natural market or Fresh Market. No one carries them. Not the stone ground anyway. I got some two years ago at a Christmas show in Panama City. So I guess I'll have to re-order more online. What a drag to do that an pay shipping.

Bummer. Maybe because I'm in the Deep South, I can find them in the grocery. But there's a small granary that provides them for one of the upscale restaurants, and I get mine (and fresh eggs) from them.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:28 PM 12-12-2015
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
And you would think being in the south that some organic or natural food market would carry stone ground grits. We even have a new Whole Foods but nothing there either.

You're in Florida, right? That's IN the south, but it's definitely not the South. Drive to Georgia or Alabama and stock up.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 09:31 PM 12-12-2015
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
You're in Florida, right? That's IN the south, but it's definitely not the South. Drive to Georgia or Alabama and stock up.
I am outside of Tampa Bay up the coast to the north more. I didn't think of that. There's an idea. I believe I've an assignment coming up in January in Georgia. It will depend on my hours as things can be scheduled uber tight making things rush, rush.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:21 AM 12-14-2015
Ordered a pretty meh bowl of ramen yesterday. It was Korean style with shrimp and kimchi. I felt it was overpowered by green onion and the shrimp stock didn't have near the depth that the pork broth has. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:29 AM 12-14-2015
I've had good tamales, but still greatly prefer a decent empanada.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 02:10 PM 12-14-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
I've had good tamales, but still greatly prefer a decent empanada.
Oh yeah! I'd take an empanada over a tamale anyday!
[Reply]
lewdog 03:50 PM 12-14-2015
That's true too. I'm not in love with Tamales but getting homemade ones once a year is a nice treat. I do grow tired of them rather quickly though so a dozen usually does me.
[Reply]
Stewie 03:52 PM 12-14-2015
Originally Posted by srvy:
Speaking of Aldi have you tried the Priano Marinara sauce they sell? Thats about as good as it gets for store bought. ATK should put that one in there taste test!
The family that started Ragu makes Aldi sauces. They sold the Ragu brand in the '60s and started another company. They now make pasta sauce for Aldi along with sauces for Rinaldi and Newman's Own.

There used to be a great website that listed who made Aldi products. It was quite interesting to see who made products for them.
[Reply]
Stewie 04:32 PM 12-15-2015
I made rye bread today. It's sitting on the cooling rack and smells awesome. Sometimes simple things are the best.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 04:51 PM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by Stewie:
I made rye bread today. It's sitting on the cooling rack and smells awesome. Sometimes simple things are the best.
Yum, that sounds good. I should use up my rye flour by making a few of those.

Pile on corned beef with a hunk of cheese, sauerkraut with a pickle on the side.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 06:02 PM 12-15-2015
I prefer ceviche on tamales. Otherwise I won't eat a tamale. But usually it is just ceviche over a tostada with a light layer of mayo, or sliced avocado.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 06:05 PM 12-15-2015
Originally Posted by Stewie:
How any one can give up bread I will never know. Bread is best.
[Reply]
Page 53 of 1203
« First < 3434950515253 54555657631031535531053 > Last »
Up